Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’ve just re read the first few pages of this thread. I clicked the wrong page by mistake and I got sucked into a bit of nostalgia trip (slow morning…) It’s pretty funny reading to be fair. Early stages of planning the Pyrenees trip, the first Cambridge trip, and we’re trying to get kit designs and the team name locked down. When I stopped reading we were still a long way off what ended up being our final kit and name, so I don’t know how we ended up where we did!

But… does anyone have an appetite for a new kit design? There’s quite a few new guys in the group since the last jersey was produced. And I think it’s fair to say unless you have a high tolerance for itchy potato sacks the last jersey wasn’t a complete success. Although one thing it did confirm is that it was great seeing us all in the same clobber so might be worth another bash?

bridgy

Legendary Member
I’ve just re read the first few pages of this thread. I clicked the wrong page by mistake and I got sucked into a bit of nostalgia trip (slow morning…) It’s pretty funny reading to be fair. Early stages of planning the Pyrenees trip, the first Cambridge trip, and we’re trying to get kit designs and the team name locked down. When I stopped reading we were still a long way off what ended up being our final kit and name, so I don’t know how we ended up where we did!

But… does anyone have an appetite for a new kit design? There’s quite a few new guys in the group since the last jersey was produced. And I think it’s fair to say unless you have a high tolerance for itchy potato sacks the last jersey wasn’t a complete success. Although one thing it did confirm is that it was great seeing us all in the same clobber so might be worth another bash?
I'd be up for that- great idea.

bobinski

Legendary Member

And judging by the expensive bikes and gear in display yesterday price shouldn’t be too much of a consideration 😀

Norry1

Legendary Member

Yep, why not

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Oh dear @berty bassett it looks like your GPS went a bit haywire on your climb of Cheddar Gorge this morning and none of the uphill segments have recorded.....what a terrible shame....:cuppa:

Which car did you say you owned @bridgy? 🧐

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Oh dear @berty bassett it looks like your GPS went a bit haywire on your climb of Cheddar Gorge this morning and none of the uphill segments have recorded.....what a terrible shame....:cuppa:
yea dont know what went wrong - but it wouldnt have mattered - bits of rock and goats on the wet road hampered progress - not that i am making excuses - beat fair and square
though i could have been saving a bit for the other climb ^_^
real good day mate and thanks to you 2 for sorting it out
oh and tommy - i saw the sadistic side of bridgy when he had a drink -he let slip that he is willing to kill himself in races, the few times he joined the table inbetween trips to the bog
found his achilles heel ! slow him down in a race by making sure he drinks more than a pint ! thought my bladder was small !

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I have a mock up kit made up from last time we had this conversation. I just tried to find it on my rapha account but apparently they’re not taking new orders until 1st of August. If anyone’s good with the forum search function they could prob find it posted here.

Not that rapha is the only option of course. But it’d be easier to get the sizing right with a kit a few of us are familiar with.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

yea dont know what went wrong - but it wouldnt have mattered - bits of rock and goats on the wet road hampered progress - not that i am making excuses - beat fair and square
oh and tommy - i saw the sadistic side of bridgy when he had a drink -he let slip that he is willing to kill himself in races, the few times he joined the table inbetween trips to the bog
found his achilles heel ! slow him down in a race by making sure he drinks more than a pint ! thought my bladder was small !

😄

It’s a real shame I missed the drink. Although to be fair I think it’s a given we’re all near death at times when we’ve raced against eachother!

I’ve still got everything crossed that bridgy and co join us at ventoux. It’d be such a laugh. I mean there’s still a chance that none of us get there. But I’m living in hope that the quarantine rules are changing and you guys make it too. It’s maybe just a question of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ the rules change. At the moment our flights keep shifting. Getting cancelled as they’re under subscribed I guess. So far it’s gone from a 4 night trip to a 7 night trip! But it’s does mean we might catch the ventoux leg of the TDF. C’mon Boris, do something useful for once in your life!!! 🤞🤞🤞

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hey Lee, you know the rules- what happened in Cheddar stays in Cheddar mate :okay:

As for the gorge climb, none of us are under any illusion that given a clear run at it you'll smash my best time- after all you've got that secret uphill motor you use ;)

But for now, I'm still officially a better climber than you :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Not that itchy
1624199390054.png

Sadly I somehow lost mine somewhere between Wales and Scotland. If anybody sees someone riding with a Jersey that has R.Berlin on the back you'll know they were the next person to use the washing machine in a laundromat.

Edit: This company makes some good stuff and offer custom jerseys. Their shorts are very comfortable.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com

Last edited:

BILL S

Guru
Thanks for a great cycle yesterday chaps and thanks very much for organising it Paul. I'm feeling much happier with my lack of fitness now because I made it round even though there was no chance I'd manage that last climb. Thanks Ian for slowing to my pace when you could easily go faster and taking me the route that wouldn't leave me as a broken wreck of a man (like at the end of the Double Devil). That Doombar at the end was almost as good as my date and oat slice at the half way point. It was really interesting listening to Martyn talk about his training/racing ambitions and so I took this (new to me concept) of recovery rides to heart and am just home from my 10 miles at 150 watts. Yesterday I'd have said no chance of doing that but already forgotten the pain by this morning.
Can't wait for the next meet up after this one being such a success.

Top Bottom