Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
With the power of drafting that is going to be a pootle. Are you going Andy, I’ll tuck in behind you :biggrin:.

Team cuddles - sounds like your gonna have a few in your shadow boss

Dont rely on me. Last year all was fine till the hills and I was out of the back door. Drafting is critical. I expect carnage for anyone who gets dropped from a pack of riders with the extra 20 miles and 1000ft of climbing
The most mentally draining ride Ive ever done.

Lining up behind the big guy.

Edit: added picture with Norry who somehow got cut off from the first one.

Attachments

• B4395910-4411-495E-95A8-1C41B07474A3.png
    B4395910-4411-495E-95A8-1C41B07474A3.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 5879D22F-F1AC-4DD5-ADE3-AB4D2337AFD6.png
    5879D22F-F1AC-4DD5-ADE3-AB4D2337AFD6.png
    420 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Dont rely on me. Last year all was fine till the hills and I was out of the back door. Drafting is critical. I expect carnage for anyone who gets dropped from a pack of riders with the extra 20 miles and 1000ft of climbing
The most mentally draining ride Ive ever done.

What hills? There was a lump or two. The way you power up the volcano you will be fine:okay:

Agreed about impact of being dropped. Feck it was hard.​

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
If it’s like last year which I assume it will be, there’ll be lots of small packs of riders. So the trick is to slot into a pack that suits your pace rather than riding on your own for too long.
If you’re going balls out it just means that if you’re in a pack you’ll go faster than if you were going balls out solo. Not that you’ll put in any less effort than if you were riding solo.

For Carl it’s going to be toughest I think. Because unless he finds a group who are prepared to wait for him he’s going to drop backwards through groups whenever the gradient or wind changes noticeably. So he’s more likely to spend longer on his lonesome and not shift gear when the legs start to wobble!

If it’s like last year which I assume it will be, there’ll be lots of small packs of riders. So the trick is to slot into a pack that suits your pace rather than riding on your own for too long.
If you’re going balls out it just means that if you’re in a pack you’ll go faster than if you were going balls out solo. Not that you’ll put in any less effort than if you were riding solo.

For Carl it’s going to be toughest I think. Because unless he finds a group who are prepared to wait for him he’s going to drop backwards through groups whenever the gradient or wind changes noticeably. So he’s more likely to spend longer on his lonesome and not shift gear when the legs start to wobble!
@Whorty @theboxers ,
One of the most amazing things is the encouragement from people lining the route. The mellow velo started later so we were close to the last of 8000 riders and they were still clapping and cheering for every rider.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
@Whorty @theboxers ,
One of the most amazing things is the encouragement from people lining the route. The mellow velo started later so we were close to the last of 8000 riders and they were still clapping and cheering for every rider.

You’re right of course randy. There’s nothing to say you have to kill yourself trying to go as fast as possible. It really was a great day.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Thankfully I'm not a group rider anyway so I'm expecting to do a lot on my own. I'm a smidge nervous around other wheels, bike handling is not my strong point :tongue: I'll sit with other groups where I can, but as you say, on hills I'll get dropped so I need to be careful not to chase and burn myself out :okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thankfully I'm not a group rider anyway so I'm expecting to do a lot on my own. I'm a smidge nervous around other wheels, bike handling is not my strong point :tongue: I'll sit with other groups where I can, but as you say, on hills I'll get dropped so I need to be careful not to chase and burn myself out :okay:
I found the group riding tricky - partly because I'm not used to it and so was being very cautious, and partly because there were lots of other equally inexperienced group riders who were being very far from cautious and had some sort of death wish! The draft was amazing though :biggrin:

Whorty

I found the group riding tricky - partly because I'm not used to it and so was being very cautious, and partly because there were lots of other equally inexperienced group riders who were being very far from cautious and had some sort of death wish! The draft was amazing though :biggrin:
I have 2 targets at the ToC. First one is to complete it (and then become the fastest CCer to ride it on a SS :biggrin: ) and the second target is try and average 16 mph moving speed. I should be able to do both of these riding on my own, so any benefit I get on the ride drafting others, even if for only a mile or two, is pure bonus. I don't need to draft to hit my two targets so I won't be taking risks, or as you note, putting myself around other cyclists who are riding erratically. :okay:

Whorty

@CXRAndy advice needed .... ToC are due to release the course details soon, presumably with a GPX file. Is it possible to use this file in say Element Bolt (or Wahho app) and ride it with gradients changing resistance on the Kickr but to keep visual interest going, have Zwift open and have my avatar cycling in Zwift (but Zwift only seeing speed but not affecting resistance). A bit like what you do with TR.

CXRAndy

Guru
Carl. Yes you can .see here .

View: https://youtu.be/fXiIgoj0JiU

After you've done this then start zwift, unpair the Kickr as controllable trainer . You then ride with the Elemnt controlling resistance based on route gradient.

Edit, if the gpx doesnt have gradients, i have my ride or you can build a route in Strava. There are others like ridegps which should do it also

Whorty

Carl. Yes you can .see here .

View: https://youtu.be/fXiIgoj0JiU

After you've done this then start zwift, unpair the Kickr as controllable trainer . You then ride with the Elemnt controlling resistance based on route gradient.

Edit, if the gpx doesnt have gradients, i have my ride or you can build a route in Strava. There are others like ridegps which should do it also

Cool - thanks @CXRAndy

Top Bottom