Turbo trainer, first thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorksman

I started with a cheap turbo trainer and an old bike and eventually kept upgrading until I got an Tacx iFlow with the TTS4 software. The most expensive part of my setup was the PC which needs some very good specs if you use the Virtual Worlds. But, there are plenty of films from Tacx and also from 3rd parties. Cadence VR have a lot of films which run on lower spec PCs and are aimed at users with turbo trainers not linked to PCs:

http://www.cadencevr.com/en/

I have been using my system almost daily and my heart has improved from a severe disfunction to a moderate disfunction. I'm confident that I can get it to improve further to mild disfunction. Just keep moving, steady as you go.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Alan O - my cousin recently gave me a Tacx turbo trainer and I was having problems with the tyre slipping on its roller. I did what you did and pumped some more air into it and that helped a bit. Then I discovered that there is a rotary control under the foot 'pedal' which is used to raise the roller to the tyre - the control can be turned to increase or decrease the distance between the roller and the tyre. Your Tacx turbo looks like it has a similar mechanism. Take a look under the 'pedal' and adjust that control! I managed to stop the tyre slipping. Keep reducing the distance until the tyre doesn't slip when putting a big effort in on the turbo. Don't make that distance smaller than necessary or you will increase tyre wear.

As for turbo tyres - I am using old tyres which are too worn to risk out on the road but should be good for a few weeks of turbo training.

AlanW

Guru
The problem with using normal road tyres is the amount of tension you have to apply to the roller in order to stop the tyre from slipping. Ultimately this creates a less than realistic feel to the trainer and often results in a "chopping" effect, instead of a smooth circular motion.

A specific turbo tyre is more tactile than a normal road tyre therefore it needs less tension so avoid it slipping

AlanW

Guru
The problem with increasing the pressure is that the tyre will deform less, so you would need to apply more pressure to avoid it from slipping. Ideally you need the tyre to deform a little to give it better traction against the roller.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
@Alan O - my cousin recently gave me a Tacx turbo trainer and I was having problems with the tyre slipping on its roller. I did what you did and pumped some more air into it and that helped a bit. Then I discovered that there is a rotary control under the foot 'pedal' which is used to raise the roller to the tyre - the control can be turned to increase or decrease the distance between the roller and the tyre. Your Tacx turbo looks like it has a similar mechanism. Take a look under the 'pedal' and adjust that control! I managed to stop the tyre slipping. Keep reducing the distance until the tyre doesn't slip when putting a big effort in on the turbo. Don't make that distance smaller than necessary or you will increase tyre wear.

As for turbo tyres - I am using old tyres which are too worn to risk out on the road but should be good for a few weeks of turbo training.
Yep, I found that adjustment knob partway through my second session, and it helped a lot :rolleyes:

Yorksman

Then I discovered that there is a rotary control under the foot 'pedal' which is used to raise the roller to the tyre - the control can be turned to increase or decrease the distance between the roller and the tyre. Your Tacx turbo looks like it has a similar mechanism. Take a look under the 'pedal' and adjust that control! I managed to stop the tyre slipping.

Yes, that's what it is there for. The Tacx systems which are connected to PCs have a calibration utility. You pedal to get the speed upto 30kph and then it tells you to stop pedalling and then measures the time it takes for the flyweel to stop. It tells you to adjust that wheel depending on whether there is too much or too little pressure between roller and tyre.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Appreciate he said that he needs a 27" but anyone wanting a 700 x 23 might consider the Halfords offering - doesn't have to handle well or anything on a trainer....
I use that tyre , does the job .

ColinJ

Yes, that's what it is there for. The Tacx systems which are connected to PCs have a calibration utility. You pedal to get the speed upto 30kph and then it tells you to stop pedalling and then measures the time it takes for the flyweel to stop. It tells you to adjust that wheel depending on whether there is too much or too little pressure between roller and tyre.
Ah, I had read about people 'calibrating' them but I didn't know how they did it.

The Tacx turbo that I am using was donated to me by my cousin. (He has upgraded to a better one.) He did supply the manual but I didn't bother reading it because the turbo looked very simple to put together and use. Ha - I missed that adjuster and did 2 or 3 sessions with the back tyre occasionally slipping on the roller! :blush:

fixedfixer

Veteran
Out of interest - what do folks think about different tyres when using the rollers. I assume standard are fine as you don't seem to get the same slippage as the turbo trainers. Apologies if I've moved too far off topic - "mods" feel free to move to a more appropriate thread if required.

ColinJ

Out of interest - what do folks think about different tyres when using the rollers. I assume standard are fine as you don't seem to get the same slippage as the turbo trainers. Apologies if I've moved too far off topic - "mods" feel free to move to a more appropriate thread if required.
We have already been discussing them in THIS thread! :okay:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
We have already been discussing them in THIS thread! :okay:

Only with regard to turbos, not rollers.

It's an interesting question. I imagine slippage is still possible on rollers but I don't know because I've never used them. I have experienced slippage on the Bkool Pro, which unlike other turbo trainers uses the rider's weight to make the contact between tyre and roller, so is more like a set of rollers in that respect - but the slippage only occurred when out of the saddle, which I know you're not really supposed to do on a turbo trainer.

ColinJ

Only with regard to turbos, not rollers.

It's an interesting question. I imagine slippage is still possible on rollers but I don't know because I've never used them. I have experienced slippage on the Bkool Pro, which unlike other turbo trainers uses the rider's weight to make the contact between tyre and roller, so is more like a set of rollers in that respect - but the slippage only occurred when out of the saddle, which I know you're not really supposed to do on a turbo trainer.
Ah, my mistake - that's due to me speed-reading and multitasking again! :whistle:

Top Bottom