Turned down for a job - possible discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No, I didn't apply although I was offered a new interview, started with a company doing internal sales selling something totally different, clamps to hold glass in balconies and stairs.And I enjoyed it.
Often the way... as I say, things can sometimes happen for a reason and you end up in something much better. I hope that's the case for our OP, she should put it behind her and keep striving. The next employer may see her in a much, much better light.

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit I am learning things here, I often ask people if they have kids whilst in normal conversation, I did not know it was illegal.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I must admit I am learning things here, I often ask people if they have kids whilst in normal conversation, I did not know it was illegal.
A job interview is not a normal conversation, though.
It's an assessment of suitability for a job role.
Years ago I got refused an agency job because a young girl interviewer thought I was too old!
I wasn't, actually, only 40 at the time, but I had stopped dying my hair, she thought I was a granny returning to work, obsolete skills.
I remember I was so angry that I walked out on her, I mean, agency jobs are two a penny, the cheek of her!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If the question was asked prior to the interview would that still be illegal.
If not illegal, definitely dodgy. Once you've asked the question, how can you show that the information did not sway your decision.

IMO anyone who thinks that being shown round the factory/school/whatever before the interview is not actually part of the interviewing process is daft.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is still huge amounts of discrimination going on in the workplace. My wife was subjected to it at her last workplace, they cut her and another lady's hours, but nobody else, and they were the lower paid staff, what's the point of that. The admin team where I am now just seem to employ youngsters. They bugger off after a maximum of 6 months to get higher pay. Same routine each time, but its costing a fortune in lost hours and recruitment costs. We have a couple of older staff who have been happy to stay.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The admin team where I am now just seem to employ youngsters. They bugger off after a maximum of 6 months to get higher pay.
Yes, and while they are with us they spend their shifts being hangover or thinking about getting a hangover :laugh:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Yes, and while they are with us they spend their shifts being hangover or thinking about getting a hangover :laugh:
We had a scheduler in our Liverpool office who once posted on FB "just spent half an hour listening to annoying old fart on phone. Can't wait to get out on the lash tonitght". This was on a Monday, and the old fart was one of our directors. She came in on Tuesday morning, to find her password changed and her stuff in a box on her desk. She went home on Tuesday morning.

Senior67

There is still huge amounts of discrimination going on in the workplace. My wife was subjected to it at her last workplace, they cut her and another lady's hours, but nobody else, and they were the lower paid staff, what's the point of that. The admin team where I am now just seem to employ youngsters. They bugger off after a maximum of 6 months to get higher pay. Same routine each time, but its costing a fortune in lost hours and recruitment costs. We have a couple of older staff who have been happy to stay.

In my case after being in full time employment for 45 years with minimal time off, although I knew it would be difficult to get a job, I had a work ethic which meant I had to get a job, any job, perhaps it's an age thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm going to play devils advocate here. While they shouldnt have asked the questions from a legal standpoint and clearly need to tighten up procedures going forward it could be that there were indeed better candidates for the post, even if they are childless single men.
Please! I'm awesome :gun:

If the question was asked prior to the interview would that still be illegal.
You are advised against entering into that type of small talk because it could lead to accusations of discrimination.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

The issue is usually that the recruiting manager is insecure and as such employs people younger and less experienced than he/she so as to consolidate his/her position. It's not always easy managing someone significantly older than you

In a past life I had a team of up to about 50 people. I was in my 30s and recruited plenty of folk older than me. But I wasn't insecure about my position. All I wanted was people who would do a good job

Last edited:
Top Bottom