Turbo trainer bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

Other than making sure a bike fits does the weight or components matter on a bike fitted to a turbo?

Other than making sure the rear derailleur is 9,10 or 11 speed I assume the only thing better components will do is give a smother gear shift. Looking at a Wahoo kickR so wheels don't even play a part I assume.

My wife has expressed an interest in using a turbo trainer and I would like to have a bike to use on it when I get one. Giving that Carly doesn't intend to do "hard" training just build a bit of a sweat I think I may get away with raising and lowering the seat. (this is semantics I can swap bikes as needed).

Lonestar

Veteran
I've had it just over 2 months and have technically done 689 miles (recorded by cycle computer on rear wheel)and it has made a difference to my fitness and speed on the road.A mile takes about four minutes and I tryu and do at least 8 a day although target for month is between 250 and 300.I did 315 last month and 220 in first month.

Turbo trainer that is.Believe it or not I got a puncture on 600 miles.

I bought a rear wheel for the audax and a special trainer tyre.Inner tube now has Tyreweld in it to hopefully keep the inner tube cool and resist p*nct*r£$.Using 14th gear on an 8 gear block.

Strange thing I found tonight was the chain was very dry (I guess that's from the sweat)...Had to put some grease on it as I had nothing else.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am a fan of a 'crappy' bike on a trainer that is permanently attached. No faff with taking it on/off all the time, swapping tyres, wheels etc and no worries about sweat doing nasty stuff. Obviously for a Kickr you cannot go too old school, but a crash damaged bike could be cheap enough.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A pal of mine completely ruined a nice steel Bianchi by using it on a turbo; he sweated all over it and it rusted badly, even the bosses for the downtube shifters rusted away.

A turbo trainer is the most depressing, discouraging, boring and uncomfortable way to train. Out on the road you have the challenges of slope, road surface, traffic, route-finding and forcing yourself to ride past pubs and cafes without stopping. Constant changes in speed and posture ensure you don't sit for long periods in the same posture, which gets uncomfortable very quickly, especially if your bike setup is bad or you have a fat sweaty padded saddle.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A pal of mine completely ruined a nice steel Bianchi by using it on a turbo; he sweated all over it and it rusted badly, even the bosses for the downtube shifters rusted away.

A turbo trainer is the most depressing, discouraging, boring and uncomfortable way to train. Out on the road you have the challenges of slope, road surface, traffic, route-finding and forcing yourself to ride past pubs and cafes without stopping. Constant changes in speed and posture ensure you don't sit for long periods in the same posture, which gets uncomfortable very quickly, especially if your bike setup is bad or you have a fat sweaty padded saddle.
It's also the only way to train for some people. Whether due to injury or time constraints

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Erm Thanks but which aspect?

I am a fan of a 'crappy' bike on a trainer that is permanently attached. No faff with taking it on/off all the time, swapping tyres, wheels etc and no worries about sweat doing nasty stuff. Obviously for a Kickr you cannot go too old school, but a crash damaged bike could be cheap enough.

Ah crashed I hadn't thought of that seen loads of "repaired" Crabon frames that I wouldn't been keen to take on the road.

Thanks that answers the question, I didn't realise. Completely revised my plans now. :wacko:

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is another concern when using a bike on a turbo, which is the possibility of damage to the frame in the long term. A bike frame is designed mostly for vertical loading with torsional stiffness built in but it's not built to be swayed from side to side while clamped rigidly by the rear dropouts. I used to use my robust alloy Tricross on a turbo but, do you know, I would actually worry about using a carbon bike long term. Carbon frames do flex and I've had a witness crack where the alloy dropout was bonded into the chainstay and the hard brittle paint has cracked under slight movement. Sprinting on a turbo puts quite violent sideways moments into a frame and I've read that some manufacturers will not honour the warranty if a frame breaks under these stresses.

I've just Ebayed my turbo as i only used it about ten times in eight years. Better rolling along in the fresh air, enjoying the sights and smells I say.

Lonestar

Veteran
It's also the only way to train for some people. Whether due to injury or time constraints

Time constraints for me but at least it's making the commutes easier after doing long jobs.

I do like the idea of getting another bike and using that on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
richie244

richie244

There is another concern when using a bike on a turbo, which is the possibility of damage to the frame in the long term. A bike frame is designed mostly for vertical loading with torsional stiffness built in but it's not built to be swayed from side to side while clamped rigidly by the rear dropouts. I used to use my robust alloy Tricross on a turbo but, do you know, I would actually worry about using a carbon bike long term. Carbon frames do flex and I've had a witness crack where the alloy dropout was bonded into the chainstay and the hard brittle paint has cracked under slight movement. Sprinting on a turbo puts quite violent sideways moments into a frame and I've read that some manufacturers will not honour the warranty if a frame breaks under these stresses.

I've just Ebayed my turbo as i only used it about ten times in eight years. Better rolling along in the fresh air, enjoying the sights and smells I say.

Exactly why I intend to get a cheeper Alloy, Aluminium or even steal frame for the awesome time I will have riding mountains on tv.

Why do you have to make sure the derailleur is 9, 10 or 11sp? I used to have an 8sp for the turbo bike and a 10sp on the road going bike. You just need something that fits it doesn't matter the components or weight

It was an assumption on my part. Thanks for clearing it up, even less to worry about.

Top Bottom