Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just bought a turbo but mainly so I can keep my legs ticking over when I can`t get out. I`m not really gonna use it for hight training purposes and to be honest, I don`t understand half this thread. I go like the clappers for a minute, recover for four before going like the clappers for another minute. I do this for 45mins and have no idea if it`s doing me any good but it sure makes me sweat lol

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I feel as I said earlier, many people talk themselves into feeling bored.
I agree. I've done 30 minutes 4 days on the trot this week and no signs of boredom in sight. I just put my motivational music ( http://tunein.com/radio/Cumbias-Inmortales-Mix-s221717/ ) on full blast and pedal in time to the rhythm.

PS. It's not a scientific approach, but it's fun and it's also limited my Christmas weight gain to 1Kg (so far).

Last edited:

birdy247

A turbo trainer is an excellent tool to really improve your cycling. This is down to a variety of reasons, one of which is the "clinical" and "unpolluted" training environment you can create... No traffic lights, roundabout, cars etc.. to break your rhythm. You can also keep very close tabs on power/effort output and train in a very controlled power range for any given period of time.

As with any training, it comes down to "what are you trying to improve". The training on a turbo for a 10 mile TT would be different to that if you are focusing on road races for example (although both would share similar workouts).

If you let me know what you would like to improve upon, I would be more than happy to suggest a few workouts. Its amazing how some structure on the turbo will make time fly! Learn to love thy turbo, and you WILL get faster.

screenman

Legendary Member
Can't do turbo training. Brain starts to melt after 10 minutes so I'm pacing the house at the minute till weather gives me a break to get out. Might go to the gym though :cry:

If you are bored around the house why not get bored but with added benefits.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just got my first turbo and have been looking at the sufferfest site . Any tips for the best dl to buy ? Or any free ones would be welcome :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Just got my first turbo and have been looking at the sufferfest site . Any tips for the best dl to buy ? Or any free ones would be welcome :thumbsup:

Why not have a look at GCN on you tube, we were talking about them on here yesterday.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yeh, I can see your point but spin classes in gym much better. Some great views to take your mind of the monotony :blush:

12 miles each way to the nearest gym, I can finish a session in the traveling time alone.

Get your point about the scenery though.
:thumbsup:

AlanW

Guru
Me and a mate used to do a aerobics class and stay at the back, not coz we were crap (although we were) but the views were simply stunning :wahhey: It was okay till we were sort of rumbled and we were asked if we would like to go nearer the front or in other words right at the front! Oddly enough it didn't have the same appeal after that for some reason?

Fubar

Guru
I have just bought a turbo but mainly so I can keep my legs ticking over when I can`t get out. I`m not really gonna use it for hight training purposes and to be honest, I don`t understand half this thread. I go like the clappers for a minute, recover for four before going like the clappers for another minute. I do this for 45mins and have no idea if it`s doing me any good but it sure makes me sweat lol

Better than doing nothing! Though if you have a Heart Rate Monitor why don't you try reversing it - 4 minute intervals with 1 minute break, start with 3 x 4min intervals and add an interval each session, up to maximum 1 hour. Get your heart rate up near your threashold (but not over - so if 160bpm is your threashold get to 155bpm and hold it there) for the 4 minutes then pedal easy for 1 minute.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I just downloaded this video from Youtube, connected my laptop to my Sonos speakers, turned the volume right up and had a very enjoyable (and tiring) 45 minute workout

Top Bottom