Tubs deflating :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
got some lovely new aero tubs for my birthday and hubby fitted them (taped) with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular Tyres.

However after a couple of days of inflating them they deflate again. Does anyone know why this would happen?

We found it really hard to remove the red valve as it was very stiff but we managed eventually.

A bit reluctant to take it to a shop for impartial advice as the tyres were bought online so dont know what to do :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, I know why and it is very simple and also normal! They are fitted with latex inner tubes (standard inners are made from Butyl). Hang your wheels up after racing so the tyres hold their shape as they deflate and pump them up before every use.

It is the price you pay for the better ride quality of latex inners.

You could put a little bit of PTFE tape on the thread of the valve extender to eliminate that as an issue if you wanted, but they will still go down.

Christopher

Über Member
I have a pair of them and they do exactly the same as the OP's... nothing to worry about as long as they are stored with the weight off the tyres, so either hung up or horizontal.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Thanks Robert and Christopher. So, I have turned my carbon road bike into my "race" bike for TTs and Triathlons so are you saying that I have to inflate before race and then hang the bike up (as I do) and not to worry just re inflate prior to use?
How many hours should it take to deflate? I will try that today. Cheers :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What I am saying is that you will need to inflate the tyres before every use, so pump them up, just before you leave, or if you take your bike in the car to the race, take the pump with you and pump them up right before the race. At TT's you see loads of people pumping tyres up in the carpark.

If you use the bike daily, you needn't bother hanging anything because you will be pumping them up daily but for example if you only ride it once a week or less, then you will want to either hang the bike up, or take the wheels off and hang them up (or pump them up daily despite not riding it).

The pressure won't drop enough in a few hours to worry about but within 24 hours they will want topping up to get them up to rideable pressures.

Christopher

Über Member
IME latex tubes lose about 20-30 psi per day. Sorry I did not read your post properly I have the 'cross version of those tyres - I only put them on before the race and take the wheels off immediately afterwards. What you describe is exactly how I would treat the race bike/tubs. Good luck!

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Excellent guys thank you feel much better now. Yes I do remember riders pumping up the tyres before the TTs and have thought why dont they do it at home :wacko: Lol

Cant wait to try them, a bit windy today but as soon as it's calmer I ll take it for a spin. I put 82x50mm Planet X tabs. Didnt sell my bike in the end - I will treat myself when I deserve it - ie when I can ride over 20mph consistently ha!

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on the tyre and wheel spec, as to the limits. Then in terms of performance, between those limits, it depends on the roads etc. In Cheshire, I run at 140 psi rear and 130 psi front, sometimes a little lower if it is wet. This is for comfort AND speed, a rock solid tyre will bounce around more on a rough surface.

Howard

^ all of this, and your weight. Rob - you must have some sweet, sweet tarmac to run those pressures?

I'm a 60kg wheenie. I've been known to run 24mm road rubber at 50psi for recovery rides :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
^ all of this, and your weight. Rob - you must have some sweet, sweet tarmac to run those pressures?

I'm a 60kg wheenie. I've been known to run 24mm road rubber at 50psi for recovery rides :smile:

Are you kidding? The reputation of Cheshire has evaded you I see! :tongue:

Top Bottom