Turbo trainer, first thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I've just got a cheap turbo trainer and I thought I'd offer a few initial thoughts in case it might help others thinking about getting one. But first a bit of background...

I'm only recently back to cycling at the age of 58 after a break of about 20 years. I also had a heart attack and quadruple bypass 10 years ago, from which I recovered remarkably quickly (and will be forever thankful for the treatment and rehab care I received from Liverpool's Broad Green hospital and staff). Since that illness, I've been focused on cardiac fitness - I walk at least 10,000 steps a day, push my old Mum around in her wheelchair for rides of around 5 to 8 miles every weekend (weather permitting), and I exercise at home too.

I bought a fairly cheap elliptical trainer and exercise bike shortly after my rehab. I love the elliptical trainer and have almost worn it out (when I use it now it creaks and groans more than I do), but I never liked the exercise bike - I guess it's fine as an exercise machine, but I tend to judge it as a bicycle and the geometry is all wrong.

Anyway, back to cycling, and I've signed up for the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 100 mile ride next July as a target. In the (distant) past my preparation for a 100 mile ride was usually just a few 25-50 mile rides, ease up on the pub visits the week before, and then just get up and go - but I can't do it like that now, and I need some training through the winter.

So, I got a Tacx Blue Matic (£87, Halfords), and so far I've done two sessions of 30 and 60 minutes - and I'm liking it. For one thing, the geometry is right, because it's my bike on it!

It really is good being able to pedal away for an hour while watching telly in the warm and listening to the hailstorm in the background outside (though when other family members are watching Emmerdale or Corrie, it might be more of an incentive to turn it round and aim for the hail).

It's also nice having my fitbit and iPad in sync and watching my heart rate - it meant I could amble along at a pace of around 115-120 bpm, interspersed with short bursts to around 135-150.

It struck me that an hour on the trainer is worth more than an hour on the road, because there's no coasting and it's continuous effort. I also found it harder on my bum, as there's nothing remotely like the uphill resistance that puts the pressure onto the pedals (I'm breaking in a new Brooks Swallow, so it all helps).

The trainer is clearly very hard on tyres. I have a pair of relatively cheap Continental Ultra Sport slick tyres on the bike, and I like them on the road - there's no puncture protection to speak of and the walls are thin, but pumped up hard they feel great (and as an aside, even these cheap slicks are way better than the junk I used to ride on in the past, and tyres is an area where I'm really pleased to see progress). But they seem to have a soft compound, and I've managed to melt the surface and roll off little beads of rubber (hey, just like F1 drivers - I'm a mean cyclist!). I've since found some cheap tyres on offer at £6 each, so I've ordered some of those for use with the trainer.

Anyway, much rambling later, I'd encourage anyone who's pondering the purchase of a turbo trainer to go for it. I think my Tacx one is very good value (other makes are, of course, available, and I'm sure they're similarly good), and mine is going to get a lot of use. And it's really not a big investment to risk.

Meanwhile, 100 miles? Bring it on!

Alan

Last edited:
Turbos are fantastic bits of kit, if you're recuperating after injury / illness, or setting a bike up after a build / rebuild / major overhaul.
Personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than use one for anything else. They're also useful if you are doing specific training, that would be a bad idea on an open road ( one leg drills for example ). I ride in any conditions ( except Ice / strong risk of ice ) but I've got a trike on my N+1 list, then even ice can do one:becool:. I guess it's each to their own, but there's so much missing from the riding experience, riding on a turbo, I really can't be bothered with it ( except for the above examples ).

S-Express

Something is not right if the tyre is melting. The Ultrasport is not a particularly soft compound so it's possible you may have the roller pressure adjusted incorrectly. My son uses the same turbo and we have no issue with tyres at all.

They're also useful if you are doing specific training, that would be a bad idea on an open road ( one leg drills for example )

Great advice. One-legged drills are perfect training for one-legged cycle races.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Something is not right if the tyre is melting.
First session the tyre was slipping a bit because I didn't have enough pressure, and it was quite sticky at the end, so I think it was just the friction. Second session I adjusted it for more pressure (ie more tyre bulge) and it was that one that generated the rubber beads - maybe just removing the melted layer from my first attempt?

As for getting specific trainer tyres, I'm restricted by having 27" wheels.

jay clock

Massive member
I do a weekly turbo session and it is great. We also go for a one mile run off the bike (brick session) as we are well hard triathletes )or tubby old one in my case). Personally I have dedicated wheel that I slip on with the turbo and have a special turbo tyre on that wheel.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Dedicated turbo trainer tyre is great if you can , i have an old spare wheel with an old cassette + turbo tyre on it so i can just swap it when i want to turbo.

The cassette is worn and doesnt index 100% but its close enough .
Today i did my session to this ....

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Dedicated turbo trainer tyre is great if you can , i have an old spare wheel with an old cassette + turbo tyre on it so i can just swap it when i want to turbo. The cassette is worn and doesnt index 100% but its close enough .
As it happens, I have a new freewheel/cassette and chain waiting to go on as the old ones are getting a bit worn, so I guess the answer is obvious - get a new wheel for the new stuff and keep the old one for the trainer. Indexing isn't an issue, as my old gear doesn't do any of that.

Viking

I've got a turbo-specific TACX tyre on a spare wheel and it works well on the turbo but was an absolute pig to fit.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
I've seen trainer-specific tyres, but not for 27" wheels. But I do have a spare 27" back wheel, and I'm sure the £6 tyres I've ordered will keep me going for a while.

Stephenite

Membå
I want to get Zwift/Bkool-ready kit for xmas. The usual suspect has been tipped off but the word is there's no progress to date.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've just got a cheap turbo trainer and I thought I'd offer a few initial thoughts in case it might help others thinking about getting one. But first a bit of background...

I'm only recently back to cycling at the age of 58 after a break of about 20 years. I also had a heart attack and quadruple bypass 10 years ago, from which I recovered remarkably quickly (and will be forever thankful for the treatment and rehab care I received from Liverpool's Broad Green hospital and staff). Since that illness, I've been focused on cardiac fitness - I walk at least 10,000 steps a day, push my old Mum around in her wheelchair for rides of around 5 to 8 miles every weekend (weather permitting), and I exercise at home too.

I bought a fairly cheap elliptical trainer and exercise bike shortly after my rehab. I love the elliptical trainer and have almost worn it out (when I use it now it creaks and groans more than I do), but I never liked the exercise bike - I guess it's fine as an exercise machine, but I tend to judge it as a bicycle and the geometry is all wrong.

Anyway, back to cycling, and I've signed up for the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool 100 mile ride next July as a target. In the (distant) past my preparation for a 100 mile ride was usually just a few 25-50 mile rides, ease up on the pub visits the week before, and then just get up and go - but I can't do it like that now, and I need some training through the winter.

So, I got a Tacx Blue Matic (£87, Halfords), and so far I've done two sessions of 30 and 60 minutes - and I'm liking it. For one thing, the geometry is right, because it's my bike on it!

It really is good being able to pedal away for an hour while watching telly in the warm and listening to the hailstorm in the background outside (though when other family members are watching Emmerdale or Corrie, it might be more of an incentive to turn it round and aim for the hail).

It's also nice having my fitbit and iPad in sync and watching my heart rate - it meant I could amble along at a pace of around 115-120 bpm, interspersed with short bursts to around 135-150.

It struck me that an hour on the trainer is worth more than an hour on the road, because there's no coasting and it's continuous effort. I also found it harder on my bum, as there's nothing remotely like the uphill resistance that puts the pressure onto the pedals (I'm breaking in a new Brooks Swallow, so it all helps).

The trainer is clearly very hard on tyres. I have a pair of relatively cheap Continental Ultra Sport slick tyres on the bike, and I like them on the road - there's no puncture protection to speak of and the walls are thin, but pumped up hard they feel great (and as an aside, even these cheap slicks are way better than the junk I used to ride on in the past, and tyres is an area where I'm really pleased to see progress). But they seem to have a soft compound, and I've managed to melt the surface and roll off little beads of rubber (hey, just like F1 drivers - I'm a mean cyclist!). I've since found some cheap tyres on offer at £6 each, so I've ordered some of those for use with the trainer.

Anyway, much rambling later, I'd encourage anyone who's pondering the purchase of a turbo trainer to go for it. I think my Tacx one is very good value (other makes are, of course, available, and I'm sure they're similarly good), and mine is going to get a lot of use. And it's really not a big investment to risk.

Meanwhile, 100 miles? Bring it on!

Alan
Well done, such a great state of mind and such fantastic results since your heart problems.

I also get lots of fine dust / beads on my turbo trainer tyre, but I do 3 - 4 intensive 45 minute workouts per week throughout the winter to the video embedded by @cyberknight above (unfortunately I can't cope with TV soaps, they would depress rather than motivate me).

Since I have a fluid turbo trainer with a defined power curve then there's no resistance control to make it easy and cheat. As such I can track my performance and progress using my Garmin Edge 1000 with an ANT speed sensor (on the rear wheel) and cadence sensor. I'm sure you could achieve the same thing with a cheap cycling computer.

I also have a heart rate sensor but I never use it either for riding or on the turbo trainer because I feel a bit uncomfortable placing it so close to the pacemaker which I received 2 years ago. Also, my cardiologist (who happens to be keen cyclist himself) told me not to bother with heart rate monitors and to rely on my own body telling me how hard I can push it (of course my situation is completely different to yours so that advice may not apply to you).

Anyway, I've enjoyed 2 winters of turbo trainer so much that I've just today ordered a 2nd identical setup so my wife can join me on her bike and we can provide each other with additional motivation.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I bought a cheap turbo trainer last week, from Aldi- £50 and it's a fluid one too.

First go today & I found it hard going; I only had 10 mins to spare and it was quite an effort, harder than riding on the road I thought. Maybe I was pushing too hard to do my usual cadence on my single speed bike.

Top Bottom