Turned down for a job - possible discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be honest, I'd have thought that would apply to every position in 'sales' these days. Perhaps that's not the right kind of area of employment for you?

Well I there is sales and there is sales.

For example, in Ikea the "sales" people are there, but you only talk to them if you have a question. There is no push.

On the other hand there are places like DFS. Did you know they quietly put future models on the under-the-counter price list, even though they are not on display and there are no photos and the only way for a customer to even know they exist is to somehow see that price list, but they won't. That's so the day the new model is put on display they can legally say it's 50% off. Those sales people are pushy.

@Sandra6 you probably shouldn't apply for any roles that advertise commission. They are going to expect you to push. That's why they pay commission.

Last edited:
They are clearly looking for hard hitting sales people, and that I'm not.
Wow. The original interviewer was terrible in every way. Not only did he ask you illegal questions, but he failed to explain to you the nature of the work. That's really half the purpose of the interview, and the interviewee can be so focussed on making a good impression that they forget to ask so it's important that the interviewer makes sure they understand. No one wants someone quitting on day 3 when they actually realise what the work entails.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
So, yesterday was interview day. I very nearly didn't go, but I'm glad that I did.
I arrived super early, about 45 minutes, it's a curse I tell you. Anyway, gave me time to get changed and spruce myself up before having a calming hot chocolate. I had a little chat with the receptionist - interviews were held in a premier inn - and she told me there'd only been a couple before me and one hadn't shown up at all.
Interview itself was very "proper" unlike the last one. The guy had printed sheets with questions and wrote down everything I said, did it all by the book. But he did reveal that he and the regional manager and another manager and long time buddies who used to work together at phones 4 u. Need I say more?!
I was there over an hour -longest interview ever! It was very relaxed, I liked the guy, he smiled a lot and at the end he asked my advice on bulbs.
Do I think they'll offer me a job? No. Do I want to work for them? Not really.
They are clearly looking for hard hitting sales people, and that I'm not. But I'm glad I went and hope I can put it to rest now.
Thanks to all of you who offered sound advice and support, its appreciated.
Well done. A very good outcome.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
To be honest, I'd have thought that would apply to every position in 'sales' these days. Perhaps that's not the right kind of area of employment for you?
What jefmcg said.
I think of "sales advisor" as customer service, which is what I do, not wear them down until they'll buy anything salesmen like the ones that come round and try to sell you double glazing.
I could quite happily sell people furniture, but I wouldn't be obsessing over my commission or sales figures every minute of the day.
It is a lesson learned, and it makes me happy that it will have cost them time and money to readvertise and interview just to keep me happy, although I feel bad for anyone else who went to the interview yesterday.

Tin Pot

Guru
So, yesterday was interview day. I very nearly didn't go, but I'm glad that I did.
I arrived super early, about 45 minutes, it's a curse I tell you. Anyway, gave me time to get changed and spruce myself up before having a calming hot chocolate. I had a little chat with the receptionist - interviews were held in a premier inn - and she told me there'd only been a couple before me and one hadn't shown up at all.
Interview itself was very "proper" unlike the last one. The guy had printed sheets with questions and wrote down everything I said, did it all by the book. But he did reveal that he and the regional manager and another manager and long time buddies who used to work together at phones 4 u. Need I say more?!
I was there over an hour -longest interview ever! It was very relaxed, I liked the guy, he smiled a lot and at the end he asked my advice on bulbs.
Do I think they'll offer me a job? No. Do I want to work for them? Not really.
They are clearly looking for hard hitting sales people, and that I'm not. But I'm glad I went and hope I can put it to rest now.
Thanks to all of you who offered sound advice and support, its appreciated.

Everyone makes out that they need go getting, ambitious people who live to work and never sleep.

In reality the job consists of sitting down a lot and filling out spreadsheets.

If they offer, take it. You can stuff it later :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
ANd the moment you've all been waiting for ........
insert drum roll here

I didn't get the job!
I'm not surprised. Apparently I'm too nice. They need to speak to some of my nearest and dearest!
Hey ho. It wasn't for me. I'll be buying my new sofa from DFS

Oops cross post - that's a shame, but it's all experience.

Onwards and upwards, eh?

D

Deleted member 26715

I'll be buying my new sofa from DFS
I wouldn't, but anyway, lot's of these sales bods are wrong, if I walk into a store & somebody immediately comes up to me to try to sell something other than to say, "I'll leave you alone, but I'm over there if you need me" pointing to their naughty corner, I turn around & walk out, I like to buy not be sold to. But by the same token I also get annoyed if I can't find anybody to ask a question of LOL

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nothing here surprises me; Mrs Gti, formerly a successful and popular Area Manager for a luxury goods company, is looking around for an empty-nester's job. She is honest, experienced and hard-working and doesn't even aspire to a huge salary but in every case her age (59) seems to be counting against her.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I wouldn't, but anyway, lot's of these sales bods are wrong, if I walk into a store & somebody immediately comes up to me to try to sell something other than to say, "I'll leave you alone, but I'm over there if you need me" pointing to their naughty corner, I turn around & walk out, I like to buy not be sold to.
Which is in my experience what the overwhelming majority of people want, I operate the same "There's the stuff, have a look, give us a shout when you get stuck", tactic in my shop. It's not unusual when I say (from my desk) as little as "Hello" to have a customer then immediately reply "I''M JUST LOOKING!"
It surprises me that any shop still uses and gets success from the tactic of following round and wearing down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I wouldn't, but anyway, lot's of these sales bods are wrong, if I walk into a store & somebody immediately comes up to me to try to sell something other than to say, "I'll leave you alone, but I'm over there if you need me" pointing to their naughty corner, I turn around & walk out, I like to buy not be sold to. But by the same token I also get annoyed if I can't find anybody to ask a question of LOL

Which is in my experience what the overwhelming majority of people want, I operate the same "There's the stuff, have a look, give us a shout when you get stuck", tactic in my shop. It's not unusual when I say (from my desk) as little as "Hello" to have a customer then immediately reply "I''M JUST LOOKING!"
It surprises me that any shop still uses and gets success from the tactic of following round and wearing down.

This. Exactly. This is me, and I think it's why people like me and come back and ask for me. I say hello or good morning,or whatever, to pretty much every customer. If they look lost I ask them what they're looking for, find it for them and then say "I'll be at the front if you need me" Nobody likes the hard sell. Sadly Oak furniture land - boycott them instantly!! - like the slick, shiny suit types, and that aint me. Their loss, as you say.

Nothing here surprises me; Mrs Gti, formerly a successful and popular Area Manager for a luxury goods company, is looking around for an empty-nester's job. She is honest, experienced and hard-working and doesn't even aspire to a huge salary but in every case her age (59) seems to be counting against her.
Does Mrs Gti reveal her age on her CV? I'm quite clever with that, because my work history only starts about 10 years ago, so people think I'm younger than I am.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Oak furniture
I don't think you revealed the company before, but somehow I guessed from your description.

I'm fascinated by the company's business model. A shop has recently opened near our office. I've looked in a couple of times, and nobody appears to shop there. The stock is okay, not stupidly cheap but somehow cheaper than you think it ought to be possible to sell it at. And that's before the 50% discounts. And they're growing very rapidly.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
When I looked on their website prior to my interview, I was actually shocked how expensive they were compared to Harvey's and DFS and the like.
It's all about the add on's they sell too. You don't need anything that doesn't come attached to the sofa!!

Reactions: srw
Top Bottom