Tubes or Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I've just ordered the wife a set of tubeless compactable disc wheels for her Specialized Ruby Sport.

I'm wondering whether or not to set them up as tubeless but having NEVER ventured into a tubeless setup before, i'm a bit unsure.

My reasons for going tubeless are only really for one reason. She cant and probably wont ever be able to change a puncture. She doesn't have the strength to get the tyre off the rim to get the tube out. We've tried and she just cant do it.

She goes out riding with her group of ladies from the cycling club we belong to, and they usually get about 25-30 mile rides done a few times a week.

So, i'm thinking a tubeless setup might be better for her to help fix any small punctures with sealant if/when they happen..

Is there any downside to a tubeless setup?
I know i'll need new tyres and sealant, the new wheels come with enough rim tape and tubeless valves..

Anything i should know? Good/Bad idea?

si_c

Guru
A good idea is to get the tyre seated on the rim properly before you put the sealant in, keeps the mess down. A CO2 cannister can help get the tyre seated propery. Plenty of good videos on youtube giving advice.

13 rider

Guru
Tubeless will be more of a faff to set up . Getting to tyre to explore onto the rim with a track pump is difficult but not impossible as @si_c says co2 may help . But it maybe easier to get the Lbs to do it with a compressor . Once set up tubeless sounds an ideal solution for your wife . I'm 6000 miles in on my tubeless bike and had no punctures that have failed to seal so no roadside repairs . As for sealant I use orange have tried a couple and this is the one I'm happier with

Venod

Eh up
I have just built some wheels with Mavic Open Pro Disc Rims UST, set them up tubeless with no problems, a lot does depend on the rim tyre combo.

I put some WTB Exposure 30mm tyres on them and they went up with a track pump.

Put a touch of washing up liquid on your finger and run it round the tape, put a little bit on the rim to help with the fitting the tyre without levers.

Pump them up higher than your final running pressure to seat them correctly.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Watch a few YouTube videos to help you learn how to install. Its a doddle really, just learn and use the correct tools and the right amount of sealant

I've just ordered the wife a set of tubeless compactable disc wheels for her Specialized Ruby Sport.

I'm wondering whether or not to set them up as tubeless but having NEVER ventured into a tubeless setup before, i'm a bit unsure.

My reasons for going tubeless are only really for one reason. She cant and probably wont ever be able to change a puncture. She doesn't have the strength to get the tyre off the rim to get the tube out. We've tried and she just cant do it.

She goes out riding with her group of ladies from the cycling club we belong to, and they usually get about 25-30 mile rides done a few times a week.

So, i'm thinking a tubeless setup might be better for her to help fix any small punctures with sealant if/when they happen..

Is there any downside to a tubeless setup?
I know i'll need new tyres and sealant, the new wheels come with enough rim tape and tubeless valves..

Anything i should know? Good/Bad idea?
Just got some tubeless wheels, but couldnt be faffed to go tubelessed particularly as reviews said GP5000 tyres are a better ride with tubes!
One day maybe?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I cannot comment on set up etc. but have been riding tubeless for 18 months now. I've experienced no problems, punctures or have any negative remarks. I ride at lower pressures which is more comfortable and I find the tyres roll very well.

Be sure to check the tyre pressure before every ride as tubeless do seem to lose pressure more quickly than tubes. This is something I've always done so it's not a big deal.

I ride Continental 5000 and let my LBS do the set up etc.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Be sure to check the tyre pressure before every ride as tubeless do seem to lose pressure more quickly than tubes. This is something I've always done so it's not a big deal.
My wife recently got a new bike which was tubeless set up & it has been great for her, as she has no idea how to, or wants to know how to fix a puncture :blush:, she's had a couple of visits, but survived. I normally check before she ventures out again & have noticed that they lose pressure more quickly & have to give them 10+ psi a day. However today she seemed to suffer a few punctures, 2 sealed ok, but 1 was very reluctant to seal. Not sure if they tyre is now low on sealent, or if the 'cut' is too big to seal? but at 2-3mm long & a 'nick' i'm surprised. 🤔 Had to stop 4 times in last 10 miles to top the air up in it, so gonna call at the LBS tomorrow & see what they say, but I'm far from convinced myself

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Soltydog this doesn't sound right to me. Yes I top mine up before every ride but not by 10 psi in 24 hours. I've never measured it but guess that might be a week. I'm a touch anal about tyre pressure so I always put in perhaps 3/4 strokes with a track pump to get it bang on my preferred pressure for the day - which varies according to planned ride and conditions.

From what you say I'm wondering if the tyres were correctly set up in the first place. Perhaps they are leaking air rather than punctures which have not sealed. My previous pair of tyres lasted around 5000 miles and suffered small nicks but nothing serious. When I went to the LBS for replacement, I know them well, the remark was "you really are taking the p***" 😄

Your wife seems to be suffering a lot of visits. I wonder if there is another contributory factor? Possibly run at a higher pressure? A very bad stretch of regularly used road which needs avoiding? Insufficient sealant originally - mine lasted 12 months.

I can see why you're unconvinced but I'm equally the opposite. As always it's about experience, hope you'll give it another go with more success.

YellowV2

Veteran
@Soltydog are the tyres getting worn maybe? Tyres tend to puncture more easily when nearing the end of their life. Otherwise the 2-3mm cut is quite large for sealant possibly would need a tyre worm to seal properly.
Have a look at the Cycleclinic website, he's the tubeless guru follow this link: tech-page,
OP the answer from me is unequivocally yes, once set up they are designed to be left on the wheel until worn out, so with sealant (wouldn't use Stans it doesn't seem to work well in road tyres) Caffelatex or Orange are very good and tyre worms, you're set up.
Have a look at the link above.

Venod

Eh up
Stans it doesn't seem to work well in road tyres) Caffelatex or Orange are very good

I have read this about Stans a number of times, and I wonder if its high pressures it doesn't like, I use Stans all the time with no problems but none of my tyres are ever inflated over 60 psi, I have used Caffelatex with good results and Orange does get good reviews so I might give that a go if its cheaper than Stans.

So all those having problems with Stans, what pressure is it failing at ?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
@Soltydog this doesn't sound right to me. Yes I top mine up before every ride but not by 10 psi in 24 hours.

From what you say I'm wondering if the tyres were correctly set up in the first place. Perhaps they are leaking air rather than punctures which have not sealed.

Not being set up quite right is a possibility I suppose 🤔 But she has had a few punctures, there's the tell tale coloured patches where it's sealed. Had quite a few local roads recovered with gravel lately, so that may not have helped either :blush:
@Soltydog are the tyres getting worn maybe?

It was a brand new bike around a month ago, so tyres have covered no more than 1000 miles.

She dropped wheel off at the LBS this morning & she has opted to have a tube (with sealant in) fit instead now so fingers crossed I don't get the dreaded phone cal when she's stuck in middle of nowhere :rolleyes:

I'll be sticking to tyres & tubes myself for the foreseable. I do a considerable mileage & for the number of visits I get, I can live with changing a tube every now & again. I reckon I probably average a visit every 4-5k miles which isn't too bad IMO I do check my tyres often though & when they start to look worn or cut up I change them asap :okay:

Binka

Über Member
I changed to tubeless last week for similar reasons. I‘m not confident Fixing punctures. Have done a couple at home and struggled, took ages, had to get hubby involved, couldn’t get wheel back on , etc. Had one roadside last month on my own and took an hour to fix and I somehow managed to totally furbar the gears in the process and had to take it to the bike shop for them to fix the gears....by the time I got home the patch had failed. I think the fear of punctures was putting me off longer rides.

so I’ve watched YouTube videos about tubeless. I’m still nervous that if I got a puncture I’d struggle. But the chances of getting one have to be less. So the plan is to carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump....if I get a puncture will put an inner tube in and hope to God I can get the tyre off and back on. Not sure if also worth carrying a bottle of sealant to see if just adding more sealant would perhaps plug a hole? I’ve bought a worm kit for plugging holes but the Guy at the LBS said people don’t tend to carry them and keep them for home repairs. 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom