Tubes or Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YellowV2

Veteran
If it’s a road bike ,I’ve found that no sealant will seal above 60 psi and I’ve tried quite a few
if it sealed the first two puncturers then it is obviously working otherwise that would have been two new tubes or patches
it won’t seal everything bepends a lot on so many variables

This is nonsense.
There are a number of sealants that are excellent. I run pressures of between 70 and 90 psi in 25mm tyres and use Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex, which is very good. There are others Orange and Maxalami are also good, although I don't believe Stans is very good.
No it won't seal everything you need worms/plugs for larger holes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've used a plug / anchovy / worm / squidgy rubber thing once on the road (over about 47,000km) and three or four times on tyres I was about to remove, for practice. Each time it's worked well on substantial holes. (I had to make substantial holes to prevent the sealant sealing them, thereby making the plug necessary.) You absolutely do need the pronged tool to push them into the tyre, but with it, and a moderate degree of force, it's easy and quick.

It is certainly considerably easier (and cleaner) to use a plug than to remove a tyre and fit a tube. How tricky inserting a tube would be depends on how tight the tyre fit is, naturally, and whilst I do carry a tube, and have fitted one as practice - at home in the dry and warm - using it would be very much a last resort option on the road.

The instructions for my worm kit tell you to clag some rubber solution on the worm before pushing it into the hole.

Not heard of that before and clearly worms do work as is, but it may serve as a tip worth considering for a large hole.

Mark pallister

This is nonsense.
There are a number of sealants that are excellent. I run pressures of between 70 and 90 psi in 25mm tyres and use Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex, which is very good. There are others Orange and Maxalami are also good, although I don't believe Stans is very good.
No it won't seal everything you need worms/plugs for larger holes.
thats your opinion,I’ve used and am still using orange and it won’t seal above 60 psi
just squilts out till the pressure drops then seals ,agree stans is one of the worst in road bike tyres but fine in mtb tyres

Top Bottom