Turbo Trainer for Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Does anyone know of any turbo trainers that definately accept fixed wheel bikes?

This may sound like the obvious, "they all do, they are adjustable", but in reality, they dont.

Some have issues with the narrow rear dropouts due to lack of cogs, hence either wont hold the bike at all or not tightly enough for correct operation. I know this since the turbo trainer on demo in my local Evans doesnt take my track bike.

I need a turbo that I can use both on my track bike and my CAAD9 for training over the winter (and because my commute doesnt exist anymore I want to use it now, so I can power away on it for 2 hours while watching the tour de france :sad:).

Thanks guys!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The one I used to run had clamps narrow enough to go onto 110mm dropouts- i'm buggered if I can remember what make it was though.

Domeo

Tacx do an extender piece that allows a track bike to fit their turbos. It is about £15. Evans can order it. I was looking at this earlier in the year.

AlanW

Guru
Domeo said:
Tacx do an extender piece that allows a track bike to fit their turbos. It is about £15. Evans can order it. I was looking at this earlier in the year.

Thats just what I'm looking for!

I dont suppose you know the exact description for it, or better still a link to it. :blush:

Had the same problem with a Tacx turbo. I made my own extension piece by brazing a bit of round bar onto a track nut, looks like a mini bmx stunt peg, works fine.

RedBike

Although I can't see any specific reason why it is generally recommend that you use rollers with a track bike instead of a turbo. (Maybe its just tradition?)
I used my road going fixie on an adapted Tacx fortius without any trouble.

On the turbo the bike doesn't have any momentum so you don't get the same 'fly-wheel' effect you get on the road.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I cant use rollers since I live in an appartment block and the noise would drive people nuts, which is a shame! Id rather have rollers if it was a possibility tbh.

Domeo

Sorry, can't do the name thingy, but this is the link
http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/accessoires/index.dot

RedBike

Rob3rt said:
I cant use rollers since I live in an appartment block and the noise would drive people nuts, which is a shame! Id rather have rollers if it was a possibility tbh.

Turbo trainers arn't exactly quite.

I've found that putting a foam camping mat down under the trainer and using a turbo training tyre seems to help a lot.
It's the noise from the 'vibration' that seems to carry through the house not the 'wind' noise.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Fluid trainers seem to be a fair bit quieter and smoother (less vibration?) though apparently, the neighours will have to live with a turbo, I can always put in on a mat like you said, rollers may be pushing it. Dont want to scoot of the size and burn the carpet either since the landlord has a good chunk of my cash as a deposit :smile:

Might ride over to decathlon, evans (going there to exchange my muvi anyway) or edinburgh bike co-op and ask them if I can try my fixed bike in a few trainers to see which ones accept and which dont.

Ill ask here since this thread already exists, whats the point of those CycleOps front wheel blocks that let you raise the front a substantial amount? I mean they arent going to simulate hill climbing since the bike is held by a trainer and not trying to go backwards as on a real hill. Just to simulate the different riding posture on hills to target different muscles?

RedBike

When you've got the bike in the turbo the rear wheel is raised about 1-2" off the ground. This means that unless you raise the front wheel by the same amount the handlebars will always feel low.

I've found the yellow pages to be ideal.

Burning the carpet is unlikely although you will need to cover it with something or you'll soak it with sweat! - Ukk!

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
RedBike said:
When you've got the bike in the turbo the rear wheel is raised about 1-2" off the ground. This means that unless you raise the front wheel by the same amount the handlebars will always feel low.

I've found the yellow pages to be ideal.

Burning the carpet is unlikely although you will need to cover it with something or you'll soak it with sweat! - Ukk!

Maybe I wasnt clear, I dont mean the normal wheel block, I understand this use, I was refering to the elevated ones which raise the front wheel up much higher.

http://www.cycleops.com/products/ac...ages_norating.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=8

If you fly of the rollers at speed your lack of momentum will mean you dont zip accross the room but the wheel spinning at speed will possibly friction burn the carpet :rolleyes: Believe me, it can happen, I've burnt another carpet with a bike wheel when spinning it then dropping the bike down onto the carpet to stop the wheel, lol - A moment of idiocy.

Radius

SHREDDER
I always assumed the other issue with a fixed gear bike is the solid axles? Don't turbos need a QR skewer hole to fix the bike in place?

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Radius said:
I always assumed the other issue with a fixed gear bike is the solid axles? Don't turbos need a QR skewer hole to fix the bike in place?

edit: Got confused.

Its more to do with the shape of the nut than anything else I think, if you are unlucky you default QR wont fit so you have to use the one supplied, sometimes you can use whatever skewer is on your bike, or so I believe.

So If it will grab the nut it should be fine. So assuming the nut is wide enough and fits into the clamp it should be good to go.

Top Bottom