Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Any news on the others doing the DD?

The dragon has eaten them :biggrin:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Any news on the others doing the DD?
I made 1/2 a DD. About 20 miles in I could hear a rattle noise, like someone shaking a bag of nails. Didn't take much notice as just thought it was derailer clinking due to bouncy roads. Was struggling to get the speed I been getting earlier on and put this down to maybe the roads being more up than down. After the 30 mile food stop there is a nasty climb up to military road. Ground my way up, watching Rob and Martin slowly pull away. Got to top, tried to freewheel for a sec, and chain fell off. Over the next few minutes chain kept falling off, then worked out it was happening every time i stopped pedalling. We had a quick look and back pedalling was a no-no. We couldn't spin the wheel freely, it was locking up straight away. So I was basically having to pedal 100% of the time, and effectively with extra resistance! The downhills were fun, as I was having to apply the brakes all the way down to allow me to keep the pedals turning and not spinning out.

Managed to get the support van to me by mile 40 but they had no spares to help. So had a choice to carry on as was, or bail. I did try for about 5 more miles but it was just too dangerous for me; the wheel was getting worse, and gear changing was difficult. Support car came up to me again and we decided that I just needed to bail and stay safe.

Annoying thing is, I left the bike shop at about 2 am to head back home, but it looks like I only missed seeing @BILL S , @kipster and @Add finish by minutes. Superb work chaps :notworthy:

Last edited:

Breedon

Legendary Member
I made 1/2 a DD. About 20 miles in I could a rattle noise, like someone shaking a bag of nails. Didn't take much notice as just thought it was derailer clinking due to bouncy roads. Was struggling to get the speed I been getting earlier on and put this down to maybe the roads being more up than down. After the 30 mile food stop there is a nasty climb up to military road. Ground my way up, watching Rob and Martin slowly pull away. Got to top, tried to freewheel for a sec, and chain fell off. Over the next few minutes chain kept falling off, then worked out it was happening every time i stopped pedalling. We had a quick look and back pedalling was a no-no. We couldn't spin the wheel freely, it was locking up straight away. So I was basically having to pedal 100% of the time, and effectively with extra resistance! The downhills were fun, as I was having to apply the brakes all the way down to allow me to keep the pedals turning and not spinning out.

Managed to get the support van to me by mile 40 but they had no spares to help. So had a choice to carry on as was, or bail. I did try for about 5 more miles but it was just too dangerous for me; the wheel was getting worse, and gear changing was difficult. Support car came up to me again and we decided that I just needed to bail and stay safe.

Annoying thing is, I left the bike shop at about 2 am to head back home, but it looks like I only missed seeing @BILL S , @kipster and @Add finish by minutes. Superb work chaps :notworthy:
Great shame Carl sounds like it's new bike time ^_^, but there's next year where you will see me:okay:

Whorty

Great shame Carl sounds like it's new bike time ^_^, but there's next year where you will see me:okay:
I've made a deal with HID. Today, the way to make me faster is to get lighter - a new bike would be nice, but my current physique and fitness will be better for me than a bike (although I clearly need a new back wheel!). The deal with HID though is, if I get to 70 kg (so 15kg weight loss) then I can have a super duper bike in the multiple '000s bracket. I'm happy with that deal as it gives me two incentives to lose weight - get fitter/faster and get the bike ^_^

Let's see how much this fat bloke really wants a new bike :whistle:

Breedon

Legendary Member
I've made a deal with HID. Today, the way to make me faster is to get lighter - a new bike would be nice, but my current physique and fitness will be better for me than a bike (although I clearly need a new back wheel!). The deal with HID though is, if I get to 70 kg (so 15kg weight loss) then I can have a super duper bike in the multiple '000s bracket. I'm happy with that deal as it gives me two incentives to lose weight - get fitter/faster and get the bike ^_^

Let's see how much this fat bloke really wants a new bike :whistle:
:hyper:
Looks like Zwift will get a good hammering this winter

rob01792

Über Member
Sorry bout ur mechanical whorty real shame as i was hoping to fishing with u
This year was poor signage missed last food stop so had to find a pub for water took wrong rd but luckily it rejoined so no back tracking but over all very enjoyable great to meet some more cyclechater

Whorty

Sorry bout ur mechanical whorty real shame as i was hoping to fishing with u
This year was poor signage missed last food stop so had to find a pub for water took wrong rd but luckily it rejoined so no back tracking but over all very enjoyable great to meet some more cyclechater
The support car that took me to that foodstop couldn't find it either. When we got there they said only 1 rider so far had found them! Not surprised you and Martyn missed the signs. It was a hot day too, so getting that water was vital

I made 1/2 a DD. About 20 miles in I could hear a rattle noise, like someone shaking a bag of nails. Didn't take much notice as just thought it was derailer clinking due to bouncy roads. Was struggling to get the speed I been getting earlier on and put this down to maybe the roads being more up than down. After the 30 mile food stop there is a nasty climb up to military road. Ground my way up, watching Rob and Martin slowly pull away. Got to top, tried to freewheel for a sec, and chain fell off. Over the next few minutes chain kept falling off, then worked out it was happening every time i stopped pedalling. We had a quick look and back pedalling was a no-no. We couldn't spin the wheel freely, it was locking up straight away. So I was basically having to pedal 100% of the time, and effectively with extra resistance! The downhills were fun, as I was having to apply the brakes all the way down to allow me to keep the pedals turning and not spinning out.

So you did ride a single speed.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
sorry to hear the misfortune Carl , i had similar once and it turned out to be a £1.50 pawl spring had bust stopping one of the pawls from tucking out of the way when freewheeling - may save you a bit on a back wheel - to go towards the new bike :okay: was it as bad as you remembered ? and was there relief that you wasnt on single speed ?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I made 1/2 a DD.

Snip

I just needed to bail and stay safe.

Sorry to hear of you woes @Whorty. You were almost forced to go the single speed route after all :whistle:

You did the right thing in bailing though. All the best for you for next year :bicycle: :thumbsup:

Whorty

sorry to hear the misfortune Carl , i had similar once and it turned out to be a £1.50 pawl spring had bust stopping one of the pawls from tucking out of the way when freewheeling - may save you a bit on a back wheel - to go towards the new bike :okay: was it as bad as you remembered ? and was there relief that you wasnt on single speed ?
It was indeed as bad as I remembered, and given current fitness and weight the SS would have been a 'challenge'!

Top Bottom