Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
been there, done that going up Gipsy Hill, Crystal Palace. Had the collision with the top tube at the time as well :cry:
Gypsy Hill nice and steep. Used to go up there on my old SS before some scrote nicked it! Used to ride all the hills around there .... oh I miss my old commutes :laugh:

Whorty

Anyone interested in this? Some cracking rolling roads in Dorset and beautiful scenery.

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/e...dtDcG-gIdsZh7BPaqTIL6P0VJw7T1FGgv-R-Z0CqLkxiw

Whorty

It involves lots of elevation gain in comparison to the ToC. Unless I can shed a load of excess baggage I'll not be there for the long ride.
I did some of the route last May and had to walk up one of the hills - just too steep. Reminded me of the DD staircase! I wasn't the only one walking though. All the other hills were doable though. Absolutely beautiful scenery, stunning area of the country. I got in with a club from Poole last year and they let me join their group on the day - I got a nice free ride with them :okay:

You could do it on the ebike .... give it a nice outing :okay:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Looks like it is a total of 200 per age group in next year's ToC which will mean only 50 qualifiers per age group. I still plan to give it a go - aim to get my best 100 mile time and an outside, outside, outside chance of qualifying. Did I mention is was a very outside chance? And I mean outside :smile:

Entries available to compete for qualification at the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships in 2019 has been restricted to just 200 places per age group at ToC next year.

The Race Gate entries available has been reduced to just 100 per age group classification and many of the age groups have nearly sold out already!

Just been reading the previous 10 or so pages of our post-ride dissection of last year's ToC (i.e. pages 147 - 156). Are we all as motivated now as we sounded then?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Just been reading the previous 10 or so pages of our post-ride dissection of last year's ToC (i.e. pages 147 - 156). Are we all as motivated now as we sounded then?
Didn't do last year and currently not dropped enough excess baggage for this year. Now scared that the 100 miler will have to be dropped in favour of the 100 km ride.

Whorty

Didn't do last year and currently not dropped enough excess baggage for this year. Now scared that the 100 miler will have to be dropped in favour of the 100 km ride.
Nah, come on, MTFU ... if I can do the DD with the excess weight I had (plus having a massive asthma attack) you can do a 100 mile mostly flat course. It's all in the head. If you tell yourself you can't do it, you won't. If you tell yourself you can, you will! Keep training, cut out the crap stuff out your diet and you'll smash it :okay:

theboxers

Nah, come on, MTFU ... if I can do the DD with the excess weight I had (plus having a massive asthma attack) you can do a 100 mile mostly flat course. It's all in the head. If you tell yourself you can't do it, you won't. If you tell yourself you can, you will! Keep training, cut out the crap stuff out your diet and you'll smash it :okay:
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

In my head the miler is the one I will be doing. It's my brothers that are having a crisis of confidence. They have kids and all that entails. So they are not getting the riding in they should and there's little I can do about that.

Well there's only just over 2 months to go to :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:-Day. So onwards an upwards :eek:

Whorty

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

In my head the miler is the one I will be doing. It's my brothers that are having a crisis of confidence. They have kids and all that entails. So they are not getting the riding in they should and there's little I can do about that.

Well there's only just over 2 months to go to :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:-Day. So onwards an upwards :eek:
Stick to the 100 miler and your brothers will join you :okay: Don't let you talk each other out of it now you're so close :thumbsdown:

Once you're on the bike, with hundreds around you, the miles will slip by. The hardest thing will be making it to the start line; it will get easier once you're there :okay:

Just think, it could be worse, you could be doing it on a single speed :laugh: I'm just hoping I have the right gear; it will get very painful very quickly if I don't have that right :eek:

theboxers

Stick to the 100 miler and your brothers will join you :okay: Don't let you talk each other out of it now you're so close :thumbsdown:

Once you're on the bike, with hundreds around you, the miles will slip by. The hardest thing will be making it to the start line; it will get easier once you're there :okay:
:thumbsup:
Just think, it could be worse, you could be doing it on a single speed :laugh: I'm just hoping I have the right gear; it will get very painful very quickly if I don't have that right :eek:
:headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake:

Just found my new piece of kit. I'm thinking of doing the DD now.

That might work on the set up I plan on using. Please note the Alaska state flag looks like the EU flag. It should be a sweet ride with the Alaska flag between the Wales and UK flag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-24-08-21-01.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-24-08-21-01.png
    329.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2019-03-24-17-33-24.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-24-17-33-24.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 23

Norry1

Legendary Member
I just used TrainerRoad to have a look at my last year ride of ToC and it makes interesting reading....

upload_2019-4-6_9-28-44.png

Feels like it is necessary to go out fairly fast so you can get with quicker groups - but the variability in the following half hour segments is quite stark. Would it be better to set off a bit slower and aim to hit a higher overall average wattage?

Top Bottom