Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I meant having to pedal like it was a Fixie
No, I could just about change gears. Going from big to small, or small to big at the front was hit and miss and usually resulted in a dropped chain. I'd then have to keep changing the back gears higher until it suddenly re-connected and I could ride again. Timing the sharp downs into sharp ups was fun! It may not have been too bad had the bike been stuck in one gear (so long as a good midrange) and no dropped chain. But alas no, it wasn't that simple.

Been looking on youtube and changing the freewheel hub doesn't look too hard for a mechanic, so maybe I don't need a whole wheel.

LBHIFI

Veteran
I've made a deal with HID. Today, the way to make me faster is to get lighter - a new bike would be nice, but my current physique and fitness will be better for me than a bike (although I clearly need a new back wheel!). The deal with HID though is, if I get to 70 kg (so 15kg weight loss) then I can have a super duper bike in the multiple '000s bracket. I'm happy with that deal as it gives me two incentives to lose weight - get fitter/faster and get the bike ^_^

Let's see how much this fat bloke really wants a new bike :whistle:
Sorry to hear you had to abandon due to mech failure :angry:. About weight loss, I've noticed from my various commutes that what comes after the hour is what counts. Doesn't need to be high intensity, it's just the time spend that will do the trick. I do eat sensible, but still drink beer & wine and eat pizzas & burgers weekends.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Sorry to hear you had to abandon due to mech failure :angry:. About weight loss, I've noticed from my various commutes that what comes after the hour is what counts. Doesn't need to be high intensity, it's just the time spend that will do the trick. I do eat sensible, but still drink beer & wine and eat pizzas & burgers weekends.
My weakness is sweet things and portion size. If I can sort those two out, and add a bit extra to each session, I should lose weight. Whether that can be 15 kg I've no idea though, but there is an added incentive so let's see :tongue:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Well done all! Sounds like you had good weather which is great news.

Bad luck whorty, real shame to go out like that mate.

Looking forward to some more write ups. I was hoping for more detail of suffering!

Too soon to talk about next year? :smile:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Lars big congratutalions for your TT mate. That is really incredible speed.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

My weakness is sweet things and portion size. If I can sort those two out, and add a bit extra to each session, I should lose weight. Whether that can be 15 kg I've no idea though, but there is an added incentive so let's see :tongue:

You can do it whorty! Discipline my friend. It gets easier the more you practice it. You can buy loads of books on weight loss. Or you can eat less (ecspecially cr@p). And train more!

bobinski

Legendary Member
Carl, that’s a bummer :sad: I had 2 working gears for the last 40km or so of the ToC so you have my sympathy mate.
70 kilos may be too much. Perhaps be more realistic and aim for 72 or even 75 kilos? Get the spendy bike and then aim for the additional reduction? I only say this because I am at 72-73 kilos and that extra bit is bloody hard to lose and although I know can probably do it I would either have to cycle long and hard every day or give up the things I enjoy in life. You may be stronger than me .

Del C

Veteran
Great job for all those finishing.

Bad luck @Whorty . Mechanicals are crap but sounds like you made the right call.

I checked up earlier today and realised I've ridden the Devil's Elbow twice before when I've done the Dragon Ride. Used to really enjoy the Dragon Ride.

How does the DD compare to the Dragon Ride (don't know if anyone has ridden both) and how does the Devils's Staircase compare to the Devil's Elbow?

Top Bottom