Tubular or Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
You just don't get it do you!
I already use tubeless very happily and with no problems at all. My question was either to try Tubs or stick to tubeless, I have no intention of using tubes so why suggest it?
I asked for thoughts from those who have experience of both not just any general opinions on other types of tyre system!

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Of the limited replies, nobody has recommended you use tubs. I think you have your answer, even if it isn't the one you wanted! :laugh:

After my early mistake of thinking you were asking if you should go from tubed clincher tyres to tubeless clinchers I still didn't realise you were actually asking if you should swap from clinchers (tubeless) to tubulars (i.e stitched up casing glued to the rim).

My mistake the second time probably arose because I didn't think anyone would be mad enough to use that set-up for leisure/holiday/touring type riding. Why would you? Just a single puncture and that is your day essentially over, the fix is not really a roadside task (someone will doubtless be along shortly to describe how they removed the glued tub, unpicked the carcass, fixed the punctured tube and then re-glued the repaired tub to the rim in just 15 minutes before continuing their ride..... :crazy:).

I suggest you forget tubs, if for no other reason than if it doesn't work out for you then the option of fitting clinchers is not open to you without re-rimming the wheel. If tubeless is working for you then stick with that, but I would choose and recommend traditional tubed clinchers as these are the most reliably fixed in the field in real world conditions. This is the kind of dependability that's required when touring or riding in possibly remote areas or long distances when completing the ride is more important than a few theoretical saved seconds or a subjective difference in 'feel'.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that doesn't make everyone else wrong.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am not saying anyone is wrong, I just don't want answers to a question I didn't ask ie; tyres with inner tubes.
As you have realised I already happily use tubeless and enjoy the benefits. I don't believe it is not possible to fix tubs at the roadside as people who ride them do. You just carry a spare and replace the tyre, quite a few duo this without problems including the chap who builds my wheels. Tubular also reportedly seem to be less prone to punctures for some reason. I understand it's a subject where views are very polarised but I thought I would ask for thoughts between the two from those who are fortunate enough to have ridden both.
Just a final word on tubes to qualify my thoughts, they are not the best for rim brakes when descending alpine passes.
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't use tubs unless racing and you've got a service vehicle/car nearby. That said I only ever punctured a tub once TT'ing over the years, but that's not a good example !

Modern tubeless if that's what you have, with a couple of spare tubes just in case. You want 'get me home' options when in mountains.

At least with tubeless (or indeed tubed) tyres, you can bodge a repair if you get a bad cut/tear in a tyre with a tyre boot (or sililar bodge) and a tube.

I still use tubes, even on the MTB (where tubeless is very popular). I don't fancy the mess as I can swap tyres round in the winter a few times.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tubular - you are going to need glue/tape for the spare - best option is have a pre taped one (I sometimes carried a used spare). Other option, if it's very hot and you are doing lots of prolonged braking, tub glue can start to melt (my mate had to stop to let the rims cool - dragging brakes too much).

Stick with tubeless.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Thanks Fossyant, I think I am leaning towards sticking with the tubeless.
I don't have any issues with it and I use it the way I believe it should be used. By that I mean leave the tyre on until it's worn out by repairing with tyre worms, which can be used in every situation, where some would advocate a tube, even sidewall cuts can be repaired well enough to get you home at low pressure. I don't have any problem with mess either, far easier than tubes IMO. A lot of the issues I hear about are user error, that said some tyre/rim combinations are not good.
I use ones that are!

Top Bottom