Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And you just repeat this same thing every time you get on the turbo?
Yes - but as i get fitter over the winter I use a higher and higher gear . The turbo has 5 settings - last winter i was on 3 this year i am on 4
I am also carefull to make sure that certain settings stay the same - when the bike is in the turbo i wind the roller in untill it is just touching
the wheel - i then wind in 2 turn - i believe that this replicates the pressure on the road
I hope this is helpful

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes - but as i get fitter over the winter I use a higher and higher gear . The turbo has 5 settings - last winter i was on 3 this year i am on 4
I am also carefull to make sure that certain settings stay the same - when the bike is in the turbo i wind the roller in untill it is just touching
the wheel - i then wind in 2 turn - i believe that this replicates the pressure on the road
I hope this is helpful

You could make MUCH more efficient use of your time!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
For a start, you could acknowledge that if you are completing multiple sessions as you describe per week, that you are not completing each one at a high enough intensity to force maximum adaptation, especially if you are able to complete each of your 3-4 sessions with the same success rate. You are essentially doing a VO2 max session, 3-4 times per week.

Then you could consider the type of training sessions you are neglecting. You are not doing anything to focus on your threshold, the single most important metric to any performance (or indeed any non-pootling) cyclist. Not only are you neglecting this, but by doing so, you are negatively effecting the effectiveness of your VO2 max sessions because you will not have the base to be able to perform the 5 min efforts are the required intensity.

You would be better off focussing on some high tempo/low threshold work 2 times per week, plus something at mid-high threshold and then ONE of your VO2 Max sessions. This session should be performed when you are most fresh and completed at the highest intensity possible.

For a start, you could acknowledge that if you are completing multiple sessions as you describe per week, that you are not completing each one at a high enough intensity to force maximum adaptation, especially if you are able to complete each of your 3-4 sessions with the same success rate. You are essentially doing a VO2 max session, 3-4 times per week.

Then you could consider the type of training sessions you are neglecting. You are not doing anything to focus on your threshold, the single most important metric to any performance (or indeed any non-pootling) cyclist. Not only are you neglecting this, but by doing so, you are negatively effecting the effectiveness of your VO2 max sessions because you will not have the base to be able to perform the 5 min efforts are the required intensity.
how do you know i am not reaching my threshold - i have not tolled you what gears i am using - front or rear - or what cadence i am achieving

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
how do you know i am not reaching my threshold - i have not tolled you what gears i am using - front or rear - or what cadence i am achieving

You are probably exceeding your threshold in the 5 minute efforts (at least you should be). However, 5 minute efforts alone are not exactly ideal for developing your long term sustainable power.

I know you are not doing any dedicated threshold work because you have essentially told us what you are doing in your post and that does not include any dedicated threshold work.

You are probably exceeding your threshold in the 5 minute efforts. However, 5 minute efforts alone are not exactly ideal for developing your long term sustainable power.

I know you are not doing any dedicated threshold work because you have essentially told us what you are doing in your post.
I understand what you are saying - but at 73yrs of age i have to be very carefull - I have done a lot of research in to what i can expect
- for example my lung capacity/capability is only 76 % of a 35yr olds - and i have been told that at my age ( no mater how fit i am )
a more gradual approach should be used with respect to reaching my threshold or even if i should be doing that anyway

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I understand what you are saying - but at 73yrs of age i have to be very carefull - I have done a lot of research in to what i can expect
- for example my lung capacity/capability is only 76 % of a 35yr olds - and i have been told that at my age ( no mater how fit i am )
a more gradual approach should be used with respect to reaching my threshold or even if i should be doing that anyway

I personally think that at your age, you should concentrate on just keeping your body and joints working and movimg. I would not be to bothered about anything else. Exercise that is the key word here and at 73 you are doing a lot more than some people, so well done and keep up the good work.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

VO2 max work is higher intensity than threshold work and whilst you have not explicitly stated you are doing VO2 max work, you have implied it though mentioning the 5 minutes hard, 3 mins rest session, which is classically done at well above threshold and is a very intense session, therefore assuming you are doing what is a classic session (you haven't stated otherwise, and you really ought to have done so if this is the case) the 5 minute efforts will be ABOVE threshold :S i.e. what I am recommending is actually LESS intense than what you are currently doing.

I personally think that at your age, you should concentrate on just keeping your body and joints working and movimg. I would not be to bothered about anything else. Exercise that is the key word here and at 73 you are doing a lot more than some people, so well done and keep up the good work.
I couldnt agree more with you - cheers ( I find that a glass of single malt whisky is of benefit at times )

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
15916"]I couldnt agree more with you - cheers ( I find that a glass of sembarrassing. whisky is of benefit at times )[/quote]

Absolutely, but I do hope you don't drink and drive when your on the turbo trainer. :laugh: it could result in you uncermoniously falling off which could be highly embarassing.

Top Bottom