Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I just downloaded this video from Youtube, connected my laptop to my Sonos speakers, turned the volume right up and had a very enjoyable (and tiring) 45 minute workout

I saw that one earlier and the rear lights got on my tits :laugh: Plus the music !

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I saw that one earlier and the rear lights got on my tits :laugh: Plus the music !
Did you find any others more to your liking? I would be interested in downloading a few more and building up a collection.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Did you find any others more to your liking? I would be interested in downloading a few more and building up a collection.
The GCN site did have a few and surfing you tube turned up a few more but I ended up going out and riding . I only bought the turbo for the new TT bike and that's not turning up until Monday . I don't really want to put my good bike on it to be honest .

Better than doing nothing! Though if you have a Heart Rate Monitor why don't you try reversing it - 4 minute intervals with 1 minute break, start with 3 x 4min intervals and add an interval each session, up to maximum 1 hour. Get your heart rate up near your threashold (but not over - so if 160bpm is your threashold get to 155bpm and hold it there) for the 4 minutes then pedal easy for 1 minute.

I don`t have a heart rate monitor but over the hols found an app that uses my camera on the phone - I was of course thought it was a bit dubious but it was actually relatively close when I just counted my pulse over a minute. Not as accurate as a HRM but at least it gives me some kind of idea!.

By the way, how do you know what your treashold is without keeling over - fwiw, my resting heart rate is normally around 45/50bpm

Fubar

Guru
I don`t have a heart rate monitor but over the hols found an app that uses my camera on the phone - I was of course thought it was a bit dubious but it was actually relatively close when I just counted my pulse over a minute. Not as accurate as a HRM but at least it gives me some kind of idea!.

By the way, how do you know what your treashold is without keeling over - fwiw, my resting heart rate is normally around 45/50bpm

I'm sure there are various ways of measuring it but if you do a warm up then pedal as fast as you can on the turbo (and can measure your heart rate) it's the point at which you cant maintain the speed you are doing and feel like you are struggling - generally once I get above 170bpm I really struggle. STOP as soon as you think you are there, it doesn't take long. I think you can also do a "ramp test" and I'm sure there will be other suggestions but your threshold is basically the point that you could keep pedalling at your fastest speed without it dropping off.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Quick update turbo got little use from myself over the winter period due to being able to get on the bike as and when required to keep a level of fitness :laugh:

But it the other half has started using it in the last couple of weeks to try and improve her leg strength which is very poor for various medical reasons and in 3 weeks she has managed to go from doing 4 minutes to 8 minutes this week , which is a good increase her target is to beable to sit on the back of our tandem and to do a short ride , so fingers crossed

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Since Christmas, I have worked out (to the 45 minute CTXC video) on my Turbo Trainer an average of 4 times a week. The weather and the state of the roads round here have not enticed me back onto the roads yet, but that's all about to change because when the clocks go forward I shall be packing away my Turbo Trainer until next winter.

SimonH

Regular
Ive used Turbo Trainers and find them boring ,so ive just bought a heavy duty ,decent quality spinning bike off ebay ( xgym), it feels like a real bike and you can give it rockall ,have a good workout with out wearing out your bike and sweating all over it,i paid £200 ,you need to pay for a heavy flywheel for a real cycle feel,mines a bodybike.

Top Bottom