Turbo trainers - how to work out distance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Ok, you can use a cycling computer on the back wheel, but apart from that how do you know how far you have gone using a turbo trainer?

(Probably a really stupid question btw)

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
tbh you've answered your own question, switch your comp setup to the back wheel.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Pointless measuring distance on a static trainer IMO.

Do some interval training instead.
tbh, I find stationary trainers less boring that way (recording artificial distance); if I feel myself getting bored, I can push myself harder to reach a certain distance I find time goes quicker that way :thumbsup:

Hip Priest

Veteran
tbh, I find stationary trainers less boring that way (recording artificial distance); if I feel myself getting bored, I can push myself harder to reach a certain distance I find time goes quicker that way :thumbsup:

Different (pedal) strokes for different folks I guess.

Turbos are incredibly boring.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Turbos are incredibly boring.

Amen to that.

and on the 7th day Satan created the turbo trainer :evil:

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
And on the 8th day he created Rollers ;)

I've always wanted a go on some rollers, but I definitely don't want to own any.

However, I don't know anyone local with a set, and the only place I know I could have a dabble is the Manchester Velodrome, and there is no way I'd even try in such a public forum :blush:

Taxi Ambulance for Mr Smoo :surrender:

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've always wanted a go on some rollers, but I definitely don't want to own any.

However, I don't know anyone local with a set, and the only place I know I could have a dabble is the Manchester Velodrome, and there is no way I'd even try in such a public forum :blush:

Taxi Ambulance for Mr Smoo :surrender:

IMO they are slightly more interesting at first because of the concentration/balancing need but once you've mastered that they are not much better ;)

Top Bottom