Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm So how come it felt so much harder. I feel comfortable at 95 rpm could that be why it was harder

Like I said before - I would just ignore cadence altogether, as it sounds like this is all getting very confusing and it really shouldn't be. It's the intensity of the effort level you are training, not the speed of the pedals.

Brad123

Like I said before - I would just ignore cadence altogether, as it sounds like this is all getting very confusing and it really shouldn't be. It's the intensity of the effort level you are training, not the speed of the pedals.
OK wont look at cadence any more just peddle (pedal thanks Dusty) hard.

Thanks again ALL for all the help.

Last edited:
Between 15 minute intervals I would recover for 5-8 minutes.
Some interesting responses here. I'll put this session into context. It is base pace, designed to prepare my aerobic base. The intervals vary in length from 10-15 minutes over three weeks. The recovery is always 3 minutes. EFR have suggested that this should be done at around 171w which equates to around 18 mph according to my turbo's power curve. I've done the longer intervals at around 17.5 mph which is very much at tempo/base pace. Putting a HRM on proved very interesting and somewhat confusing as none of the intervals strayed out of Level 2. Fwiw I'm mid-fifties, max HR around 165bpm, max HR in intervals was 135bpm around 75% of maximum. I am using these sessions to compensate for not going out on the road as a 'lone wolf'' during the winter months, so for the time being it is my long ride. The next block which I will start next week will involve 10 minute tempo/threshold sessions until mid Jan with decreasing recovery intervals starting at 4 minute down to 2 minutes now I have got the aerobic base in place. Will be interesting to see where this takes me. All comments are most welcome on this and tbh I don't take offence easily. I am quite aware of place in the pantheon of cycling. My main initial aim is to stop the steady bleed of speed in the latter quarter of rides which seems to take effect on false flat/ head wind sections. OPn mst of my favoured routes I am always heading W/SW so am frequently fighting against the wind whatever the strength.

Sorry, but riding intervals on the turbo at 75% of MHR is a complete and utter waste of what could and should be quality training time. In my opinion, there is not enough effort there to see any adaption or training benefit whatsoever. You will not prepare your aerobic base by riding in it for 15 minutes at a time.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you want to build your aerobic base, then try riding for hours at a time at an aerobic intensity, 15 mins of aerobic effort should not tax you at all!

Brad123

Did my first 2 x 20 minute this morning. Boy 20 minutes is long. Started off on a nice pace watching some old tour de France was not going to look at the clock and see how I do. Must be at least half way (leg are starting to feel it) so had a quick look at the clock 4 minute had gone past.
Well all I can think about is pedal hard, head down and got to the end. Same on the 2nd interval.
Felt finish but good after I finish the 2nd interval.

Brad123

Have just been looking on CycleOps site. Found a chart on power curve for the fluid turbo. looking at the chart it says at 20 mph(for eg) it about 260 watts. could I use the chart to get a rough idea on how hard I have work out if I hold a speed for ten 10 minute.
Or I just mad and just keep pedal.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Have just been looking on CycleOps site. Found a chart on power curve for the fluid turbo. looking at the chart it says at 20 mph(for eg) it about 260 watts. could I use the chart to get a rough idea on how hard I have work out if I hold a speed for ten 10 minute.
Or I just mad and just keep pedal.

I have not looked at the power curve. If you link it, I can probably check it against my power meter data given that I use a Cyclops Fluid2 trainer.

VamP

Banned
The power curve shifts as the trainer warms up too, so just be aware of that. I wouldn't wan to get too reliant on the power curve. Use it as an intensity benchmark by all means, but it's not really suitable for a detailed analysis IMO.

Top Bottom