Tubes or Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Thanks, think I will carry them...makes sense to me as it seems like an easier repair than putting a tube in.

Hopefully you won't need them if the sealant does its job, they are just for the bigger holes that won't seal, mine remains unused after several years.

YellowV2

Veteran
Hopefully you won't need them if the sealant does its job, they are just for the bigger holes that won't seal, mine remains unused after several years.
As did mine until last winter. I have to say fitting a worm was a breeze and certainly quicker than changing a tube. There is a lot of trepidation around tubeless but unnecessarily in my opinion.

I've used a plug / anchovy / worm / squidgy rubber thing once on the road (over about 47,000km) and three or four times on tyres I was about to remove, for practice. Each time it's worked well on substantial holes. (I had to make substantial holes to prevent the sealant sealing them, thereby making the plug necessary.) You absolutely do need the pronged tool to push them into the tyre, but with it, and a moderate degree of force, it's easy and quick.

It is certainly considerably easier (and cleaner) to use a plug than to remove a tyre and fit a tube. How tricky inserting a tube would be depends on how tight the tyre fit is, naturally, and whilst I do carry a tube, and have fitted one as practice - at home in the dry and warm - using it would be very much a last resort option on the road.

YellowV2

Veteran
Yes, this is also something I do carry but yet to need to try it on the road. I have tested it in the garage at home and it seems to work!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Soltydog FYI before yesterday's ride as usual I checked my tyre pressure. Take in to account the previous day I rode 77 miles and when I check pressure I always push the valve core in to release it fully (just a silly habit).

As far as one can measure accurately on a foot pump gauge the tyres had lost 2-3lbs.

It took 3 strokes of my track pump, just a cheap £20 job, to inflate to pressure.

Hope this helps.

YellowV2

Veteran
@Soltydog What tyres are you using? It is possible they are porous.
My experience is similar to PaulSB, insofar as I tend to need to put a little air in every few days. Less than latex tubes mind you, which I used to use.
FWIW I use IRC Formula Pro RBCC tyres from The Cycleclinic, they really are excellent tyres, grip is as good as it gets in both dry and wet conditions, very P resistant and they wear very well also. There is a version with even better P protection called Formula Pro X guard.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
They are the std Giant tyres that came on my wife's Liv. Not sure I can pursuade her to spend more at the moment, I'll see how she gets on for now. I've not run tubeless at all so no idea what to suggest for her. The Pro X guard sound ideal for her though, cheers 👍 (just checked & there's no stock of either IRC tyres at present :sad:)

colly

Re member eR
My experience is similar to PaulSB, insofar as I tend to need to put a little air in every few days. Less than latex tubes mind you, which I used to use.
FWIW I use IRC Formula Pro RBCC tyres from The Cycleclinic, they really are excellent tyres, grip is as good as it gets in both dry and wet conditions, very P resistant and they wear very well also. There is a version with even better P protection called Formula Pro X guard.
I have been using them since I started with tubeless. Plenty of grip, no punctures. Maybe 3 or 4 years use, 4000 miles perhaps. the rear started to show signs of wear so I've just put on a new set. I'll keep the less worn front as a spare.

Mark pallister

My wife recently got a new bike which was tubeless set up & it has been great for her, as she has no idea how to, or wants to know how to fix a puncture :blush:, she's had a couple of visits, but survived. I normally check before she ventures out again & have noticed that they lose pressure more quickly & have to give them 10+ psi a day. However today she seemed to suffer a few punctures, 2 sealed ok, but 1 was very reluctant to seal. Not sure if they tyre is now low on sealent, or if the 'cut' is too big to seal? but at 2-3mm long & a 'nick' i'm surprised. 🤔 Had to stop 4 times in last 10 miles to top the air up in it, so gonna call at the LBS tomorrow & see what they say, but I'm far from convinced myself
If it’s a road bike ,I’ve found that no sealant will seal above 60 psi and I’ve tried quite a few
if it sealed the first two puncturers then it is obviously working otherwise that would have been two new tubes or patches
it won’t seal everything bepends a lot on so many variables
ive given up on my road bikes but it’s brilliant on my gravel bike due to the lower pressure

Top Bottom