Tubeless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is anyone here running tubeless tyres on their daily ride? I am seriously considering putting them on my hybrid as they seem like a great idea but they are still a pretty new deal and quite expensive hence any genuine experiences would be good to hear about.

Been using tubeless for a while now and on a regularly used commuter(was a Planet X now a Light Blue Robinson);wheels are built with H+Son archetypes so not strictly tubeless.Tyres were/are Hutchinson Sector 28's and currently Schwalbe S-One 30's(now called G-One speed).

Not being a tubeless rim they are easy to put on but trickier to seal;sometimes needed extra rim tape.

Only had a couple of punctures that stopped me and both were substantial bits of glass, otherwise all ok.

One thing I would recommend is using orange sealant rather than Stan's as it seems to seal better at higher pressures.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Is there a reason why you are looking at tubeless rather than p*ncture resistant tyres or similar?

My observation, from a few colleagues with tubeless tyres, is that they don't really get any less punctures than myself on Gatorskins. But if you have a catastrophic failure you can normally bodge a repair to get you home if you carry a basic repair kit, or at least can borrow it from a passing cyclist. The fallback for tubeless tyres seems to be to stick a tube in it....

But everyone's commute is different, mine includes miles of countryside in the middle of nowhere. If you are in a city resilience is probably less important.

Reactions: mjr

Bodhbh

Guru
Chain reaction had some tubeless Marathon Supremes on offer so I took the plunge. Not really put in enough miles to comment much, although I suspect by the time I get a puncture the sealant will've dried out. Not too much of a problem, as I commute on the MTB as well and I have sealant and a tubeless repair kit in the 'omni-repair kit' that gets swapped between bikes, but illustrates you may only be swapping one stripe of faff with another.

Top Bottom