Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I should be ok on Ali rimmed clinchers shouldn’t I ? I would hate to have to buy a new bike

Ali rims are fine. The trouble with carbon clinchers is that the rim walls were too thin and delaminated under long heavy braking because of the temperatures they reached. They've become better with time but I wouldn't risk them. To be honest I think if you're getting an expensive carbon wheelset you've got to go tubular to get the weight / ride benefits they've offer over clinchers.

The only thing to be weary of with aluminium clinchers is not to use butyl inner tubes as they can't cope with the heat build up.

I know it is said a lot but next years trip is not a race
I do want to feel like I have gave it a good go up one of them but would much rather bimble along up most - trouble is gearing - currently 29/36 - to get a rhythm going so it don’t become too hard , it does mean that you tend to go faster than you should - think I may go down to 34 or even 33 inner ring next year and see what happens

Same Berty. I'm going to knock out a pace that suits me, however fast that is time will tell. I do love the suffering if I'm honest because I like pushing myself. But I don't want to miss the views for chewing the stem!

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Etap on the other hand is a really nice gadget ... but it doesn't do anything mechanical groupsets don't do really.
I'm sorry TT but there is one thing an electronic system doesn't do that mechanical do ... break the frickin' gear cables!! No way was I going to complete the Rhone Valley ride in BRVR with only 50/11 and 34/11 ... Well and not stay in Zone 2.

Agreed though, having ridden with virtual power meter on the BKool, I really want one for RL ... Planning on Garmin 3 pedals, as I'll be able to swap them easily from bike to bike. ... Crazy buying pedals that cost more than the bike!!

CXRAndy

Guru
Lee you will be fine, due to your weight in normal gearing. All the guys I rode with who were in the 70-80kg coped fine-albeit they had no bailout gear but climbed Ventoux 3 times in the day. Adding a 33t inner ring will give you the reassurance of being able to keep a good cadence. You and Andy Limb are about the same stature and he climbs mountains with no problems. :okay:
It's only us heavyweights that need MTB gearing to climb at 80+rpm:laugh:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yeah ultimately watts per kilo (Lee :smile:) wins. But it's not a race for me. I'm going to try savour it as much as possible. But no doubt whatever weight you are lighter gear 'feels' more effortless

Dunno about you guys, but I find on long, extended climbs, I can only climb at one pace - it doesn't become a choice thing other than for fairly short stretches.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I'm sorry TT but there is one thing an electronic system doesn't do that mechanical do ... break the frickin' gear cables!! No way was I going to complete the Rhone Valley ride in BRVR with only 50/11 and 34/11 ... Well and not stay in Zone 2.

Agreed though, having ridden with virtual power meter on the BKool, I really want one for RL ... Planning on Garmin 3 pedals, as I'll be able to swap them easily from bike to bike. ... Crazy buying pedals that cost more than the bike!!

It's was turbo training that made me miss the power readings in the real world too. The garmin pedals look good don't they.

Regarding the mechanical I know what you mean. I have had an etap battery fail on me mid ride which was a pain. But at least you can swap the front and rear batteries around as a last resort. Funnily enough the only time a gear cable has snapped on me I was on the turbo too. Maybe it encourages slightly more erratic gear changes at times.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Dunno about you guys, but I find on long, extended climbs, I can only climb at one pace - it doesn't become a choice thing other than for fairly short stretches.

Yeah I'm the same Norry. Maybe it's partly the knowledge that you have to pay for any over exuberant little bursts later up the hill! To be fair I've done alp d'huez lots of times on the the turbo so I can slowly ramp up my effort nearer the end. Knowing sort of exactly where I stand in relation to distance left vs how I'm feeling is easier to judge with familiarity. But in the real world it feels a bit more of a gamble.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I know it is said a lot but next years trip is not a race
I do want to feel like I have gave it a good go up one of them but would much rather bimble along up most - trouble is gearing - currently 29/36 - to get a rhythm going so it don’t become too hard , it does mean that you tend to go faster than you should - think I may go down to 34 or even 33 inner ring next year and see what happens

BIMBLE?!? Lee, Wash your mouth out! :tongue:

Absolutely NOT a race BUT you have to ride at your pace and I suppose having a pm can help with that.
You will be absolutely fine with your gearing given you w/k but could change to a 34 for leeway. I was 34/28.

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Thank god it is the 3rd- getting worried there:whistle:

I would recommend tubeless on ali or carbon rims but only because, weight and feel advantages aside, my experience has been so positive. I am now looking for some wood to touch asap ...phew!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I can't imagine going back to 23mm tyres now. The difference in comfort that 2mm makes, and the reduction in tyre pressure needed in tubs/tubeless is massive.

The irony of those 3.5k lightweight meilenstein wheels, is they're not really suited for a tyre wider than 23mm. And the shape of the rim makes them a handful in the wind apparently. If they updated their design I'd love to have a go on a pair though to see what all the fuss was about.

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

It's was turbo training that made me miss the power readings in the real world too. The garmin pedals look good don't they.
I've had the original Garmin Vectors almost since they were introduced. They can be a bit finicky to install (looks like the v3 has sorted that out a la th P1's), but they've been on 3 different bikes with no major issues. Having a truer power to work from or to whilst out has made my infrequent forays in to the real world more pleasant. I have to ride up hills whichever way I go from where I live and working to a power has made climbing them almost enjoyable :bicycle:.

Top Bottom