Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I just used TrainerRoad to have a look at my last year ride of ToC and it makes interesting reading....

View attachment 461013

Feels like it is necessary to go out fairly fast so you can get with quicker groups - but the variability in the following half hour segments is quite stark. Would it be better to set off a bit slower and aim to hit a higher overall average wattage?

Can you recall if you were in the draft in those slower sections? If so had people settled down into a sustainable pace, getting food and drink on board before the inevitable increase in pace towards the end?

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
In an ideal world I guess you have a rough figure in your head you can sustain for the duration. And then find a group that is going at that pace. Probably not that likely. I think me and Bridgy got lucky last year. I’d rather be ahead and fall into the right group though. Rather than trying to catch them.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I just used TrainerRoad to have a look at my last year ride of ToC and it makes interesting reading....

View attachment 461013

Feels like it is necessary to go out fairly fast so you can get with quicker groups - but the variability in the following half hour segments is quite stark. Would it be better to set off a bit slower and aim to hit a higher overall average wattage?
I have no real plan yet apart from start off steady and see if I can find a group that is going roughly the same pace as me. I'd like to finish it at an average of 16mph (moving time) and with only 1 gear I'm going to have to be careful not to go too deep too early as I will have nowhere to go with gears later in the ride :biggrin:

Anyway, with your new steed you'll be going faster this year for less effort ... you'll be flying :laugh:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just checked the same stuff for the RideLondon I did in 2016. Much more even power distribution and a very strong finish. Very different profile.

upload_2019-4-6_11-18-22.png

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Just checked the same stuff for the RideLondon I did in 2016. Much more even power distribution and a very strong finish. Very different profile.

View attachment 461027

Strong finish indeed! I crawled over the line preying for a quick death... I got roped into taking a turn at the front with about 10 miles to go and I really shouldn’t have.

It’s intersting breaking a ride down like that isn’t it.

CXRAndy

Guru
From memory, I caught both Martin then Bob, riding solo just before one of the last hills before going into the fens. Bob got a lead and got into a decent pack ahead of Martin and I who were behind by a minute or so in another group. Thats how its stayed till I peeled off at mile 40 for replenishment. I rode alone for what seemed an age maybe 15-30mins before I was swept up by another group where I stayed till the bump before Peterborough.

bobinski

Legendary Member
From memory, I caught both Martin then Bob, riding solo just before one of the last hills before going into the fens. Bob got a lead and got into a decent pack ahead of Martin and I who were behind by a minute or so in another group. Thats how its stayed till I peeled off at mile 40 for replenishment. I rode alone for what seemed an age maybe 15-30mins before I was swept up by another group where I stayed till the bump before Peterborough.

That’s sound right. Not nice riding alone. It was tough going in the group but much tougher riding alone after I dropped my chain. I bridged to a group of 4-5 but eventually had to pull away on my own. It was a lonesome ride to the finish

Norry1

Legendary Member
OK, random and likely theoretical question.

If anyone manages to get in the top 25% of ToC, would you plan to go to the World's in Poznan?

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

If anyone manages to get in the top 25% of ToC, would you plan to go to the World's in Poznan?

Doesn’t that only apply if you do the race rather than the sportive this year?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

I think only you, Bob ans Lars are signed up to the qualifying race ... the rest of us are signed up to the sportive. I think this is right .... a change to last year where it was the same race?

CXRAndy

Guru

I met someone who qualified last year. They went to the big event and got absolutely destroyed. They said the pace and the amount of climbing was much much harder to cope with. They did enjoy the spectacle but felt out classed

Norry1

Legendary Member
I met someone who qualified last year. They went to the big event and got absolutely destroyed. They said the pace and the amount of climbing was much much harder to cope with. They did enjoy the spectacle but felt out classed

It is really flat this year by the look of it. 94 miles and less than 1,500 feet of climbing.

upload_2019-4-13_22-27-8.png

I think it is pretty unlikely I'll qualify, but I have sussed out the dates and tried to keep them clear, just on the off chance.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

No, it applies to the Race and the Gran Fondo - but not the sportive.

I'm signed up to the Gran Fondo.

I didn’t realise it was split into 3. I have a feeling Lars and Bob are both now doing the sportive.

For what it’s worth I think I’d try and make world championship if I qualified. Obviously work and family dependent. And also where it was going to be. But even if you came rock bottom last it would be a story to tell.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I didn’t realise it was split into 3. I have a feeling Lars and Bob are both now doing the sportive.

For what it’s worth I think I’d try and make world championship if I qualified. Obviously work and family dependent. And also where it was going to be. But even if you came rock bottom last it would be a story to tell.
'Grandad tell us about the time you went to the cycling world championship as a competitor"

:unsure::whistle::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Top Bottom