Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I might be up for this too - would prefer a fast-ish pace than a "bimble" though! (As it's closed roads - and therefore quite pricey - and I can go for a gentle bimble any time!)

I will just need to ensure I can make the date OK - when do we need to enter by do you know @TurboTommy ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Cambridge UCI qualifications times men
Age group
35-39 3hr22 or less Average speed 23.5mph
40-44 3hr25 or less…....….................23.2
45-49 3hr28 ""…....…..........................22.9
50-54 3hr31 ""...................................22.6
55-59 3hr37 ""......................…...........21.9
Top 25% each age group, qualify for world's Grand Fondo

Previous years Strava ride

www.strava.com/routes/2511984?HL=en-GB

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Cambridge UCI qualifications times men
Age group
35-39 3hr22 or less Average speed 23.5mph
40-44 3hr25 or less…....….................23.2
45-49 3hr28 ""…....…..........................22.9
50-54 3hr31 ""...................................22.6
55-59 3hr37 ""......................…...........21.9

Previous years Strava ride

www.strava.com/routes/2511984?HL=en-GB
Never having done a closed road ride like this I don't know how achievable those times would be.

Only recent comparison I can find is an 82 mile ride I did with 1 friend in May at average 19mph. Obviously wasn't closed roads though, and was over a thousand feet more climbing, and we wouldn't have been absolutely going for it.

I do know the difference between averaging 19mph and 23mph is bigger than it sounds, but the closed roads, different terrain, and riding in a bigger group determined to go as fast as possible could also make a big difference - how much is hard to say!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I might be up for this too - would prefer a fast-ish pace than a "bimble" though! (As it's closed roads - and therefore quite pricey - and I can go for a gentle bimble any time!)

I will just need to ensure I can make the date OK - when do we need to enter by do you know @TurboTommy ?

There's no deadline I don't think but the event sells out. I'm actually suprised there's still places as it's very popular. I'd say we enter asap, whenever that is. Maybe this weekend. Could always just pay up and swallow the £80 if you can't make it?

With regards speed I did the ridelondon averaging 20mph with 4,300 of climbing. This events only 2000ft. Also ride London I was out in the wind a decent chunk of the time jumping form one group to the next. I completely died 10 miles from the line, and crawled in really so I could of been faster.

I reckon if there's a group of us working together taking turns when feeling strong. It could be really good. But yeah I think for me it's an event where we say let's go and seeenwhat we can do as a group.

Ps Andy. I think Jacobs time is going to be safe ^_^

kipster

Guru
Dont forget the head / cross winds across the open landscape, every bit as hard as the hills and very few descents to free wheel on. @bridgy can train on the Somerset flats, probably very similar cycling. Dont worry @bobinski I dont have whooshy wheels either.

Looking at the age related times I dont think i'll be qualifying (assuming I enter). 22.9mph, do they think it's zwift or something and I'm on a bkool ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Dont forget the head / cross winds across the open landscape, every bit as hard as the hills and very few descents to free wheel on. @bridgy can train on the Somerset flats, probably very similar cycling. Dont worry @bobinski I dont have whooshy wheels either.

Looking at the age related times I dont think i'll be qualifying (assuming I enter). 22.9mph, do they think it's zwift or something and I'm on a bkool ;)

Don't listen too much to Bob Kipster. Hes got a couple of sets of wheels already. He's just building up to asking his missus if he can get a new set for Christmas! :tongue:

I think this course will suit us more than a hillier one though to be honest. For one it's much easier to work as a group on flat courses. This helps protect from the winds if there is any, and there might not be much wind on the day. Also keeping in a tight group, drafting, uses much less energy as we all know. Going up hills burns through energy and isolates people quickly. You may recover a bit going back down the hill but putting out consistent, steady power on flat courses is much more efficient generally. And the nature of sitting in a group means you get a chance to rest as the guys at the front put in much more effort.

That's not to say either type of course is easy. But it should be great fun.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
tommy ,If you have a link or something and your still on your death bed could you try and muster the energy to post it ? Cheers

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

You guys still thinking about doing the DD or something similar too? I liked Kip's idea about planning our own ride.

Berty I did already mate. Maybe last page?

CXRAndy

Guru
It's only 80miles fairly flat, the worse can happen is the pack blows apart at some point. Then we bumble along.

Re DD, I don't I'll do it again, well not for a couple of seasons, it was great experience, what made it was the decent weather. Imagine that route on the rain-which it does alot in Wales

An self organised event sounds good like IOW, get Bill, AAAC plus others along

Top Bottom