Turning 30

Turning 30 is..........

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seem to be living my life backwards. When I was twenty, I was in what turned out to be a six year relationship with someone ten years older. I was studious and responsible, saved my money, didn't drink much, wouldn't even have thought about smoking a spliff and used to spend my Sundays pottering around the garden and my holidays visiting a static caravan in Devon.
Since I left her at the ripe old age of 26, I've felt a little like I missed out on a lot of fun stuff, with the result that now I'm 37, I like a drink and a spliff, smoke rollies in moderation, spend most of my weekends playing guitar in my band (see my signature link) and just generally have fun most of the time. I've even abandoned the idea of having a respectable career in order to do something I enjoy. In short, turning 30 doesn't matter at all ... I've was old, old, old for most of my twenties, but now I feel much younger.:smile:

asterix

Comrade Member
Hmmm.. 30? That was 3 years before I started university and had a great time.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Turning 30 was fab actually. I really dreaded it but decided to make the most of the actual event, and once I'd done the deed and was actually 3-0 I really loved it. It sounds weird but as a woman, it felt quite empowering. Like I was now of an age when I should be taken seriously, but was still young enough to be a fox!! I really really loved being 30. The fact that I got engaged to and married to the most fabulous man on the planet probably helped, but I really found being 30 fabulous.

I've also loved being in my 30s...but birthdays are pretty pants after the big one.

Priscilla, enjoy it. You can still get away with ribbon for a bit longer, so go and buy it. I'm now too old for bunches in my hair, even when skiing. Boo.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Rhythm Thief said:
I seem to be living my life backwards. When I was twenty, I was in what turned out to be a six year relationship with someone ten years older. I was studious and responsible, saved my money, didn't drink much, wouldn't even have thought about smoking a spliff and used to spend my Sundays pottering around the garden and my holidays visiting a static caravan in Devon.
Since I left her at the ripe old age of 26, I've felt a little like I missed out on a lot of fun stuff, with the result that now I'm 37, I like a drink and a spliff, smoke rollies in moderation, spend most of my weekends playing guitar in my band (see my signature link) and just generally have fun most of the time. I've even abandoned the idea of having a respectable career in order to do something I enjoy. In short, turning 30 doesn't matter at all ... I've was old, old, old for most of my twenties, but now I feel much younger.:laugh:
I feel similarly about my twenties as I was seriously ill which overshadowed most of it. After I turned 30 and I realised I wasn't shuffling off this mortal coil I found a new lease of life and freedom and enjoyment in existence. However, unlike RT, I think I overdid the dull 20s and can't quite shake off the sensible, reliable personality to become someone more interesting, even if I'm enjoying life tremendously at the moment! And for me the 30s have been waaaaay better than my twenties, not only for the health stuff but also finally because I've begun to get a bit of a handle on the world and how people relate to each other.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
And you suddenly stop worrying about whether or not the cool people like you because you realise you don't like the cool people and are much happier without them. I LOVE that 30's confidence!!!

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

hmm especially love these last few threads, i have to say that although my 20's were fun, they were also hard work and full of too much self doubt. all that career shoot. Since turning 30 I must say I am more honest, I show when I am excited about stuff and not try and act too indifferent or jaded (what was I thinking)

I think becuase I have just started a degree I feel a bit old but in the same breath my heart breaks when i see these too cool for school types going in for dub step and the like, I KNOW how anxious they really are, aside from their exterior, you know they wont listen to you though, because there is no truer saying than 'youth is wasted on the young'.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've just returned home from a 30th birthday party.

The other attendees at the party were all between (I'm guessing) 25 and 34. They had all worked hard, for years, in a line of work which is, temporarily at least, collapsing. I'd guess that only one or two could look at their lives and say that they were where they would have hoped to be - particularly in terms of security.

My birthday friend and I talked for a while about being 30. She's living with her boyfriend, but my guess is that they're not even thinking about having kids. She simply wants to hold on to what she has got in her career, and, maybe, one day, move a rung or two up the ladder. If you asked her what she thought her 50th birthday would bring her, I doubt there would be an answer.

Still and all, she's more content now than before. She's worked out that if she doesn't tick all the boxes that everybody else expects her to tick, the world will still keep on turning. I think that realisation really kicks in when you reach 30, and it's a great blessing.

My line, when I reached 50, was 'so what are they going to do...tell me off?!

trio25

Über Member
Two weeks since my 30th and I'm loving it. I got a new bike for my birthday that helped a lot!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
It'll be ten years ago(in four months)since I turned 30.;)

I can only echo the sentiments about your thirties being the age where you realise you can finally start to drop any acts or pretenses of 'cool' and focus on the person you want to be.:becool:

i'm 5 years away and want to fit a fair bit in between now and then, planning to have kids before i'm 30,

i'll wait until they're dating and i can embarrass them then i'll grow up :tongue:

Top Bottom