Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Dont forget the head / cross winds across the open landscape, every bit as hard as the hills and very few descents to free wheel on. @bridgy can train on the Somerset flats, probably very similar cycling. Dont worry @bobinski I dont have whooshy wheels either.

Looking at the age related times I dont think i'll be qualifying (assuming I enter). 22.9mph, do they think it's zwift or something and I'm on a bkool ;)

^_^

Yeah, but you are younger and faster than me!

Don't listen too much to Bob Kipster. Hes got a couple of sets of wheels already. He's just building up to asking his missus if he can get a new set for Christmas! :tongue:

I think this course will suit us more than a hillier one though to be honest. For one it's much easier to work as a group on flat courses. This helps protect from the winds if there is any, and there might not be much wind on the day. Also keeping in a tight group, drafting, uses much less energy as we all know. Going up hills burns through energy and isolates people quickly. You may recover a bit going back down the hill but putting out consistent, steady power on flat courses is much more efficient generally. And the nature of sitting in a group means you get a chance to rest as the guys at the front put in much more effort.

That's not to say either type of course is easy. But it should be great fun.

I was sure Kipster had said something about posh wheels for his lovely posh bike.

So we've got until next June to get these bloody jerseys sorted!

:biggrin:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It's only 80miles fairly flat, the worse can happen is the pack blows apart at some point. Then we bumble along.

Re DD, I don't I'll do it again, well not for a couple of seasons, it was great experience, what made it was the decent weather. Imagine that route on the rain-which it does alot in Wales

An self organised event sounds good like IOW, get Bill, AAAC plus others along

I thought it was 100 for some reason...

Agree with everything you've said Andy. I can't do DD because of family commitment, but it would be nice to organise another more socially paced ride. If the guys you mentioned plus people from far flung places like Alaska and Scotland join us that would be brilliant.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
up for another social ride whenever you want ( never thought i would say that !) plus the sun always shines on group rides !
am i right in thinking that we are waiting on numbers before we book cambridge ?
has anyone thought about a social around the flatter side of yorkshire ? just thinking central- ish for everybody - no need to go the silly hilly side - unless you want to
:okay:

Breedon

Legendary Member
I thought it was 100 for some reason...

Agree with everything you've said Andy. I can't do DD because of family commitment, but it would be nice to organise another more socially paced ride. If the guys you mentioned plus people from far flung places like Alaska and Scotland join us that would be brilliant.
Now Alaska I would sell a kidney for, bunch of brits in a sleepy town :laugh: I'm sure @Randyberlin would put us all up^_^

Isn't that 'put up with us' ^_^
I also have been checking for the DD in 2018. My plan is to come over and tour in late May so if the other slow riders are up for the Cambridge ride it would fit. Of course I'm out $1.31 with the devaluation of my Pound coin.
As for Alaska rides, Sitka only has 14 miles of road. But there is this ride in Haines Alaska. One of the nurses in the Haines clinic has a sister who owns a bike shop in Haxby so she can act as an interpreter.

https://kcibr.org/

Breedon

Legendary Member
148 miles i like the sound that.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I also have been checking for the DD in 2018. My plan is to come over and tour in late May so if the other slow riders are up for the Cambridge ride it would fit. Of course I'm out $1.31 with the devaluation of my Pound coin.
As for Alaska rides, Sitka only has 14 miles of road. But there is this ride in Haines Alaska. One of the nurses in the Haines clinic has a sister who owns a bike shop in Haxby so she can act as an interpreter.

Randy if none of the guys who want to ride at a more sedate pace want to do the Cambridge ride, we should try and arrange another more social ride around the time of your visit. If we're going to get jerseys printed we may as well get some use out of them!

bobinski

Legendary Member
If this is going to be a bkool/cyclechat kit, shouldn't it mention Bob's knee?

/me ducks

Frigging hell Jeff, I thought you had morphed into Whorty there for a moment;) - hello Whorty :okay:
Funny thing is on the closed FB zsun racing page where I linger when not here there is no end of mention of dodgy knees, torn menisci, and other injuries and ailments. I feel quite at home^_^ in fact I am struggling to keep up. The thing is they are all faster than me:rolleyes:

I suppose we could have our nicknames on the shirts but they should reflect individual ailments. So, TT and his man cold, Breedon and his phobia of men’s loo’s In saucy central London, Bill and his balance , AAAC and his, err, prostate is it? Who else and what else? In fact Jeff, what’s yours? Should we ask Mrs Jeff? ^_^

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
It's only 80miles fairly flat, the worse can happen is the pack blows apart at some point. Then we bumble along.

Re DD, I don't I'll do it again, well not for a couple of seasons, it was great experience, what made it was the decent weather. Imagine that route on the rain-which it does alot in Wales

An self organised event sounds good like IOW, get Bill, AAAC plus others along
Enjoyed IoW so I'll be in something similar next year.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Frigging hell Jeff, I thought you had morphed into Whorty there for a moment;) - hello Whorty :okay:
Funny thing is on the closed FB zsun racing page where I linger when not here there is no end of mention of dodgy knees, torn menisci, and other injuries and ailments. I feel quite at home^_^ in fact I am struggling to keep up. The thing is they are all faster than me:rolleyes:

I suppose we could have our nicknames on the shirts but they should reflect individual ailments. So, TT and his man cold, Breedon and his phobia of men’s loo’s In saucy central London, Bill and his balance , AAAC and his, err, prostate is it? Who else and what else? In fact Jeff, what’s yours? Should we ask Mrs Jeff? ^_^
I think you mean berty with the loo's ^_^

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

I'll take leg 7. It's my speciality :whistle:

JLaw

Veteran

Not sure what ailment I'd use. I largely ignore the asthma, pinched nerve in my neck and plantar fasciitis when it comes to cycling -- in the end when I'm dropped off the back it's because I'm just not fit/strong enough to stay with whatever group I'm in. I'm just fat & slow. There you go....

Top Bottom