Turbo Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njsmith

Hi

Am trying to improve my cycling speed, as its a bit slow! I have started doing little triathlons and would like to be a bit quicker on the bike.

Would getting a turbo trainer hopefully improve my cycling speed and endurance? I know I should cycle more outside but sometimes isn't always possible, so thought would be a good way to get some extra training in when I have the odd 30-60 minutes free.

Also are the turbo trainers quite easy to set up.

The next thing would then be to move onto clipless pedals but one step at a time!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
turbo trainers are good for doing isolated legwork ie smoothing out your pedalling and ideal for short sessions - though you want to put in some easy base mileage in long (2-3 hour) rides so you have overall good endurance; then do some speed work when your body is conditioned to(super high rpm sprints) with longer recovery inbetween intervals to improve on power and some intervals that are less intensive but are designed to mimic race conditions.

I have a Tacx -easy- just need to screw in a quick release skewer and then good to go!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Looking at the weather.. we are getting monsoons arent we in July/ August in the UK now?
Cant train effectively getting piss wet thru.. so looking at TACX ANTARES rollers.
Got rid of the Tacx turbo as I couldnt be bothered setting the thing up.. there is a bit to do to get them out of the shed.. plugged in etc etc

Rollers .. down they go .. bike on.. get on .. ride

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I am wondering to about this indoor training and am eyeing up and Tacx Antares too.. Seems much more my thing, plus the speedo works on the front wheel..

These rollers any good/easy to use?

jimboalee

Davywalnuts said:
I am wondering to about this indoor training and am eyeing up and Tacx Antares too.. Seems much more my thing, plus the speedo works on the front wheel..

These rollers any good/easy to use?

Do they have Road Load Simulation?

Young Un

Personally, I wouldn't recomend rollers for building up speed/power, you need a turbo for this on which you can adjust the resistance. The rollers, however, come into their own when you need to warm up at any sort of event, between races (track) and as a warm down, as they offer little resistance allowing you to spin your legs easily and they also keep your mind ticking over as you have to think about balance. Turbo for speed, rollers for warm-up, IMO.

I've had a Tacx turbo trainer for a couple of months. Can't ride much until I've beaten the bursitis.

Cycling Weekly says they're good for power training, which from a medical recovery point of view I can agree with as I've been steadily improving through using it.
All my sessions are half hours.

The downsides are that you aren't moving, so you're going to get hotter, and the bike is not moving under you (unless you've bought something more pricey), so you may get problems with painful/numb nether regions.

Setting up was easy. Just replaced the rear skewer with the supplied one, and the trainer clamps onto that. The roller/weight then presses with the push of a flap. I've got my 30 year old road bike on it.

SilverSurfer

I've got a Schwinn Jonny G Spinning bike in my (small) shed.

Personally I find them much nicer to use than turbos, no bike damage and you can do some upper body press ups etc. stuff if you so wish.

Mine was £80 off eBay - price of an entry-level turbo.

lukesdad

I only use the turbo trainer for 2 things control of HR and cadence anything else is a waste of time I use the cycleops simply cos you can control resistance be careful though they dont fit every skewer.

i was looking at the cycleops fluid 2

are these things noisy? (trainers in general) i don't want to upset any neighbours

Top Bottom