Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Is this still a runner?

Definitely

My plan is to wait until Rapha come back online with their made to measure stuff. Not that we have to go rapha. Iā€™m just thinking itā€™d be good to see what theyā€™re offering. We also have Castelli contact info from a previous attempt. But Iā€™m open to any other suggestions or recommendations people have. I would suggest people only recommend companies they have first hand experience of rather than ā€˜a friend of a friend said theyā€™re goodā€™ etc :smile:.

I think we learned some lessons last time so maybe this time we accept we pay a little more. But hopefully we can find something everyone can buy into!

BurningLegs

Veteran
Anyone fancy the Isle of Wight randonee this year?

https://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

Just been announced for the 1st of May, with registrations opening "early Feb" with limited numbers compared with previous years. I've booked my ferry (8AM from Southampton), and if I miss out on an official registration then so what? I have a ferry ticket and will exercise my right to ride on the public roads round the island. :smile:

I've only done it once before (in 2018) - I had planned to do it in 2020 but that was cancelled cos covid. Really looking forward to this years event, and I plan to have at least partially restored my climbing legs! :smile:

bobinski

Legendary Member

Just been announced for the 1st of May, with registrations opening "early Feb" with limited numbers compared with previous years. I've booked my ferry (8AM from Southampton), and if I miss out on an official registration then so what? I have a ferry ticket and will exercise my right to ride on the public roads round the island. :smile:

I've only done it once before (in 2018) - I had planned to do it in 2020 but that was cancelled cos covid. Really looking forward to this years event, and I plan to have at least partially restored my climbing legs! :smile:
I would be up for that. IOW grass verge and I have unfinished business ^_^

Norry1

Legendary Member

Looks fun. I'm interested but wouldn't be able to commit for a while yet.

Just checked the Wightlink Ferries from Portsmouth and you get a decent discount if you are over 60 :biggrin:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Makes sense not to plan too far ahead at your age šŸ˜

Very true.

My Dad is 94 and he was recently asked if he wanted a cheaper deal on his phone for taking out a multi-year contract. Yep, he went for it :okay:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Guys regarding the IOW trip do people favour doing it as part of the organised ride or consider doing it another day when the roads arenā€™t as busy? My personal preference is for the latter but itā€™s not a deal breaker for me either way.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Iā€™m up for either. Iā€™ve got a ferry booked for the day of the organised ride but will either change the date or do both if thereā€™s a preference for a CC only jaunt.

Iā€™d want to do the same direction as the organised ride though, to get a comparison of times ^_^

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm potentially up for that @BurningLegs as long as I can clear it through family commitments etc
Guys regarding the IOW trip do people favour doing it as part of the organised ride or consider doing it another day when the roads arenā€™t as busy? My personal preference is for the latter but itā€™s not a deal breaker for me either way.
@<Tommy> I guess it might be a bit busier on the island as it's a Bank Holiday weekend when the Randonnee is on, but on the other hand the fact it's a bank holiday might also make it easier for some of us to make it there for the day? (And any weekend in the summer can get busy there car-wise).

It's not really a particularly organised event like a normal Sportive and the fact everyone is riding in the same direction but can start anywhere means you usually see surprisingly few other cyclists. By registering you can stop at each of the designated stops, get your card stamped and then get a certificate at the end (and an option to buy a little badge) if you want and that's it really. Or you could ignore all that and just ride it how you want. It's free to enter, so you can still stop for water/food/toilet at any of the checkpoints whether you're registered or not.

When I first started to do it years ago I was an inexperienced cyclist and I was grateful of all the stops and would stop for lunch and it would take a whole day. If I did it now I'd probably be frustrated by having to keep stopping! It's only 60-70 miles.

I don't really mind either, but going on the Sunday of a Bank Holiday does appeal I think

BurningLegs

Veteran
Yes, good point about the organisation of the ride @bridgy - there are three ferry ports on the island so people start quite scattered and tend to disperse quickly. Locals know itā€™s happening and avoid the roads. The only real pinch point is the chain ferry.

I live in Eastleigh, 5 min ride from Southampton airport parkway train station and 30 min casual ride to the ferry port in Southampton. I can put a couple of people up (if youā€™re happy with a sofa bed or blow up mattress!), and I have lots of secure bike storage. :smile:

Top Bottom