Turned down for a job - possible discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just about to fill in an application for a local bike shop -question on the form is "what bikes do you own?"
Surely that is a protected characteristic too?!
Just say you'd rather not say. Or call HR and ask what the purpose of the question is

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Just about to fill in an application for a local bike shop -question on the form is "what bikes do you own?"
Dunno about employment law.
But from my position of ignorance, I would have thought it was valid for people looking for employees in a bike shop to prefer to employ people who were actually interested in bikes. And asking what bikes you own is one way of doing that. If they only wanted people who competed, or who rode 200 miles a week - that would be unreasonable.

Seems perfectly good question as a gauge to someone's interest in and knowledge of bikes. They probably get a lot of candidates and want to winnow it down as much as they can.

If you feel that you bikes don't indicate your real interest, I'd advice you adding (attach a letter if necessary) other things that indicate your love of cycling, including your participation here.

BTW, if the interview described in the original question had been at a child play centre, then questions about your experience with children (carefully phrased) would be relevant and legal.

(I"m hoping your question above was humorous).

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Surely the answer to the question about how many bikes you own is "N-1"

Trickedem

Guru
I hire people at work. We have to have a licence to hire which involves a training course. Interviews have to be conducted using standard questions and everything has to be recorded and kept. The purpose of all of this is to protect the company from any accusations of discrimination.
The reality is that individuals can still be biased based on any of their inbuilt prejudices, but you will find it almost impossible to prove.

Reactions: srw
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Is it odd that the company are running their advert for sales advisors again? I keep getting sent an email suggesting I apply. I'm tempted to create a fake account , but that would be weird wouldn't it?!

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it odd that the company are running their advert for sales advisors again? I keep getting sent an email suggesting I apply. I'm tempted to create a fake account , but that would be weird wouldn't it?!
Why not contact the HR team directly by phone and ask for specific and detailed feedback as to why you didn't get the job, despite the role not being filled by anyone else as yet?

Yes creating a false account would be weird

I've lost track with this thread. Maybe if you have made comments about your interview they have been taken on board on the other hand maybe the so called better candidates have let them down ( showing crap selection on their part).
I would phone up HR and say you are still getting e-mail's and ask if there is any point in you reapplying.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would you apply again, and if offered the job would you take it?

Top Bottom