Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry, but riding intervals on the turbo at 75% of MHR is a complete and utter waste of what could and should be quality training time. In my opinion, there is not enough effort there to see any adaption or training benefit whatsoever. You will not prepare your aerobic base by riding in it for 15 minutes at a time.
Indeed the HRM has pointed this out. I haven't intended to settle at this, but I wanted confirmation that the turbo intervals were indeed a little on the light side. I will emphasise however that I am 56 years old and taking medication for hypertension (high blood pressure in old money) so I tend to err on the side of caution even though I basically have no restriction other than my age to training. (confirmed by medics). As for EFR my next door neighbour has used it for the last two years. In the first year to improve his TT, and in the second as winter training for La Marmotte, In both cases it worked. Looks like I need to do Vo2 max test again. Not being precious or anything but 'utter waste'? I am sure it could have been expressed a bit more subtly than that. I certainly feel like I've had a ride at the end. I had by and large come to the same conclusion as you. Using speed as a proxy for power has obviously sold me a little short. I now realise this but only because I have ridden my last two sessions with a HRM.

The power curve shifts as the trainer warms up too, so just be aware of that. I wouldn't wan to get too reliant on the power curve. Use it as an intensity benchmark by all means, but it's not really suitable for a detailed analysis IMO.
Agreed. See my last post re use of HRM.

Indeed the HRM has pointed this out. I haven't intended to settle at this, but I wanted confirmation that the turbo intervals were indeed a little on the light side. I will emphasise however that I am 56 years old and taking medication for hypertension (high blood pressure in old money) so I tend to err on the side of caution even though I basically have no restriction other than my age to training. (confirmed by medics). As for EFR my next door neighbour has used it for the last two years. In the first year to improve his TT, and in the second as winter training for La Marmotte, In both cases it worked. Looks like I need to do Vo2 max test again. Not being precious or anything but 'utter waste'? I am sure it could have been expressed a bit more subtly than that. I certainly feel like I've had a ride at the end. I had by and large come to the same conclusion as you. Using speed as a proxy for power has obviously sold me a little short. I now realise this but only because I have ridden my last two sessions with a HRM.

'utter waste' - I'm inclined to stick by that, tbh, but I certainly don't mean to offend by it. If you are under no medical supervision or restrictions, then your age is not a limiter either. I know riders older than you who are still capable of top 10 finishes in 3/4 circuit races and open CX events (get @VamP to tell you about Dave McMullen). As Robert pointed out earlier, aerobic fitness is best served by 2-3hr steady state road rides, not 15min intervals at the same intensity.

VamP

Banned
Dusty is right on this @Winnershsaint

The beauty of the training zone system is that once set properly, they are appropriate to you specifically. Outside of medical conditions that would prevent you from training, there is no reason to adopt any special precautions due to age. People like Dave McMullen and Mick Ives are a proof that age is no barrier to high level performance.

As a teaser here's a shot of me chasing (in vain) after another golden oldie Steve Davies, the over 50s National Champion.

IMG_2791.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
have now fitted a cadence equipped computer which shows me running at a cadence of 88 , so i know now i need to improve that as well .

so more sessions planned

have now fitted a cadence equipped computer which shows me running at a cadence of 88 , so i know now i need to improve that as well .

Improve it to what? I really don't get this obsession with cadence.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Improve it to what? I really don't get this obsession with cadence.

i think a lot comes from the fact that i normally push a big gear along rather than spin legs like crazy , would just rather improve my fitness level so i can keep a higher cadence if only up to 95 for longer

Blue

Legendary Member

so more sessions planned

You may 'want' to change it, for reasons of your own, but stating that you "need" to change it implies that there is something wrong with your present cadence rate. 88 is neither right nor wrong.

Blue

Legendary Member
i think a lot comes from the fact that i normally push a big gear along rather than spin legs like crazy , would just rather improve my fitness level so i can keep a higher cadence if only up to 95 for longer
I wouldn't limit 'fitness' to being able to spin at a higher rate. Working on different areas of fitness may require use of different gears and different cadences that are session dependent.

Top Bottom