Turbo Trainer - Roller Type vs Directly Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Fed up of the weather already, plus want to get back into it after injury, so toying with using a Turbo.

Just interested in the differences between the type where you use the wheel to turn a roller and the type where you remove the wheel and connect to a cassette fixed directly to the trainer.

For example, Tacx Vortex compared to Tacx Flux.

How much better are the direct type? How do they affect the bike in comparison?

Anyone used both and got honest feedback by any chance?

Last edited:

AlanW

Guru
The Flow is a great turbo, I had mine for many years with no problems at all. However, I then went through a phase a couple of years ago of buying turbo trainers like they were going out of fashion, Kinetic Rock 'n' Roll, Wahoo KickR and finally settled on the Tacx Neo.

And the summary is that I love the direct drive, the main advantage being zero amount of tyre slip and IMHO a much better road inspired feel to the whole indoor training experience. More accurate wattage figures as well if you are doing a specific training programme, although you will really need a third party device to record the figures to any degree of stability.

But of course such luxury's come at a cost. I cannot speak for the Tacx Flux as I've not tried one, but I know people that have them and have problems with them. But I've also heard of some bad experiences from Neo owners as well. Tacx aren't the best at responding to warranty related issues and sometimes their software updates leave a little bit to be considered and can screw things up rather than improve them. So I would suggest that what ever one you go for, purchase from a reputable source and NOT Amazon!

But if you go for the Flow, I'm sure that you will be very happy with it, regardless

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the info @AlanW. I have the Vortex already. Thought it was the Flow earlier, so have amended the original post.

The Vortex works very well, but I been getting fed up with the tyre slip and a work colleague just got a Flux for a great price. Hence me raising the question to see if anyone with actual experience can give a fair comparison. Interesting that there are known problems, but I guess I could find some on the Vortex if I went looking too. If I could get a fair price for the Vortex, then I could be tempted to move to the Flux for the difference in price.

It's either that, or look at getting a power meter as put some money aside in readiness.

AlanW

Guru
I had a Vortex after the Flow and before all the others, but I only kept that for one winter and the flywheel bearings started making some awful "clicking" noises and it was returned to Wiggle for a refund. Other than that it was a great step up from the Flow, and who knows if it wasn't for the bearing issue I might still have it. But it is a known issue with them, hence my desire to return it while it was still just under warranty.

But the Neo is indeed another dimension, and IMHO well worth the money if like me you do a lot of indoor riding

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have not been doing a huge amount of indoor riding, for various reasons, but I am planning on changing that over the next few months.

Wonder how much difference there is between Flux and Neo then?

AlanW

Guru
The big plus for me was there is no need to calibrate the Neo every time you wanted to ride. Plus the ride vibration effect is brilliant and immerses you more into the world of indoor training. Apparently the software can be programmed to replicate any road surface? Doing Zwift on it is superb, and the demo rides on Tacx on the cobbled streets/tracks of the Flanders is amazing.

It also packs away quite small compared to the Flux, but as I said above, such luxuries come at a cost.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
That does smack of cheating a bit, but I like your style. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Just read the DC Rainmaker Review. Very good review for it, especially for the price compared to the Neo. Very tempted at this point.

huwsparky

Über Member
Direct drive Vs wheel on is night and day difference. Ive got an Elite Direto and can sprint at a 1000w and it's rock solid up to that power and beyond would be my guess. And like DC Rainmaker says, If you've got to ask what a 1000w is then it'll definitely be fine.

If you can stretch to direct drive then go for it, it's much better for interval training and feel in general. Don't know what power meter you use but it tracks very accurately to my Stages unit. After getting over the cost I'm chuffed I bought it.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I am still to get a power meter. Keep hearing different opinions on whether it’s worthwhile, although still tempted.

Your review of the Direct Drive Turbo is interesting though @huwsparky. Definitely sounds like a future purchase.

All purchases are on hold at present. Hoping to get some sort of feedback from my claim in the next 2 weeks, although it is a touch wishful thinking I reckon.

Top Bottom