Tubeless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I don't have one of the large volume pumps, but I do have two tubeless tyres that need changing on my off-road bike.

Does it work to inflate them quickly with a Co2 cylinder, then wait a while while the tyre warms up again?

13 rider

Guru
I have used co2 to blow a tyre onto the rim before seems a waste of a canister though . Some wider tyres can be seated with just a track pump . Try and get half the tyre up near the edge of the rim and out of the centre of the rim

iluvmybike

Über Member
You can use a CO2 cylinder - best if you have the 16g ones for a wider tyre or there won't be enough volume Once the tyre is seated deflate and replace the CO2 with air - CO2 is fine for a quick fix but dissipates away quire quickly

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bear in mind that some sealants will react with CO2, with adverse consequences (rendered less effective). If you can't achieve it any other more environment friendly way, use it and lose it. And refill with an O2/N2 mix.

I bought a set of hutchinson fusion 5 performance 25mm tubeless tyres. I don't have an air compressor nor one of those fancy pumps for tubeless so I'll try with my normal track pump. I've read online that track pump should be enough. We'll see.

Alex321

Veteran
I bought a set of hutchinson fusion 5 performance 25mm tubeless tyres. I don't have an air compressor nor one of those fancy pumps for tubeless so I'll try with my normal track pump. I've read online that track pump should be enough. We'll see.
I installed those in 28mm a couple of weeks ago.

Front went on no problem with just the track pump, but I couldn't get the rear to seat.

Took it to Halfords, and they got it seated enough to get pressure in with their "big" pump, but it wouldn't hold pressure for more than a few seconds then. Turned out there is a hairline crack in the rim. Once I got sealant in, it is holding fine.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not really. I ran tubeless on mtn bike from 2006. Never had an issue with using the pump carried on bike.

You were lucky then. The majority won't go up on a track pump but it's all rim/tyre dependent.

You must have had a very friendly rim/tyre combo if mounting with a portable pump.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You were lucky then. The majority won't go up on a track pump but it's all rim/tyre dependent.

You must have had a very friendly rim/tyre combo if mounting with a portable pump.

I think a good 9 years of no issues says it wasn’t really luck. I was running UST mind rather than this non standards based tubeless you see these days.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I don't have one of the large volume pumps, but I do have two tubeless tyres that need changing on my off-road bike.

Does it work to inflate them quickly with a Co2 cylinder, then wait a while while the tyre warms up again?
Take them to a local mechanic or similar, quick blast with a blow gun on the airline will seat the beads. Then you can put the sealant in after, which is also not as messy

I installed those in 28mm a couple of weeks ago.

Front went on no problem with just the track pump, but I couldn't get the rear to seat.

Took it to Halfords, and they got it seated enough to get pressure in with their "big" pump, but it wouldn't hold pressure for more than a few seconds then. Turned out there is a hairline crack in the rim. Once I got sealant in, it is holding fine.
What about the hairline crack in the rim ? That sounds serious ?

Jody

Stubborn git
I think a good 9 years of no issues says it wasn’t really luck. I was running UST mind rather than this non standards based tubeless you see these days.

It was more pointing out the majority of people will not get tubeless to seat with a portable pump.

Top Bottom