Tubeless tyre first assembly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tripster

So a response explaining the experiences of people I know with tubeless tyres isnt helpful? The OP initially explained about an utterly ridiculous situation that wouldnt be an issue if they used clinchers and as I initially said unless you are racing is all of the faff worth it? If people do not want to read differences of opinion then they shouldnt be on a forum.

I appreciated your feed back. I didnt explain very well but its not a problem I was just interested in the reasons so I
Apparently it isnt hassle worrying whether or not the sealant will work will prevent them from riding. All I did was suggest it wasnt worth the hassle and use clinchers and the tubeless nazis jumped all over me :laugh:

One of my bikes is tubes and no problems and one is tubeless and never a problem. The new bike I chose tubeless as it suits me and the roads around here are littered with thorns at times and never had a puncture with tubeless but had a fair few with tubed. It was really just me been inquisitive rather than facing a ridiculous issue
Anyhowssss I hope thats a better explanation

lane

Veteran
Give tyres a good spin should be ok

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I put 75-85 psi in the tyres first assembly but last week they where flat.
Doesn't sound very convenient or hassle free to me. Got fed up with having to top up the tyres to a useable pressure on my sons tubeless mtb tyres everytime he wanted to use it. I eventually bit the bullet and cleaned out all the gloop and fitted traditional tubes, no problems since, rare pressure adjustments required and shock horror, no punctures either.
Just seems a more controllable way to do things and an occasional puncture is no big deal.

footloose crow

Über Member
Hi Tripster. If you already run tubeless on your MTB you prob already know this...new tubeless set up usually needs good coating on inside of tyre from the sealant to work really well. Spinning the tyres a few times does this but a ride does it better. I guess Schwalbe are giving you belt and braces advice. My tubeless tyres lost pressure when first installed in the way you describe too. It got better after a few rides and now I only have to put in about 5psi once a week. Never sure if that is because I lose pressure attaching the pump hose to check the pressure!

I am not an expert, lots of people know more than me but for what its worth I reckon you should keep them pumped up, keep spinning them and get out for a ride when you can. Worked for me. Given the divide in experiences between roadies and MTB riders on tubeless I just wonder if the MTB set up simply works better. For roadies with a narrower tyre and higher pressures perhaps it takes more effort?

Let us know how it works out.....

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Doesn't sound very convenient or hassle free to me. Got fed up with having to top up the tyres to a useable pressure on my sons tubeless mtb tyres everytime he wanted to use it. I eventually bit the bullet and cleaned out all the gloop and fitted traditional tubes, no problems since, rare pressure adjustments required and shock horror, no punctures either.
Just seems a more controllable way to do things and an occasional puncture is no big deal.
I have ridden MTB today and its been stood for 3 weeks, tyres where ok so never touched them. This is also why I was curious as to Schwalbes advice

Hi Tripster. If you already run tubeless on your MTB you prob already know this...new tubeless set up usually needs good coating on inside of tyre from the sealant to work really well. Spinning the tyres a few times does this but a ride does it better. I guess Schwalbe are giving you belt and braces advice. My tubeless tyres lost pressure when first installed in the way you describe too. It got better after a few rides and now I only have to put in about 5psi once a week. Never sure if that is because I lose pressure attaching the pump hose to check the pressure!

I am not an expert, lots of people know more than me but for what its worth I reckon you should keep them pumped up, keep spinning them and get out for a ride when you can. Worked for me. Given the divide in experiences between roadies and MTB riders on tubeless I just wonder if the MTB set up simply works better. For roadies with a narrower tyre and higher pressures perhaps it takes more effort?

Let us know how it works out.....
Many thanks for that. Exactly sort of info I was interested in and good to know. :okay:

livpoksoc

Guru
So a response explaining the experiences of people I know with tubeless tyres isnt helpful? The OP initially explained about an utterly ridiculous situation that wouldnt be an issue if they used clinchers and as I initially said unless you are racing is all of the faff worth it? If people do not want to read differences of opinion then they shouldnt be on a forum.
Nah it just seemed completely irrelevant to the situation. It's just a bit off form to come across antagnostic when someone asks for help. The answer will rarely be 'lol shouldn't have gone to that expense now should you'

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tubeless are clinchers.

You appear to be confusing them with tubulars.

I've set up quite a few TL wheels for road use now and i've never ridden then immediately for that 25km after set up although i have usually given them a spin around the block. This of course after the usual correct seating, sealant fill and then as someone mentioned a few good spins etc.

Got 2 more sets to do in the coming weeks and will just do the same:okay:

Top Bottom