Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Better resistance can be achieved by avoiding tyres with pitiful puncture protection also. Comparing some tubeless tyres with cheap stock tyres is apples and oranges. I don't think I ever got a puncture with my marathon plus road tyres, using bog standard tubes, and I certainly never had to worry about topping up with sealant. :okay:

Of course, I'm not arguing the case that they ride better, or have less rolling resistance etc, just that puncture resistance can be achieved even with tube setups, one does not need to immediately give up on tubes.

You obviously can get a puncture with Marathon Plus - I did. That was before I knew better than to use such tyres. With decent tubed tyres I seemed to get a puncture every 3,500 miles or so. With rubbish tubed tyres that were worn I ended up with 4 on one Audax. With my tubless I reckon I will get a puncture I need to repair in maybe 7,000* ** miles which is nearly three years for me. Done one year already without any puncture that I know of.

* Based on law of averages actual results may vary.
**Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

CPRam

Regular
I used tubeless as my bike came with Giant Gavia TL tyres as standard. These lasted the best part of 5000 miles with no issues, not a single puncture.

With so much confidence in TL I swapped them out for a set of Hutchinson Fusion 5 as they get a great write up, but stupidly I went for the performance range. I had nothing but issues from the first ride. Several punctures that most would reseal with no issues, but so many that didn't. I lost my confidence with them and ended up going back to tubes for the winter.

I'm planning on returning to a tubeless setup once I've worn these tyres out which will probably be around March. But this time I will go for a more everyday setup like the GP5000TL or the new Schwalbe Pro One's. Not race ready tyres for bimbling around country lanes!

lane

Veteran
My GP5000TL have done 3,500km on lots of country lanes, cycle paths, canal paths etc. with no issues.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
The handling at 30 psi, on a 700c x 23 or 25 mm road tyre, is borderline Darwin. Side wall cuts tend to turn into tears, and then you’ve got a useless tyre, and probably a knackered rim too.
As a get you home it's perfectly ok, I've done it.
You are not going to descend the Tourmalet on it granted but that's not what I said. Once at home you can decide what to do with the tyre, it's probably toast anyway with a sidewall cut, an alternative and it can work is flexible super glue.

Drago

Legendary Member
After two years of using tubeless had my first puncture yesterday, that sealant couldn’t cope with. Used a worm to plug the hole, no problem.
Much easier and quicker than messing around with inner tubes!
I've not had a puncture in a tubed tyre since 2011, so you'll need a slightly more compelling argument than that to get me to switch back to tubeless.

Drago

Legendary Member
Off the top of my head, about 45,000. I'd need to check to be utterly certain, but certainly within a couple of thousand miles either side of that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tubeless is worth having because it means you can buy this cleverly designed and nicely made Lezyne repair kit and CO2 pump.

https://www.bike24.com/p2344124.html

Top Bottom