Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Just replacing stock wheels with the Hunt 4 seasons is a significant upgrade and another 150g saving on wheel weight over them probably isnt going to matter in the Pyrenees. Different on the flat of course with a deeper section so... wheel upgrade monies to Etap. Dean, perhaps we can but together next spring and get a deal.

I cant see the benefit of saving 150g for new wheels i would save it and get etap my self so pretty much like what your saying, i thought about getting some new wheels that would save about 500 grams but cost in the region of £650 so in the end i decided against it.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
been thinking about what to do, i would like a power meter for france so i could get that in march then much later in the year get etap as I'll be a lot better off money wise.

Tom when you use your bike do you actually find the power meter useful as in it helps to push a little harder than ýou normally would or do you find it an expensive gadget that you dont use that much.

Dean the powermeter's the best bike related thing I bought since I started cycling to get fit. It's great when your on the bike. But after a ride it's just as good for analysing your effort. It changes the way you workout, helps you gage your effort and is a massive motivator. You have to do a bit of reading and put a bit of work in, but now I'd rather have a power meter on a relatively cheap bike than not have one on a more expensive bike.

Etap on the other hand is a really nice gadget. I love it. I'd probably put it on all my builds that aren't comuters. But after a while you kind of take it for granted and don't notice it. Maybe that's a reflection of how reliable it is too, but it doesn't do anything mechanical groupsets don't do really. It's got really nice features but it won't make you fitter or faster. I'd highly recommend getting a powermeter first.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

From what I understand weight lost from your wheels have more of an effect than weight lost from anywhere else on your bike. It's to do with rolling mass. But it's not going to make us suddenly climb like Alberto contador! More likely just makes climbs a little easier.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

must admit to getting some hunt wheels - not ultra deep (38mm) but boy do they feel nice - tucked away for winter now ( unless its very nice and dry next weekend )^_^
dean - i have a power meter back wheel - but in all honesty - there is a hell of a lot to learn before you can use it properly - be easy if it was pan flat or a constant gradient but it gets so confusing when going up and down or the wind is a factor ,in the end i was just checking average power at the end of the ride
i guess if i had put more time into learning how to use it properly then i would definitely have got more out of it - it was good on windy days when you think you should be going faster in a headwind but check watts and realise your kicking out more than usual

Bring those bad boys out to play!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I could buy 10 sets for the same price.:ohmy: I don't know really, I always think £1k or more for wheels just seems a waste of cash. My cheap Chinese weigh within a 100g of my more expensive aero wheels. On the other hand a frame or groupset I can justify spending more:wacko:

I know what you mean Andy. I sort of agree, sort of dont... Talking about 'worth' and 'value' are difficult ones aren't they? Some people wouldn't dream of spending 1k on an entire bike. Some people could drop 15k without a second thought!

It runs through every purchase/ money decision we make.

I have zipp wheelsets and I also have some 50mm Planet X ones. There's a definite difference in quality from the brake track, to the hubs to the build quality, stiffness etc. Are they worth the cash? Not at the expense of anything that's important. Not if you're paying for them with money you don't have I suppose is where I stand.

bobinski

Legendary Member
From what I understand weight lost from your wheels have more of an effect than weight lost from anywhere else on your bike. It's to do with rolling mass. But it's not going to make us suddenly climb like Alberto contador! More likely just makes climbs a little easier.

Absolutely, and my Hunts are 1500gms give or take few grms, and their light weight climbing wheels are about 1380grms so not much difference really- a handful of jelly beans. I may will swap my 28 Ones for 25’s and a little less sealant to make up the difference ^_^I intend to be no more than 70 kilos by time we got to France so 3 more to go. I reckon that will make the bigger difference.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I know what you mean Andy. I sort of agree, sort of dont... Talking about 'worth' and 'value' are difficult ones aren't they? Some people wouldn't dream of spending 1k on an entire bike. Some people could drop 15k without a second thought!

It runs through every purchase/ money decision we make.

I have zipp wheelsets and I also have some 50mm Planet X ones. There's a definite difference in quality from the brake track, to the hubs to the build quality, stiffness etc. Are they worth the cash? Not at the expense of anything that's important. Not if you're paying for them with money you don't have I suppose is where I stand.
I am the same in a way. Cash is king to me. If I don't have the cash I don't get the thing, at least until I do have the cash and it's not needed for anything else.

I'd like a bike with Di2 or eTAP. However most of the current models that carry it are weight limited, generally <110kg. I have a way to go before I get there. :cry:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Absolutely, and my Hunts are 1500gms give or take few grms, and their light weight climbing wheels are about 1380grms so not much difference really- a handful of jelly beans. I may will swap my 28 Ones for 25’s and a little less sealant to make up the difference ^_^I intend to be no more than 70 kilos by time we got to France so 3 more to go. I reckon that will make the bigger difference.

I read something interesting the other day (well I thought it was...) Apparently the added effort it takes to turn a wheel with a 25mm tyre compared to a 23mm is worth one tooth on the big ring. E.g going from 53 teeth to 54. Due to making the radius of the wheel larger. So going from 28 to 25mm should make the bike feel like it climbs easier in theory.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
That's why I don't have any. I know that the limit, to me, would only be a suggestion :cursing:.
My Credit Card has a DD to clear down every month, so whilst I do use it, I use it as i do my debit card. I don't do debt - cleared my mortgage as fast as possible and never spend above my means. I grew up in a poor family, so know what it's like to have nothing, and i don't want to go back to that life ever again! Hence why I ride a relatively inexpensive Boardman from Halfords which works just fine for me and my riding ability :okay:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Just entered the Tour of Cambridgeshire Chrono event, June 2th :bicycle:.
It didn't seem like a good idea to bring along the family - promised them a trip to London at a later time.
How many of you guys are going?

Enough of us to probably get in your way at the start^_^ after that we will be trying to draft you!
I think 6 of us

Top Bottom