Turbo trainer with virtual reality screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Is there such a thing as a turbo trainer that hooks the bike up to a large screen so that you get the feel of riding through real roads countryside etc in your living room?

Tacx do 2 or 3 VR models depending on how much you want to pay and how much resistance you want the unit capable of. The limiting factor I find is that the unit can only really start to generate resistance above 10kmh which is pretty hard to achieve on a 14%+ slope for any length of time.

The newer videos are excellent quality with the latest being on Blu Ray giving HD images for a 220 km route along the Route Des Grandes Alpes.

http://www.tacx.com/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there such a thing as a turbo trainer that hooks the bike up to a large screen so that you get the feel of riding through real roads countryside etc in your living room?
I reckon that New Zealand tour is what you need to get you through the coming winter, not a turbo trainer! :thumbsup:

(Having said that, I can verify that oldfatfool's winter turbo training was highly effective - he emerged much leaner and fitter than before the winter!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is some of that tarmac stuff right outside the front door, then there is also some muddy stuff not far away ! Real reality. :tongue:

suffolkcindy

A friend of mine made his own video and just replayed it while he was on the turbo in winter. Seems cheap option although for some reason feels a little 'sad'
But then turbo ing on my own in a garage is very sad :smile:
Lets ALL go to new zealand!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm designing a hyper-reality turbo trainer. It consists of a real bike ridden outdoors, so the rider can see and hear things. The aim is to recreate the real cycling experience as much as possible while dispensing with expensive training devices.

Just got to think of a name for my invention. Do you think the name "bicycle" will sell?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I'm designing a hyper-reality turbo trainer. It consists of a real bike ridden outdoors, so the rider can see and hear things. The aim is to recreate the real cycling experience as much as possible while dispensing with expensive training devices.

Just got to think of a name for my invention. Do you think the name "bicycle" will sell?

You could add a very expensive full HD camera that feeds some glasses that have small tv screens in them so it looks and feels just like the real thing, then put a picture of a fruit on it and tell everyone how well built it is and it will sell like hot cakes fruit :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could add a very expensive full HD camera that feeds some glasses that have small tv screens in them so it looks and feels just like the real thing, then put a picture of a fruit on it and tell everyone how well built it is and it will sell like hot cakes fruit :wacko:

Have you been on the ale already ? :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

nope, you have it all wrong.

Your idea is sound but frankly your marketing is letting you down.

You really need to engage with your audience and invoke feelings of technology and freedom. Single letters are big right now as is the predilection to place an "i" in the name of anything technological.

perhaps focus on Being at one, Being out and Being involved.

"B" seems a good start.

Now, to focus on the great outdoors, the fresh air the hills, the ups and the downs, like Hiking.

perhaps "hike" is a good tag

I've got it...

I propose B-ike

suffolkcindy

Hang on...there is ice in winter and it took me two years to get over my last head tarmac interaction so please dont be TOO dismissive of us folks who try and keep fit during icey winters...my personal solution is to bugger off to warmer countries but not everyone can do that.
Turbos are useful, surely

Top Bottom