Tubeless tyre first assembly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Schwalbe pro ones first assembly says the tyre must be run for 25 km after first assembly or sealing cannot be guaranteed. With Xmas not been out on new bike and the ice & snow have curtailed that for this week too. I’m itching to get out on it before returning to site next week but chances look slim. If it’s the case then the bike could be stood a further 2 weeks. I put 75-85 psi in the tyres first assembly but last week they where flat. Do I need to run the bike or will it be ok and still seal properly if all that makes sense

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Haha! Tubeless bicycle tyres, what a wheeze :laugh::laugh::laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Schwalbe pro ones first assembly says the tyre must be run for 25 km after first assembly or sealing cannot be guaranteed. With Xmas not been out on new bike and the ice & snow have curtailed that for this week too. I’m itching to get out on it before returning to site next week but chances look slim. If it’s the case then the bike could be stood a further 2 weeks. I put 75-85 psi in the tyres first assembly but last week they where flat. Do I need to run the bike or will it be ok and still seal properly if all that makes sense
I used Stans sealer in mine, bounced them on the floor a few times and kept spinning them, had no problems throughout the year, i have had to add a bit of air a few times. but there is no going back for me.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have never fitted and gone straight for a ride. I tend to inflate very high to over 110 psi to ensure they are well and truly seated and then spin the wheels a few times to coat to tyres. They will lose a lot overnight or over the next few days before I go for a ride,

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Ah @bladesman73 I think my explanation is poor. I have tubeless on my MTB and love them, I am happy to have tubeless on new bike and just querying manufacturers recommendation of 25k when first fitted to ensure good seal. Is this the norm ?
My MTB I literally rode out of shop and on to trails so never gave it a thought

bladesman73

Über Member
What hassle would that be?
Filling your tyres with gunk and hoping it works if you get a puncture and when it doesnt having to put in a tube anyway. Has happened to plenty of people I know. Not worth it. My opinion from the experience of people i know.

livpoksoc

Guru
Filling your tyres with gunk and hoping it works if you get a puncture and when it doesnt having to put in a tube anyway. Has happened to plenty of people I know. Not worth it. My opinion from the experience of people i know.
Most helpful contribution ever?

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Isn't what the OP is experiencing hassle? Certainly sounds like it to me....
No hassle, just an enquiring mind as to if it’s necessary to follow manufacturers guideline of running 24km once first fit otherwise correct sealing cannot be guaranteed. Thought some techy types would be able to enlighten me more. Never had hassle with my MTB though ........yet

Lookrider

I guess you best follow manufactures instruction by the book ...
However I have had swalbe thunder burts on and had no issue other than the norm of
I cannot recall exactly but I probly put tyres on..whacked them up ..then checked them daily for a day or two and re inflating if needed
They are at times hard to seat and you need to hear the loud pop of the tyres sealing on rims ..perhaps take to a garage to seat on rims ( I have a home made garden spray works ok )
I also have pair of Hutchinson tyres that have thin side walls that I can see the white sealant seep through for a few days before they are correctly sealed
This is norm for these light race tyre with thin side walls...

Do not be put off by the detractors who usually have not got tubeless but will say of the odd occasion mates tyres have " failed"
They would have failed because they ran dry of sealant without the owner knowing ...how did that happen we wonder ...because the owner had several punctures that he was unawares of because his sealant did what it said on the tin ..it leaked out marginally then sealed the puncture
Repeat this several times over until theres no sealant left then guess what the next puncture becomes the only one that you are aware if and blame tbe tubeless set up
Just be aware and top up every few months
I was riding with 3 others through bridleway with recent hedge cutting ..at the end of the BW all 3 had multiple thorns and flats
I had 7 thorns in the rear and 4 in the front with no loss of pressure ...days after that those 3 and others in the group went to tubeless conversion kits

This is a fact..no exaggeration EVERY rider I know who has ever had a puncture with a TUBE has HAD to stop and remove the tyre .repair or replace the tube and re instate the tyre EVERY time 100% without fail .this is not what tubeless users have told me of tubes but what I have actually seen of tubes
You stick to tubeless mate
There more than worth the bother

bladesman73

Über Member
Most helpful contribution ever?
So a response explaining the experiences of people I know with tubeless tyres isnt helpful? The OP initially explained about an utterly ridiculous situation that wouldnt be an issue if they used clinchers and as I initially said unless you are racing is all of the faff worth it? If people do not want to read differences of opinion then they shouldnt be on a forum.

bladesman73

Über Member
Isn't what the OP is experiencing hassle? Certainly sounds like it to me....
Apparently it isnt hassle worrying whether or not the sealant will work will prevent them from riding. All I did was suggest it wasnt worth the hassle and use clinchers and the tubeless nazis jumped all over me :laugh:

Top Bottom