Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Best I dust the bike off 👍👍
I’m in

bridgy

Legendary Member
I’m prob up for it mate. Whippet? I’m not sure how I’d play it. What time were you thinking of setting off?
Really don't mind mate - early enough to fit the whole ride (and coffee stop!) in, but late enough to give everyone enough time to get here. I'm happy to pick you up from a train station if required. Or I don't know if there's a possibility of you travelling with @BILL S at all?

bridgy

Legendary Member
I’m prob up for it mate. Whippet? I’m not sure how I’d play it. What time were you thinking of setting off?
Ride is around 70 miles. Even at a leisurely 15mph average and a cafe stop, 5-6 hours should be all that's needed. (Also due to the nature of the route if anyone has a problem that massively delays them, it's easy to cut the route short and do a much smaller loop back to Cheddar if required).

So on that basis I think we could start as late as 11am and still be all done by 5pm, if needed.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’ve just seen its just over two hours from Paddington to west in super mare so I can be pretty flexible to be honest. I could also drive but I bloomin hate driving! Maybe I come over early on the morning and cycle from west on super mare. I’d prob be up for staying a night too but it’s good to know I could do it there and back in a day no problem if that’s what it comes to.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Here's a photo guide to the 19th June ride to whet your appetites ^_^:

We'll start with a climb up Cheddar Gorge out of Cheddar (race anyone ;))

Next will be a fast descent of Burrington Combe (watch out for the cattle grids :wacko:)

Then onto the coast and the ever classy (:whistle:) Weston Super Mare seafront:

Back inland on the Somerset Levels and then a stop at the legendary cyclist cafe Sweets Tea Rooms for an energy top-up:

Across the Somerset levels to Glastonbury Tor:

Past Wells Cathedral:

Through Wookey Hole and back up the Mendips via Deer Leap where you get this view of the levels and Glastonbury Tor:

And back down Cheddar Gorge (watch out for sheep, goats and tourists wondering all over the road :rolleyes:):

And finally....beers all round :cheers:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Here's a photo guide to the 19th June ride to whet your appetites ^_^:

We'll start with a climb up Cheddar Gorge out of Cheddar (race anyone ;)) View attachment 590957

Next will be a fast descent of Burrington Combe (watch out for the cattle grids :wacko:)
View attachment 590958

Then onto the coast and the ever classy (:whistle:) Weston Super Mare seafront:
View attachment 590959

Back inland on the Somerset Levels and then a stop at the legendary cyclist cafe Sweets Tea Rooms for an energy top-up:
View attachment 590960

Across the Somerset levels to Glastonbury Tor:
View attachment 590961

Past Wells Cathedral:
View attachment 590962

Through Wookey Hole and back up the Mendips via Deer Leap where you get this view of the levels and Glastonbury Tor:
View attachment 590964

And back down Cheddar Gorge (watch out for sheep, goats and tourists wondering all over the road :rolleyes:):
View attachment 590965

And finally....beers all round :cheers:
View attachment 590966

Great preview @bridgy :okay:

I'm amazed you managed to get a shot of sand and sea at Weston Super Mare - normally all you see is mud :biggrin: My Dad now lives 100 yards from that seafront!

Not that I'll have any chance, but it will have to be a race up Cheddar Gorge.

BILL S

Guru
Really don't mind mate - early enough to fit the whole ride (and coffee stop!) in, but late enough to give everyone enough time to get here. I'm happy to pick you up from a train station if required. Or I don't know if there's a possibility of you travelling with @BILL S at all?

Good thinking Paul. I'd be very happy for @Tommy to throw his bike in the back with mine. What do you reckon Tommy? You might as well come with me if you don't mind doing it all in one day.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Says it will take about 3 hrs from here so I might comedown night before
If you have any recommendations for places if you don’t mind letting me know and I will find their number and sort something
Did someone mention race !!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Says it will take about 3 hrs from here so I might comedown night before
If you have any recommendations for places if you don’t mind letting me know and I will find their number and sort something
Did someone mention race !!
In Cheddar itself the only actual hotel as such is Gordon's Hotel- https://www.gordonshotel.co.uk/. Apart from that there's a few B&Bs, a Youth Hostel and campsites/ caravan parks. Try Booking.com for a list of B&Bs. Outside of Cheddar, there's a Premier Inn a 1p minute drive away in Sidcot, another one 20 minutes away in Wells, and a Holiday Inn a 15 minute drive away near the airport.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Good thinking Paul. I'd be very happy for @Tommy to throw his bike in the back with mine. What do you reckon Tommy? You might as well come with me if you don't mind doing it all in one day.

Bill thanks very nice for the offer, and it’ll be really great to catch up with you too mate. I think taking the train is my preference though. I’m just not a big fan of sitting in cars on long journeys if I can avoid it.

Top Bottom