Turbo set up in outbuilding (too cold ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planning my Winter set up for the Turbo and want something that will be permanently set up over those few months. So far i've used my Turbo and Rollers in our utility room that is very warm all year round, but it means i get very hot even with a decent fan and more importantly that i have to set it all up and pack it away before and after sessions and being a lazy a$rse i know that is sometimes an excuse not to do a session..... and something i'd like to remove !

So my thought's were to set everything up in our barn where i have loads of space, can run an ethernet cable to ensure a good wifi signal, has power and lights but is totally unheated :ohmy: In essence i suppose it would be similar to using a garage in the UK without the dampness found on a soggy island...Through Winter it would mean that the average temperature would be around 5-8º during the day when i'd likely be in there but i wonder if that's going to be too cold ?

Anyone else train in an unheated out building ?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I train in an unheated garage, even then I often have the side door and often the big main door open even at minus temperatures. I might start with both fans off and a thin layer on top, but I certainly don't end that way. As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as too cold on a trainer.

si_c

Guru
I think there may well be an advantage to having a setup in the barn. Even in winter I often have all the windows in the spare room open to help regulate temperature, despite also having 2 4000cfm 18" fans. I'd think that 5°-10° would be about perfect workout temperature, especially if going quite hard.

Assuming there is no issue with damp then why not try it out?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Planning my Winter set up for the Turbo and want something that will be permanently set up over those few months. So far i've used my Turbo and Rollers in our utility room that is very warm all year round, but it means i get very hot even with a decent fan and more importantly that i have to set it all up and pack it away before and after sessions and being a lazy a$rse i know that is sometimes an excuse not to do a session..... and something i'd like to remove !

So my thought's were to set everything up in our barn where i have loads of space, can run an ethernet cable to ensure a good wifi signal, has power and lights but is totally unheated :ohmy: In essence i suppose it would be similar to using a garage in the UK without the dampness found on a soggy island...Through Winter it would mean that the average temperature would be around 5-8º during the day when i'd likely be in there but i wonder if that's going to be too cold ?

Anyone else train in an unheated out building ?

That sounds perfect. I train in a garage in winter and only wear bibs and a jersey and still use a fan. You soon warm up!

BurningLegs

Veteran
The garage is lovely in winter. Even at or below freezing I still use a fan and the only trouble I have is if I forget to wear gloves and the fan blows the freezing air onto my fingers! :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’ll be perfect I train on the patio in winter. Jacket on whilst warming up then just a T-shirt once I start the intervals.

D

Deleted member 26715

the latest rigs have an android linked simulator for that I think.
It's a while since I've seen one but they didn't look very realistic to me, it takes a certain mentality to be able to ride a turbo, something in which I lack.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Saw this at the local DIY, probably overkill even for Summer:laugh:

Add a hose in front of that and it would remind me of Blighty weather:wacko:

si_c

Guru
Saw this at the local DIY, probably overkill even for Summer:laugh:

View attachment 544076

Add a hose in front of that and it would remind me of Blighty weather:wacko:
I would have thought that it's probably a bit underkill actually, it'll move a large volume of air but you probably want a higher velocity than that will produce. Of course if you had one of those and a couple of 18" HV fans that might be perfect :laugh:

Top Bottom