TV detectives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
OK, so I asked ChatGPT

Write me a synopsis for a detective series featuring a detective with an amusing name. Introduce the characters.

"Detective Paws" is a quirky detective series that follows the investigations of Detective Rufus Paws, a sharp-witted and tenacious investigator with a nose for solving even the most puzzling crimes. Rufus has a knack for cracking cases that other detectives can't, but he also has a penchant for getting himself into trouble with his off-the-wall antics.
Joining Rufus on his investigations is his trusty partner, Officer Whiskers, a no-nonsense feline who keeps Rufus in check and often saves him from himself. Together, Rufus and Officer Whiskers make an unlikely but formidable team, tackling everything from petty theft to high-profile murder cases in their city.
Other recurring characters in the series include Captain Scratches, the tough but fair leader of the police department who often butts heads with Rufus but ultimately trusts his instincts; Dr. Meow, the eccentric coroner who always has a strange theory or two about the cause of death; and Lola, Rufus's charming and quirky love interest who works as a bartender at his favorite watering hole.
With a mix of humor, suspense, and mystery, "Detective Paws" promises to be a thrilling ride that will keep audiences guessing until the very end.

That'll be on Netflix by Christmas.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Cranium (Richard) Ex-paramilitary who still carries a gun - regardless of any legality to do so.

Gets the job done, mainly with information gained via hearsay from the pub landlord, sleeping with the wives of blokes he’s sent to clink, or by shouting at the local gamekeeper in a strong Hull accent.
*** ITV please note – Sean Bean would be excellent for the part. None of your namby-pamby Martin Clunes here please ***

Could be a DI or higher - nobody ever asks or dares to question. He’s the only copper for 200 miles anyway.

Drives a bright red 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz, despite living and working in a small rural village, where the nearest petrol station is 147 miles away and the roads are so narrow, he has to drive 87 miles before he can even turn the car around.

Although very few people actually live in or near the village, he manages to convict 139 people of 154 murders, over the space of eighteen seasons. All this, without any noticeable decrease in the local population.

Wouldn't work, Sean Bean is from Sheffield not Ull, none of them southerners here please.

presta

Guru
A haughty, slightly crumpled gentleman, Semaphore

OK, so I asked ChatGPT

write me a synopsis for a modern day version of Morse that replaces inspector morse with ADSL

"ADSL" is a modern-day retelling of the classic detective series "Inspector Morse." Instead of the Oxford-based detective, the protagonist is ADSL, a tech-savvy investigator who uses his knowledge of computer networks and digital communication to solve crimes in the bustling metropolis.
ADSL, whose real name is Alan David Smith-Lang, is a brilliant yet socially awkward detective who is often misunderstood by his colleagues. He possesses a photographic memory and an encyclopedic knowledge of computer systems, making him a valuable asset to the police department's cybercrime unit.
Throughout the series, ADSL and his team investigate a series of high-tech crimes, from cyber theft and hacking to identity fraud and cyberbullying. As they follow the digital trail, they encounter a diverse cast of characters, from tech entrepreneurs and social media influencers to dark web criminals and hacktivists.
ADSL is a complex character with his own set of personal challenges, including a troubled past and a strained relationship with his father, who is a successful software developer. As he navigates the complexities of modern-day crime and personal relationships, ADSL must also come to terms with his own limitations and learn to rely on his team.
"ADSL" is a thrilling and thought-provoking series that explores the intersection of technology and crime in the digital age. With its compelling characters and intricate plotlines, it is a must-watch for fans of both classic and modern detective series.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Every dodgy copper needs a snout, Wheels Blabbermouth was a top get away driver who had the choice between a 15 stretch, or having a vital piece of evidence miraculously disappear.
Brian Wilde was the prime choice for the nervous, chain-smoking Wheels Blabbermouth, but he couldn't get out of his LoTSW contract. The ro,e went to David Neilson in the end.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Fans of the Paul Temple radio series - which was the most formulaic series possible, will know that the snout always:

1) Has a colourful nickname: Spider Williams, Salty West
2) Owes Temple a favour. "You did alright by me Mr Temple, so I'll be straight with you"
3) Is horrified when he realises who Temple is after. "Nah Mr Temple, I don't know nuffink abaht that, and I don't want to. And if you knows what's good for you, neither will you."
4) Comes to a sticky end, very often with ambiguous last words. "Mr Temple, I gotta tell you somefink, it was ... urggh".

Fans of the Paul Temple radio series - which was the most formulaic series possible,
I have a lot of affection for that series. I do wonder if it seemed formulaic back in the day ...
Can you remember, Mr Trousers? Cast your mind back to ...
<googles... >

EDIT: what on earth is a "Butchers Booklet"??
Send_for_Paul_Temple_FilmPoster.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a lot of affection for that series. I do wonder if it seemed formulaic back in the day ...
Can you remember, Mr Trousers? Cast your mind back to ...
<googles... >

Ah, '38. I was working for Sir Graham Forbes back then ...

Edit. Yes it was formulaic at the time. I remember a story from one of the cast that they made a spoof episode one time, using all the cliches. The author, Frances Durbridge was rather upset and they regretted doing it. (This was from the "extras" in one of the DVDs - interview with surviving cast)

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Shirley Crowbar. He is only 5'6 but a 6th Dan in Karate. He has long blond hair and wear round glasses, a la John Lennon.
He is Chief Inspector and hates authority. He drives a Morris Marina cos he likes the 70s which is reflected in his choice of music.
He prefers working alone and hates paperwork. He doesn't drink or smoke but enjoys good food. He is single but has a long standing girlfriend.

tom73

Guru
Success will all be down to high-tech detectives office with compulsory interactive white board and magnetic board with pics.
Together with anything else to take away from the wooden, missing acting skills lack of believable plot and the the absence of any writing ability. It only truly makes it after series 901 and the equally and mostly worse sequel or prequel. With even more odd ball writing that was deemed too bad for including in the original series.

Top Bottom