Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Haha! Yes sorry 600ml. I think I ran out of water about 10 miles from the end. I realised I was going to run out a few miles before then so I was trying to ration it. Not very well as it turned out...When I did run out I just started necking gels and apricots in a blind panic. I felt like I was on the brink of cramping but luckily I avoided it. But yeah basically completely fukced when I crossed the line. That first fake beer tasted good though didn’t it?

Hopefully you don’t cramp this time mate. It’s a wierd one that. I’ve been getting it a bit recently after rides but I think I’m my case it was just a lack of conditioning.
Haha! Those cold pints of fake/non-alcoholic beer they were giving out free at the end still rates as one of the best drinks I've ever had! I bet it tastes like cat's p*ss in any other situation :laugh:

Yeah I am indeed doing the DD this year.

Like most others on here, although signed up for the 130-miler. I'm feeling a bit dubious about that, not having done any real long or hilly rides this year. I'll do either the 95 or 130, depending on what the majority are up for.

The 60 is tempting at this stage!
I emailed and there is no 60 mile route. So no temptation.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I was thinking about this too - as in whether we can manage not to stop. Last year was 20 miles shorter and I ran out of drink and was really dehydrated by the end - which I think probably contributed to the cramp I got. It was a hot day last year which didn't help obviously. I've got myself a couple of 1 litre bottles for this year (I had 750ml ones last time), but if it's hot again and with the extra 20 miles I'm still not sure that'll be enough - and I'd rather stop for 5 minutes to re-fill a water bottle than to roll around in agony on the side of the road with cramp!

Problem is last year we were in that great little drafting group for so long, it would have been a great shame to stop and lose touch with them so I don't think it ever occurred to us to stop for food/drink re-fills!

Definitely get 950mm or litre bidons. I also take a large bottle of liquid that I drink whilst waiting in the pens to start - and ditch the bottle before the gun. I've done 3 RideLondons and 2 Velothon Wales 100 milers on 2 bidons so I don't have to stop.

Ref speed, don't think about it - it is more what power you are putting out. On the flat in a draft, you are almost cruising at 23-25 mph.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Ref speed, don't think about it - it is more what power you are putting out. On the flat in a draft, you are almost cruising at 23-25 mph.

It’s not that we, or me at any rate, use speed as my main reference during a ride. It’s that it’s a nice marker after the ride. When all is said and done. We generally compare results by time rather than power after all :smile:

Norry1

Legendary Member
It’s not that we, or me at any rate, use speed as my main reference during a ride. It’s that it’s a nice marker after the ride. When all is said and done. We generally compare results by time rather than power after all :smile:

Very true and I agree. My point was to not let the thought of doing those high averages mean people think it is harder than it is.

Trust me, I love the high average speeds ^_^:okay:

Very true and I agree. My point was to not let the thought of doing those high averages mean people think it is harder than it is.

Trust me, I love the high average speeds ^_^:okay:
It really depends on who you’re riding with. TOC mellow Velo ride over 15 mph. The next day riding with @berty bassett less than 11 mph...Obviously he is a much slower rider than I am. There is no other explanation.

Attachments

• 4F0F7343-F20B-4958-B084-1AA60AAB4640.png
    4F0F7343-F20B-4958-B084-1AA60AAB4640.png
    37 KB · Views: 11
  • 82DD5461-04DB-4C74-A970-4CD6DDFBEDE1.png
    82DD5461-04DB-4C74-A970-4CD6DDFBEDE1.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 12

berty bassett

Legendary Member
It really depends on who you’re riding with. TOC mellow Velo ride over 15 mph. The next day riding with @berty bassett less than 11 mph...Obviously he is a much slower rider than I am. There is no other explanation.
drizzle - i hate drizzle

and i must have been recovering from last fall - i mean , law of averages says i must have fell off somewhere around that time :B)

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I'm motivated, but then this could be one of my only outdoor rides of the year so I want to make it count. As much as I can, I'm going to enjoy spinning around on the SS, and even more so when I pass others on geared bikes :biggrin: I have my targets of finish the ride, aim for 16 mph, take as many geared by riders as scalps as I can :laugh:
Mine will probably be one of them :blush:

Top Bottom