Turned down for a job - possible discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Why not contact the HR team directly by phone and ask for specific and detailed feedback as to why you didn't get the job, despite the role not being filled by anyone else as yet?

Yes creating a false account would be weird
It wasn't just one job on offer - they're opening a new store, so atleast 7 or 8 positions.

Would you apply again, and if offered the job would you take it?
Tricky. I don't have a burning desire to sell furniture, but it's £18k basic and they boast commission in the region of £1000 a month. I wouldn't love the job, but the money would come in very handy.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
It wasn't just one job on offer - they're opening a new store, so atleast 7 or 8 positions. Tricky. I don't have a burning desire to sell furniture, but it's £18k basic and they boast commission in the region of £1000 a month. I wouldn't love the job, but the money would come in very handy.

IF the commission is realistic. The consideration is perhaps also whether the interviewer was a maverick or reflects the company culture. The answers to those questions might say whether it's worth phoning HR and asking whether an application would be welcome.

Personally, though, I'd steer clear.

D

Deleted member 26715

Isn't allowing your child to get so sunburned you have to take them to A and E a form of neglect?
Possibly but you can allegedly drug them whilst you go out for a drink with friends & as your father is a friend of the Home Secretary nothing will happen. other than you then can stockpile a huge amount of money which is supposed to be used to search for the child but instead be used to pay your legal fees. But that is completely off topic.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Quick update - Leanne from HR rang me today, with good old Josh, and they've apologised repeatedly. Their investigations have found that Alan - the interviewer - showed no malice in his questioning, but he hasn't done any interviewing for a number of years and this has highlighted the need for training in that area.
His notes were "sketchy" but she was under the impression he had asked me to describe a typical day at work and to demonstrate the way I handled sales - he did not! I can see a copy of his notes if I want to, but I dont know what that will achieve other than he's written down whatever he wanted to. So, they have offered to reinterview me, but it will be the newly hired manager who does the interviewing.
I've agreed, but I'm not sure I want to go through with it to be honest. I highly doubt they'll hire me and do I really want to work for them?!
And apparently the job is being re advertised so they can "over recruit" to allow for people not taking up positions. But surely then they'd fall back to shortlisted "didn't quite make it" candidates - like, er, me?!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd have thought they'd reinterviewed all who'd been interviewed, before giving the posistion to anyone.

How do they expect the manager to interview anyone for their posistion?

I have to agree. I think the company is trying to put things right.

+1

If they offer you a position, I think you should take it. Every organisation has it's share of <insert word here>. How they handle them is the best way to judge the organisation.

If they don't offer you a job, then it's hard to tell what sort of place they are. You may genuinely not meet their standards or it may be Josh and Leanne are just keeping you happy and don't want you. So if you aren't offered the job, I think you that would prove you wouldn't want there anyway.

The original interviewer may have been "without malice" but the way you describe the questions, he was definitely taking your family status into account as an applicant which is illegal.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What have you got to lose?
If they offer it you can turn it down if it doesn't feel right for you.
If they don't, you're just back to where you are now.
p.s. If they employed the two chumps in the advert then you're a shoo-in:whistle:

Stephenite

Membå
I think you should go to the interview and give it your best. With the help of CC members advice you've done exceptionally well to be called in for another interview. You can use the experience of the last interview to your advantage. You can show them: a) you don't give up easily, b) you're polite and resourceful, c) you can use your network to solve problems. Lots of things to be learnt here.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks guys.
I decided I'm going to see it as a "second interview" and I'm defnitely forewarned for what the questions should be this time!
If they don't offer me the job, their loss, right?!
As @rich p says what have you to lose other than a couple of hours of time, I don't know how many interviews you've been in but going to another is good practise anyway. Even if not for this job but for the next interview that comes along, maybe at the end ask the interviewer if you can contact them in the future to get feedback, successful or not.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
So, yesterday was interview day. I very nearly didn't go, but I'm glad that I did.
I arrived super early, about 45 minutes, it's a curse I tell you. Anyway, gave me time to get changed and spruce myself up before having a calming hot chocolate. I had a little chat with the receptionist - interviews were held in a premier inn - and she told me there'd only been a couple before me and one hadn't shown up at all.
Interview itself was very "proper" unlike the last one. The guy had printed sheets with questions and wrote down everything I said, did it all by the book. But he did reveal that he and the regional manager and another manager and long time buddies who used to work together at phones 4 u. Need I say more?!
I was there over an hour -longest interview ever! It was very relaxed, I liked the guy, he smiled a lot and at the end he asked my advice on bulbs.
Do I think they'll offer me a job? No. Do I want to work for them? Not really.
They are clearly looking for hard hitting sales people, and that I'm not. But I'm glad I went and hope I can put it to rest now.
Thanks to all of you who offered sound advice and support, its appreciated.

Top Bottom