Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I’ve entered the ballot too but on the understanding if I get a place I will defer to next year. I have tried the ride 100 London ballot 4/5 too without success so don’t rate my chances!

BILL S

Guru
I've been invited by my club to join a ride from St Malo to Santander (615 miles) starting at the end of May, if I accept it means I'll miss the ToC this year. The trip involves 5 days of 100 miles and the two shorted days (mileage), but a lot more climbing at it heads into Northern Spain. Waiting on more details (costs), but sounds like a cracking week on the bike.

That sounds pretty easy really. It's all a matter of splitting the ride into parts and taking each one as a separate goal. So it's really just the same as doing 5 double devils back to back (and not even the full DD ride, just the easy one).

CXRAndy

Guru
I’ve entered the ballot too but on the understanding if I get a place I will defer to next year. I have tried the ride 100 London ballot 4/5 too without success so don’t rate my chances!

Isnt there 400 places awarded to first timers .So a fair chance of getting a place :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Each day is easy, 100 miles 4000 ft. It's day 6 and 7 that concerns me, I have done 5 days in a row with the climbing front loaded but this trip is the climbing on day 6 and 7. I reckon the group will be looking to average about 15-16 mph, so relaxed days.
Is there an easy day mid week? I find the first 3 days hard and start to get stronger a little on day 5 and 6. Ive learnt to hold back day one and certain climbs and ease into a tour. I spent one climb on day 3 just riding in zone 2 for an 1hr30 knowing others were behind delayed by slow meal service. They caught me near the top, but I had saved something for the 35 mile ride back to the hotel. ^_^

Also when I did the Marmot route, I set off 20 mins early with another rider. It took nearly 4 hours for the rest of the faster group to reel in this time difference.
So dont ride hard to stay with others, but you know that already Paul:okay:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’m pretty sure the start point has moved Andy.

bridgy

Legendary Member
DD now starts and finishes at the County Cycles bike shop not the showground it started from a couple of years back. Routes look to be the same as last year - which means the longer full double devil is also about 10 miles longer than it used to be

kipster

Guru
Is there an easy day mid week? I find the first 3 days hard and start to get stronger a little on day 5 and 6. Ive learnt to hold back day one and certain climbs and ease into a tour. I spent one climb on day 3 just riding in zone 2 for an 1hr30 knowing others were behind delayed by slow meal service. They caught me near the top, but I had saved something for the 35 mile ride back to the hotel. ^_^

Also when I did the Marmot route, I set off 20 mins early with another rider. It took nearly 4 hours for the rest of the faster group to reel in this time difference.
So dont ride hard to stay with others, but you know that already Paul:okay:

I find day two of multi day rides tough, but everything is ok after that. The group is well disciplined and there are two or three strong lads and a couple of back markers so we will all stick together. I'll need to not do more than my fair share on the front.

In Mallorca day two is always Sa Calobra (78miles) and day three puig major (85 miles and 9000ft). Day three always feels easier than two.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Lars, just got this response from ToC organisers;

Hi Robert

You would be able to change to the ToC 100 Sportive start on the day if necessary.

So, if you haven’t already I would email them.

I haven't been following all the ToC talk. I'm a bit confused. Didn't you all agree to enter the sportive?
Did you change your mind and went for the race instead?
The registration info for the race says: "Entrants in the Gran Fondo RACE will need to present a valid full race license when registering at the event".
I had a "sportive" license a fews years ago, which I could renew. Wonder if that would suffice.
What kind of license do you have?

Top Bottom