Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
I have experienced what is seen in the video, when the conditions and the pace is just about right the group fly along. But like any group ride, if the pace gets too high some or most will suffer even whilst drafting.

There also might be a large group of other riders to draft with initially, we could hang with them if possible
Communication is key, as is taking turns. I would suggest a mile (or half if you're not as strong) on the front and rotate so you get 2 or three miles 'rest' before it's you again. If someone isn't feeling it on the day, then very few efforts on the front for them. If we're all in the same jerseys then we will get used for drafting by others, they think ooh club riders lets get on their wheels. I had that in the New Forest this year, only three of us from the club did a sportive, but we had 10 other riders on our wheels for about 15 miles, no help whatsoever.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Unfortunately I think I might struggle with this date now I've checked diaries as it's at the end of school half term. Shame as I'd really like to do a closed road event like this and see how fast we can go. I'll update if I think I will be able to get away with it somehow!

Sorry you're unlikely to make it mate. I was relying on you for a tow!

Maybe we should start making plans for a suitable date for a more social ride? We could start by throwing some dates out there that we can do?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Shut up! Not at all convincing at the moment :tongue:
i kid you not !i am worried about this ride - much too flat and i have been out that way a few times when the wind has been unkind - truly horrible
the only way i will be happy is if Andy brings his big truck and we can slipstream it !

CXRAndy

Guru
i kid you not !i am worried about this ride - much too flat and i have been out that way a few times when the wind has been unkind - truly horrible
the only way i will be happy is if Andy brings his big truck and we can slipstream it !

Me and the lad slipstreamed an old tractor a few weeks back up a hill(slope to most). It topped out at 19mph, I usually go up at about 16mph on my own. The tractor was that slow we overtook it going down hill later :biggrin:

Lee I am going for the jolly, if the conditions are ideal then a decent pace should be attainable. I much doubt I will get any where near the qualifying time. Pleased if I average 20mph. Its just a case of letting the pace build steadily, so that when not on the front and drafting it feels comfortable. Circling around like the video suggests allows each rider a few seconds per minute working harder then back down to saving energy.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Me and the lad slipstreamed an old tractor a few weeks back up a hill(slope to most). It topped out at 19mph, I usually go up at about 16mph on my own. The tractor was that slow we overtook it going down hill later :biggrin:

Lee I am going for the jolly, if the conditions are ideal then a decent pace should be attainable. I much doubt I will get any where near the qualifying time. Pleased if I average 20mph. Its just a case of letting the pace build steadily, so that when not on the front and drafting it feels comfortable. Circling around like the video suggests allows each rider a few seconds per minute working harder then back down to saving energy.

Aim high and see what happens I reckon! I think we all like pushing ourselves (And eachother), so let's see where we end up with it. Worst case scenario it'll be a great laugh.
You can't beat the buzz of blasting along in a group. Welll... not legally...

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Oooo my time to shine !
I used to be a marriage guidance councillor
The answer is always spend spend spend as it's only the money you saved by giving up your other bad habits !AND it's an investment AND it's for a different discipline AND if it's black and you haven't said anything she may not notice
A word of caution this. Method is not without pitfalls and it may be prudent to hide sharp pointy things as well as blunt heavy things
You should be safe if she is a "thrower" (like my ex ) just leave some of your daughters soft toys dotted about

Disclaimer
Any repercussions due to buying new bike that lead to a negative vibe in the TT household are wholly due to the purchaser not turning on the Terry Thomas charm- could you buy it with a small frame just in case please

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Oooo my time to shine !
I used to be a marriage guidance councillor
The answer is always spend spend spend as it's only the money you saved by giving up your other bad habits !AND it's an investment AND it's for a different discipline AND if it's black and you haven't said anything she may not notice
A word of caution this. Method is not without pitfalls and it may be prudent to hide sharp pointy things as well as blunt heavy things
You should be safe if she is a "thrower" (like my ex ) just leave some of your daughters soft toys dotted about

Disclaimer
Any repercussions due to buying new bike that lead to a negative vibe in the TT household are wholly due to the purchaser not turning on the Terry Thomas charm- could you buy it with a small frame just in case please

Haha!

I'm fully on board with the spend spend spend model! I think the angle I need to work is the completely different discipline model too. Not sure she'll buy it but....

I thought about just getting another black bike and rely her not really giving enough of s cr@p about cycling to notice. Trouble is a fancy something a little more jazzy.

Ps if my missus ever perfects her aim Imsa dead man!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Haha!

I'm fully on board with the spend spend spend model! I think the angle I need to work is the completely different discipline model too. Not sure she'll buy it but....

I thought about just getting another black bike and rely her not really giving enough of s cr@p about cycling to notice. Trouble is a fancy something a little more jazzy.

Ps if my missus ever perfects her aim Imsa dead man!
Better hope she doesn't start reading this forum too :biggrin: If she does, you could be in some serious do-do :B)

Top Bottom