Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
starting to see and feel a little improvement since using turbo regular , but an awful long way to go yet

KierenT

Regular
Given the number of pins, plates and rods that hold my legs together, stepping into the pro training game would be pointless for me. That said, time on the trainer has improved my endurance enormously, mostly through intervals. Can now maintain an average HBM of 170 over the course of an hour during a flat ride, and maintain 189 for 4 mins on some of the worst climbs around here. Without vomiting, anyway

Blue

Legendary Member
Given the number of pins, plates and rods that hold my legs together, stepping into the pro training game would be pointless for me. That said, time on the trainer has improved my endurance enormously, mostly through intervals. Can now maintain an average HBM of 170 over the course of an hour during a flat ride, and maintain 189 for 4 mins on some of the worst climbs around here. Without vomiting, anyway
If that keeps you happy and motivated it's the way to go.

Combi

Improve it to what? I really don't get this obsession with cadence.

I recall reading somewhere (book? magazine? bathroom stall?) that training at high cadence is supposed to smooth your normal cadence and help you deliver more power all the way around. No idea if it's helped me at all, but I do both kinds of exercise at least for the variety.

Brad123

I'm getting on the well with the turbo. Tried to do a 2 hours on it over the weekend at work as I had the time. But after 1 hour 40 minute I got off got very board.
Something else is when doing intervals I thought I would try watch some stuff off YouTube. That did not work for me as when the legs start so go I start to zone out can watch any thing but the clock and must keep going.
Music helps as long as it has the same tempo as my cadence and can zone in on the beat and try put out the pain.
How do all of use out their deal with I must not stop when all you want to do is stop.

How do all of use out their deal with I must not stop when all you want to do is stop.

Discipline...

Blue

Legendary Member
If my head/legs are screaming at me to stop during intervals I remind myself that dealing with such issues is why I'm doing the intervals in the first place and carry on while digging deep and screaming back louder than the voice of the quitter in my head.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well the turbo got its first dusting and spin up last night , not used it since earlier in the year as the weather has been good enough to ride , but the wind yesterday curtailed my riding miles .

all i can say is that its still as boring as ever

well the turbo got its first dusting and spin up last night , not used it since earlier in the year as the weather has been good enough to ride , but the wind yesterday curtailed my riding miles .

all i can say is that its still as boring as ever
I have had a turbo trainer for 5 yrs - during winter i do three 1hr sessions per week - to get rid of the bordam - i put the head phones on linked to a cd player and play my favorite music - most cds last about an hr - you would be amazed how fast the time passes

screenman

Legendary Member
If you tell yourself before you get on it that it will be boring, then most likely will be.

Have a plan stick to the plan and know why you have a plan. Limit your time on it to 40 minutes, breaking it into 10 minute sections in your head and the boring bit soon goes.

If you can find a Peter Reads turbo training book then there are some good tips in there.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I ride the turbo, steady state for up to 4 hours at a time for a total of 12-14 hours a week, generally with up to 3, 3 hour sessions and 2 shorter, 2 hour sessions. It isn't any more boring than the road if you treat it for what it is and come at it with a purpose.

Top Bottom