Turbo Trainers, real training (money no option)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi All,

So after chatting to a few triathlon athletes and personal instructors i have decided that i am ready to take fun, casual cycling to the next level, with the aim of being able to take part in time trials and long distance (fun rides) in the next 12 months.

I currently am comfortable riding 15-20 miles with an average speed of 15-20 mph and shorter rides of around 5 miles at 20+ mph. I have now got my diet sorted and have a set breakfast and lunch, with a healthy but filling dinner which changes throughout the week.

On the bike front, i have a very adequate road bike (trigon carbon bike, please see other threads if interested) and am getting set to buy a turbo trainer for winter training.

I am looking to train for 1-2 hours daily, or similar with a fully prepared training schedule. This will be addressed and completed so i am not pushing myself too far. As winter is kicking in and i would like to monitor improvements closely, i would like to get hold of a turbo trainer with programable sessions.

As this is an investment i am prepared to address this purchase with an open budget and therefore have been looking at pretty swish machinery. VR kits have taken my fancy, but wanted any reviews/info on these machines.

Has anyone any further advice on makes or suitable models for programmable training? Or other equipment e.g. fans that should be purchased in conjunction?

thanks

Adam

jasper

I've got a couple and you can't beat them as a training aid, been using them since late 80's/early 90's.

I've an old Tacx (unsure of the model type), it's fan and fly and your bike attaches by removing your front wheel and skewering the forks through a bracket. Also attaches behind the BB through the chain stays. The faster you pedal, the more resistance. Not adjustable so have to use your gears accordingly but still gives a decent workout. I've rigged a tube up from the back of the fan to come up so that it blows cold air into my face, primative, yet effective. The only thing that lets it down is the noise, not a problem for me but sometimes the other half whinges when she trying to watch TV.

I've also got the Tacx Satori, very good and small enough to take to events to warm up on etc:

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?l...&lvlSub=57&lvlSubSub=303&ttop=Satori Pro Tour

To beat the boredom factor on longer sessions, I'm thinking of getting the Tacx Fortius Multiplayer:

http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/vr-trainers

As well a racing against the interactive screen, you can also race/train with your mate on the other side of the world...as long as they've bought one too lol

Yup, you need a fan as you'll sweat buckets and either get one of those sweat covers :

http://www.tacxvr.com/en/products/accessories

or throw a towel over your bars otherwise the sweat will corrode your bike over time.

Last year at the cycle show the VR ones were on display and you could test them out....impressed me. Not sure if they are there this year but pop along to the show in a couple of weeks to have a gander.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
thanks for the post, that was incredibly helpful!

That was the trainer VR i was looking at, but potentially not the multiplayer version.

So id be looking at a mat and fan in addition and a screen (which is being purchased anyway).

Would a training tyre be a good idea? im running 700x23c gaitors which are virtually slicks anyway

jasper

I've not got a mat, probably would help as it would save your sweat from getting on the carpet. We have wooden floors so I just mop up afterwards. I think they can absorb a bit of noise too so may be worth considering.

I don't use a training tyre either as I ride tubs, so have training tubs/wheels on the bike anyway which I swap over to a decent set of wheels for competitions. To be honest, I've never noticed any wear on the tyre from using a turbo.

A fan is a must in my opinion, you'll end up sweating buckets even with a moderate workout.

Peter

I've had the Tacx Fortius for about 2 years. It is probably one of the best turbos within that price bracket. Elite also make a similar model.

I alternate between VR & Real live video, one day I'm in Majorca the next the Alps.

The motorbrake on the Tacx makes the ride as realistic as possible, although you don't coast as much downhill as on the road for real.

A training tyre is probably a good idea as the pressure on the back tyre seems to flatten it and I've heard it doesn't do the tyre wall any good (not that I use one!)

You will sweat - no doubt about that. I've wooden floors, so just sling a towel between the two wheels and have purchased the bike thong to protect the bike. A fan is essential but don't have it on too high as you will end up with manflu and we all know how bad that is!

If you plan on using it for more than 30 minutes make sure you have plenty of fluids within arms reach.

Top Bottom