Tubs deflating :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is a known fact, google latex inner tube and you will see lots of discussions re this. Sounds like the bike shop either don't know what they are doing, or they are fishing for ££.

ayceejay

Guru
This is probably old news but to make mounting tubs easier it is a good idea to buy them in advance and mount them dry on spare rims, this way they will be pre stretched.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

ok so spoke to them and apparently the tyres shouldn't go down flat in 3 -4 days. He reckons 10psi if that a day.
So they pressure inflated and the tyres were not loosing air. So took apart and found that one tyre had the valve screwed in at an angle.
The other tyre they put the PTF tape around the valve to seal better
Charged for two new valves (as they come together) plus tape plus labour, about £50
Was quite upset that I was questioning the pricing and work involved, as they didnt call to advice they were going to do any of this.
Fair enough if the valve was screwed in wrong it needed to be address, but the other tyre as well?? Hmmm anyway hope is all sorted, they are living it overnight to see if it looses any air if not I can collect tomorrow.

VamP

Banned
I don't doubt it ^_^ ! Think I have exhausted my limited knowledge of tubs on this thread. Am impressed the OP's hubby glued them on, I had the shop do mine having seen a few rolled tubs at CX races...

The only tub I ever rolled was a shop glued one. I don't let anyone do my gluing for me now.

GrasB

Veteran
Yes, I know why and it is very simple and also normal! They are fitted with latex inner tubes (standard inners are made from Butyl). Hang your wheels up after racing so the tyres hold their shape as they deflate and pump them up before every use.

It is the price you pay for the better ride quality of latex inners.

You could put a little bit of PTFE tape on the thread of the valve extender to eliminate that as an issue if you wanted, but they will still go down.
^^ This. My race day tubs deflate in the space of 3-4 days. My training tubs (which are Butyl tubed) take 2-3 weeks before significant pressure is lost.

At 81kg on 19mm tubs I tend to run 105psi front & 115psi rear. Beyond that on I tend to measure a HIGHER rolling resistance on anything but the best newly formed A road.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.

Absolutely bootiful ! !

Top Bottom