Tubular or Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YellowV2

Veteran
As the title really, I'm struggling to decide.
I'm going to buy a new set of rim brake lightweight wheels, for use in good weather only and especially for cycling hols in the mountains but unsure whether to try tubulars or stick with tubeless. I've never used tubular before but am considering them for these wheels.
So if anyone has experience using both I'd be interested in your thoughts, I currently use tubeless on two bikes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Two points;
  • Are you unhappy with your current tubed set-up?
  • How will you overcome any tubeless problems that occur while you are on your potentially remote mountainous holiday?
I won't say what my opinion is...….

Edit: Sorry, I see you say you already have tubeless, my bad. What is making you wonder about the same set-up on the new wheels?

As the title really, I'm struggling to decide.
I'm going to buy a new set of rim brake lightweight wheels, for use in good weather only and especially for cycling hols in the mountains but unsure whether to try tubulars or stick with tubeless. I've never used tubular before but am considering them for these wheels.
So if anyone has experience using both I'd be interested in your thoughts, I currently use tubeless on two bikes.
The one is ridiculously anachronistic, the other one ridiculously difficult to live with.
Stick with tubed tyres.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Are you going to be followed in the mountains by a mechanic with five spare bikes on the top of an estate car?

If not, stick with clinchers, tubed or tubeless.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Two points;
  • Are you unhappy with your current tubed set-up?
  • How will you overcome any tubeless problems that occur while you are on your potentially remote mountainous holiday?
I won't say what my opinion is...….

Edit: Sorry, I see you say you already have tubeless, my bad. What is making you wonder about the same set-up on the new wheels?
Carbon tubs are considerably lighter and possibly ride quality superior, although ride quality on tubeless good.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For me I am more than happy with tubeless and don't miss 20 years ago when I was on tubs. Even if I were a Cat 1/2 racer I would stick to tubeless if I were given a choice. For me tubs are for the track only.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
I'm sorry Yellow Saddle the question I asked was "Tubular or Tubeless "
"So if anyone has experience using both I'd be interested in your thoughts, I currently use tubeless on two bikes."

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The one is ridiculously anachronistic, the other one ridiculously difficult to live with.
Stick with tubed tyres.
Thank you for your opinion however not what I asked!
Of the limited replies, nobody has recommended you use tubs. I think you have your answer, even if it isn't the one you wanted! :laugh:

After my early mistake of thinking you were asking if you should go from tubed clincher tyres to tubeless clinchers I still didn't realise you were actually asking if you should swap from clinchers (tubeless) to tubulars (i.e stitched up casing glued to the rim).

My mistake the second time probably arose because I didn't think anyone would be mad enough to use that set-up for leisure/holiday/touring type riding. Why would you? Just a single puncture and that is your day essentially over, the fix is not really a roadside task (someone will doubtless be along shortly to describe how they removed the glued tub, unpicked the carcass, fixed the punctured tube and then re-glued the repaired tub to the rim in just 15 minutes before continuing their ride..... :crazy:).

I suggest you forget tubs, if for no other reason than if it doesn't work out for you then the option of fitting clinchers is not open to you without re-rimming the wheel. If tubeless is working for you then stick with that, but I would choose and recommend traditional tubed clinchers as these are the most reliably fixed in the field in real world conditions. This is the kind of dependability that's required when touring or riding in possibly remote areas or long distances when completing the ride is more important than a few theoretical saved seconds or a subjective difference in 'feel'.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that doesn't make everyone else wrong.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have tried both, tubular, nice rolling resistance, pain in the neck if you get a bad cut, cant really repair other than change the tyre

Tubeless, more reliable, puncture resistant, roll just as nicely as tubular and if the worse scenario happens a big cut, then fit an inner tube.

I'm sorry Yellow Saddle the question I asked was "Tubular or Tubeless "
"So if anyone has experience using both I'd be interested in your thoughts, I currently use tubeless on two bikes."
That's exactly what my answer addresses.
Let me rephrase.
Tubular is old-fashioned and past its time.
Tubeless makes it very difficult to deal with problems on the road and even in the workshop, it is difficult to work with. Sealant has its issues, including drying out, blocking the valve and not sealing until the pressure has dropped significantly.
Tubes is the way to go because it is cheap, universal and easy to repair.

Top Bottom