Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just said yes to my first turbo trainer in an aim to get a bit fitter , so i am intending to start off with 2 or 3 half an hr sessions per week .

this is on top of my measly 7 miles a day commuting , and the occasional early weekend 10 miler .

the fun starts next week
Ive had a turbo for 3 years - I do 2/3 one hr sessions per week in winter - if you go on line there is a site which will provide you with one which will suit you.
All you need is a CD player - a set of head phones - and the time will fly by.

cheers - Leigh ( mad pensioner )

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit had a week off last week for 1 reason and another but got back on this morning for a quickish 30 min session without any load just Chris Evans on the head phones

Brad123

I have been loaned a turbo trainer for winter. I used it at work , well before I start work. Did my first ride to day on it today, managed 36 min. Climbed of it finished.
Want to get as fit as possible for spring time.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have upped my time to 1hr at a time. I intend to do this 5 times a week. Already my legs and bum dont hurt as much and I feel much better. Should be raring to go in the spring. Keep up the good work people and keep in touch with your progress. We can encourage each other.

I've been thinking of getting a turbo trainer and have heard they can be boring but after a quick search there are some free turbo training websites out there with interval training, don't know if they are any good but I'm sure someone can answer that
Yes there are some good sites on line - i bought a turbo trainer some time - wouldnt be without it in winter - I do one hr a day 3/4 times a week - all you need is a cd player - set of head phones - and the time just flies
The plan i use is 10 mins warm-up then 5 mins hard ( high gear ) 3 mins recovery (low gear)
repetative leaving approx 7/8 mins warm down - total 60 mins approx

Last edited:

Brad123

I only have 30 to 45 min before work. Is that enough of a work out? This morning I did 8 min warm up 5 min hard then 30 sec sprint then 4 min recovery did it 3 times then cool down 5 min as I was running out of time. On week ends hope to do some longer rides 2 to 3 hours.
Goal is to do some time trails next year and if I brave have a go at racing.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I only have 30 to 45 min before work. Is that enough of a work out? This morning I did 8 min warm up 5 min hard then 30 sec sprint then 4 min recovery did it 3 times then cool down 5 min as I was running out of time. On week ends hope to do some longer rides 2 to 3 hours.

I think quality rather than quantity is the name of the game. As long as you can do what your doing for say 3 times a week, then you're doing ok.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes there are some good sites on line - i bought a turbo trainer some time - wouldnt be without it in winter - I do one hr a day 3/4 times a week - all you need is a cd player - set of head phones - and the time just flies
The plan i use is 10 mins warm-up then 5 mins hard ( high gear ) 3 mins recovery (low gear)
repetative leaving approx 7/8 mins warm down - total 60 mins approx

And you just repeat this same thing every time you get on the turbo?

The intervals sound ok - but how are you measuring effort?

Brad123

The intervals sound ok - but how are you measuring effort?
At the moment HRM and cadence. Cadence hold it at 100 RPM and on a gear I can hold for 5 min. HR is about 160 to 165 then when I Sprint the 30 sec up to 175 I max out at 183. Need to do another max test.

At the moment HRM and cadence. Cadence hold it at 100 RPM and on a gear I can hold for 5 min. HR is about 160 to 165 then when I Sprint the 30 sec up to 175 I max out at 183. Need to do another max test.

ok - I would not worry about cadence on a turbo at all. If you are holding an effort for a fixed duration, I would suggest your target measure should be intensity, not cadence. There is no problem with varying your cadence during the interval, provided you are holding the effort constant.

VamP

Banned

If you want to improve TT performance I would suggest longer intervals. 2x20 or 3x10.

Top Bottom